SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
xzuesx91
xzuesx91 will become famous soon enoughxzuesx91 will become famous soon enough

Default 2005 Saturn Vue 2.2l no starter crank.

Okay this seems simple. Car will start if start terminals are jumped. But not by the key. Took starter out and to auto zone on testing machine works fine. Bought new one. Still no go. So returned new one and put old one back in. I have power at both larger wires. And good ground. Like I said jumping the small wire terminal to large wire terminal the car cranks and starts. If I test for power to the small terminal wire will cranking it doesn't exist. I've probed as far go the harness as I can get and no power in that wire while cranking. Ideas??? Anyone know where and what wires to check at ignition?? I've been told there is no starter relay in this car so.... But I'm not the professional so... Please help guys. Much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xzuesx91's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xzuesx91 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xzuesx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2005 Saturn Vue 2.2l no starter crank.

Examine the wiring diagram below. Trace and measure the START (yellow wire) from the ignition switch (in START mode), thru the fuse panel, thru the Park/Neutral safety switch and come out as the purple wire to the starter terminal. It may be the P/N safety switch - jiggling it in Park or shifting to neutral may allow starting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (95.5 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuesx91 View Post
Okay this seems simple. Car will start if start terminals are jumped. But not by the key. Took starter out and to auto zone on testing machine works fine. Bought new one. Still no go. So returned new one and put old one back in. I have power at both larger wires. And good ground. Like I said jumping the small wire terminal to large wire terminal the car cranks and starts. If I test for power to the small terminal wire will cranking it doesn't exist. I've probed as far go the harness as I can get and no power in that wire while cranking. Ideas??? Anyone know where and what wires to check at ignition?? I've been told there is no starter relay in this car so.... But I'm not the professional so... Please help guys. Much appreciated.
See thumbnail ... possible causes could be bad ignition switch but more likely either the clutch start switch if manual or auto trans range switch (Park/Neutral) if automatic.

Please repost with transmission type for suggested steps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05 Vue - 2.2 Start Ckt.jpg (200.3 KB, 6 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
xzuesx91

Thanks guys I'll do some digging 2maro fdryer I have a brown wire at starter terminal. But before I jump to conclusion let me take a look at some of these eye candy diagrams haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xzuesx91 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
xzuesx91

Also fdryer any idea of the park/safety switches location. Obviously in shifter column area. Is there a way to test it. Other than power in and power out. Our junkyard up here has 6 Saturn cvt's all blown transmissions lol @fdryer can you take a look at my other post. That one is really killing me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I just read your transmission question and see that you have CVT. I also noticed fdryer was posting while I was composing - and he has a better diagram.

According to FSM diagrams you could go to 12 pin transmission connector and jumper pins 1 (yellow wire) to pin 12 (purple wire) which would complete crank voltage path to starter.

I wouldn't turn ignition to START until I was 100% positive the transmission was in neutral - otherwise starter motor could cause vehicle movement.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The Park/Neutral safety switch is most likely located on the xmission at the end of the shift cable. The easiest test for a malfunctioning p/n switch is moving it to neutral and trying a start. Since its designed to prevent starting in gear, its allowing starting in park or neutral only so trying each position should result in starter operation. Worse case scenario is the switch is faulty and simply bypassing it by disconnecting both wires and joining them together should allow starting. Beware that bypassing this switch now allows starting in gear if not paying attention to shift lever position.

I commented in your other post. Please do not presume I am in any way knowledgeable about cvt's as its a beast to understand when electronics and hydraulics are used to control variable sheaves making the cvt unique in the car world. Its basically a sophisticated version used all over the world as snowmobile drives. Unfortunately, GM acquired a problem child with this cvt as other manufacturers are using their versions of cvt's. I have no knowledge whether these other cvt's are suffering similar problems............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electrical center component views.jpg (183.8 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #8
xzuesx91

Fdryer thanks a bunch on the p/n switch. It fixed it! Good thinking sir. Now please let's figure this transmission out. Lol good man.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!