SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Murderotica024
Murderotica024 is on a distinguished road

Default Downshifts from 4th to 3rd on its own & Reverse Slam

97 Saturn SW2

This has been an ongoing problem that I have when driving on the highways. I will be cruising along at about 65-70 mph in 4th gear and then out of nowhere my car downshifts and will rev up to about 3500 RPM. If I'm lucky I can slow down to about 50-55 to drop the RPMs under 3000 and sometimes it will shift back up into 4th and then be fine for the rest of the drive. Each time it has happened and I get it back to 4th gear, it doesn't happen again. Even on long drives of a few hours. I had an incident yesterday that I couldn't get it to shift back to 4th gear (SES light came on) and after quite a few miles, I pulled over, turned the car off and let it sit a few minutes. Turned it on, got back on the highway and it was fine the rest of the drive. SES light doesn't always come on and I have also had issues with the "reverse slam" I have read about on these forums. After reading through some posts, I just wanted to check and see if there is a checklist you guys go through before I just buy a Valve Body and hope that it is the fix. Maybe check the solenoids first or a fluid flush and replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Murderotica024's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Murderotica024 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Murderotica024 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Downshifts from 4th to 3rd on its own & Reverse Slam

I think you are intermittently losing power to your 3rd gear Solenoid which will engage 3rd gear. Maybe first look for burned contacts on your Tranny Harness plug. If it looks OK measure your Solenoid resistance. If those check out, you could have a loose connection/bad wire between the TRS Fuse and the Solenoid or the Solenoid and PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Are you sure it is downshifting and not the TCC unlocking?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamping.ap View Post
Are you sure it is downshifting and not the TCC unlocking?
The OP says he's getting an SES Lgt - probably a good idea to try read some trouble codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

If it is indeed just unlocking the torque converter then I'm actually going to suggest something completely strange but completely plausible - because it happened to me.

Check your ECTS connection and the wires going to it from the wire loom. I had a car where it had the ECTS changed and a new connector butt spliced in. Turns out the splice had exposed copper and when the momentum of the car would change the wire shifted and contacted the engine and grounded itself. A grounded ECTS wire says "Engine cold!" and the torque converter doesn't engage by design.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Murderotica024

The light came back on randomly while my car was warming up before leaving work. I stopped in at AutoZone to get the errors read and this is what came out:

P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Error
P0731 - Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio
P0734 - Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio

I am going to check the solenoids in the valve body and see what readings I get. I was also going to just replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor when I check the solenoids. Figured these could be tested before I go pulling the whole Valve Body out of the car.

Last edited by Murderotica024; 02-04-2016 at 10:36 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Murderotica024 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderotica024 View Post
The light came back on randomly while my car was warming up before leaving work. I stopped in at AutoZone to get the errors read and this is what came out:

P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Error
P0731 - Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio
P0734 - Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio

I am going to check the solenoids in the valve body and see what readings I get. I was also going to just replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor when I check the solenoids. Figured these could be tested before I go pulling the whole Valve Body out of the car.
How many miles on the '97? You might want to tackle that P0341 first. Plenty of threads on that - use "Search this forum' in the upper right. Here's one . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ighlight=P0341

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Murderotica024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
How many miles on the '97? You might want to tackle that P0341 first. Plenty of threads on that - use "Search this forum' in the upper right.
Just over 150,000 miles.

I saw a video by Richpin that talks about replacing the spark plugs and spark plug wires to combat that error. So, I will do that this weekend and see if that helps.

Another question; can those errors be read by AutoZone without my engine light actually being on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Why are you thinking of replacing the CKP (CranK Position) sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
Murderotica024

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Why are you thinking of replacing the CKP (CranK Position) sensor?
I thought the Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor were the same thing. After reading more over on these forums I have realized I was wrong and won't be replacing that at this time. I'm pretty new to the idea of working on my car at a level beyond oil and brake changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Okay, I understand. I was just trying to keep you from "throwing parts at it", that is often an overly-expensive approach. Do you understand there is no actual CMP (CaM Pos) on this engine? That signal is synthesized by the ICM; often the problem is with plugs, plug-wires, or simply the plug-wire routing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Murderotica024

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Okay, I understand. I was just trying to keep you from "throwing parts at it", that is often an overly-expensive approach. Do you understand there is no actual CMP (CaM Pos) on this engine? That signal is synthesized by the ICM; often the problem is with plugs, plug-wires, or simply the plug-wire routing.
Yeah, I realized that once I watched the video Richpin posted about the P0340 & P0341 error codes on the S Series. I'm glad I have time before the weekend to keep researching because if not I would have definitely just been throwing parts at it and hoping something worked haha hopefully I can give an update this weekend about where my valve body/solenoids, spark plugs and input shaft nut stand and gain some insight about what my next move should be. I appreciate the help you guys have given so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
Murderotica024

Changed oil and filter
Changed transmission filter and fluid
Changed spark plugs and wires (slight amount of oil on the threading of the left most spark plug)
Checked Solenoids in the valve body and they were all between 4.8-5.0

Took it for a test drive on the highway and the downshift from 4th to 3rd happened again. Also, had a slight reverse slam when shifting to reverse before the car is warmed up. Would the next step be to check the input shaft nut? Anything else I should be looking into?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Took it for a test drive on the highway and the downshift from 4th to 3rd happened again. Also, had a slight reverse slam when shifting to reverse before the car is warmed up. Would the next step be to check the input shaft nut? Anything else I should be looking into?
The Nut cannot be causing the downshift and that usually gives you a P0732 which you don't have. Can you get the codes read again to see if you eliminated the P0300 and 341?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Here is the TAAT schematic. I'm thinking you have a sketchy connection somewhere between the TRS 3/4 Fuse and the PCM - maybe at VB pin A or B . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1340060916

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
Murderotica024

Quote:
Here is the TAAT schematic. I'm thinking you have a sketchy connection somewhere between the TRS 3/4 Fuse and the PCM - maybe at VB pin A or B . . .
I am going to get the codes read today after work as long as I can have them read without my SES light being on. Once I see the errors I have I will get back to you about the 0300 and 0341 error codes. As for the schematic you just sent, is everything shown in that schematic located in the valve body? Again, I'm fairly naive to the complexities of these issues. Also, I read my solenoid readings with the valve body cover on. Idk if that matters when referring to connections being sketchy since I didn't directly test the solenoid itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
As for the schematic you just sent, is everything shown in that schematic located in the valve body?
No - the gray box on top is your UHJB (Underhood Junction Box or Fuse Box).
The gray box in the center is the VB.
The gray box at the bottom is your PCM. (The PCM applies the ground to complete the circuit and energize a Solenoid.)
The smaller gray box on the upper right is your Fuel Pump Relay. The engine has to be running to energize that Relay which will send B+ to the TRS Fuses.

Quote:
Also, I read my solenoid readings with the valve body cover on. Idk if that matters when referring to connections being sketchy since I didn't directly test the solenoid itself.
Your Solenoid resistance is fine measured at the VB Socket pins.
If it is a poor connection that is causing your downshift, it is most likely at the VB Harness Socket. I don't know if you can see a way to tighten those female contacts (?). I think a bad connection at the Fuse Box or PCM would be pretty rare. There is also a slim possibility your PCM is acting up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
There is also a slim possibility your PCM is acting up.
PS - Member Billr would recommend that you get a scanner that can display 'live data'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
Murderotica024

I bought a scanner and have eliminated the P0300 Multiple Misfire code everything else still remains

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #20
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I bought a scanner and have eliminated the P0300 Multiple Misfire code everything else still remains
What was it that fixed the P0300? See if you can get that P0341 cleared . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215123

REWARD EXCELLENCE!