SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Mikesutch
Mikesutch has a spectacular aura aboutMikesutch has a spectacular aura about

Default 2001 SL1 exhaust size request

My exhaust flanges rotted and broke off both sides right behind the O2 sensor. I'm planning to use split flanges to repair it but not 100% sure what sizes I need. I saw another post that looked the same. I'm thinking 1 3/4- 2 and 2- 2 1/4 would do it but just want to make sure before I buy anything and schedule time with my buddy's ramps.

Can someone suggest the best sizes for a 2001 SL1 and should I get something to stick between the pipes? A graphite gasket or something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_10131.jpg (179.4 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mikesutch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mikesutch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mikesutch is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 2001 SL1 exhaust size request

As an alternative you could cut the flanges off and weld a pipe in there to bridge the gap. How many times have you needed to undo that joint in the past?

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Mikesutch

I dont have access to a welder otherwise I'd just repair it the correct way. I've never had the exhaust apart before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mikesutch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesutch View Post
My exhaust flanges rotted and broke off both sides right behind the O2 sensor. I'm planning to use split flanges to repair it but not 100% sure what sizes I need. I saw another post that looked the same. I'm thinking 1 3/4- 2 and 2- 2 1/4 would do it but just want to make sure before I buy anything and schedule time with my buddy's ramps.

Can someone suggest the best sizes for a 2001 SL1 and should I get something to stick between the pipes? A graphite gasket or something?
the best way for a repair is to just let an exhaust shop weld in a straight pipe like they did on my car which to this day is tight & no leaks or rust there. cost me around $70.00. they also re-welded the sensor shield on the new pipe section. those split flanges tend to let loose & cause leaks/rattle I'm told. they strike me as just a temporary repair at best....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

I agree. On my 2000 that I used to have this same thing happened, and we tried the split flanges and it just came loose and leaked. It was more worth it to just go have the straight pipe welded on at the shop. I think I spent yeah, like $70-$80. Can't remember exactly but it was less than $100.

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold 246K
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold 165k
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold 223K

Current:
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - 139K?
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 265K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratwhisperer View Post
I agree. On my 2000 that I used to have this same thing happened, and we tried the split flanges and it just came loose and leaked. It was more worth it to just go have the straight pipe welded on at the shop. I think I spent yeah, like $70-$80. Can't remember exactly but it was less than $100.
even if the flanges held up they are just another piece of hardware that would rust out. the easy thing is to just let them weld In the pipe. while they had the car up on the rack they welded on new hangers on the cat converter & rear pipe. the steel hangers tend to rust & thin out over time. the last thing they did is to weld in a new stainless flex pipe. their flex pipe is made from high grade stainless & so far has not deteriorated, so my exhaust is ready for many more years of service.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
Mikesutch

Dizzy Re: 2001 SL1 exhaust size request

Alright alright. Fine I'll do it the right way..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!