SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
aesart
aesart is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL
Dizzy High Idle Problem ,Throttle body, actuator solenoids

Greetings!
2007 Ion 3 Quad coupe 2.4L manual tranny, 196k miles - other than the sunroof this has been an AWESOME car!...

I was having low power mode when starting, and the cruise control hasn't worked for a few years now, and when I read up on it everything was suggesting the throttle body; most mechanics said to just replace it considering the miles as opposed to cleaning it. SO...

Got a new GM original throttle body, and read that I would probably experience a high idle as the computer would have been used to the old one, and there is a technique for the "relearning" process to go through, but the trouble is it won't go through it despite several efforts, including a trip to the dealer, who checked the vacuum systems and found no other issues - in other words it "should" be relearning but it won't...

We've tried the key on after battery disconnect, key on after code clearing AND battery disconnect (I have a device that clears all the codes), running for three minutes, shutting off, trying again, SEVERAL TIMES, I've actually driven it over 50 miles like this (to the dealer and back), NOTHING WORKS... I'm idling at 2800 rpm on average...

Now, one thing they and I both found were error codes for the two actuator solenoids on the top of the engine for intake and exhaust, which may or may not be the issue, but I'd like to replace them anyway (NOT with the dealer ala "price"), but I'm having problem finding the right GM part numbers...

Once again, this is a rare bird, 2007 (last year they were made), 2.4L gas with a stick...

So does anybody have access to the part numbers and tell me what they are for those two solenoids on the top of the engine? They are right next to each other and have plugs on top, one grey and the other black...
I think one's the camshaft actuator and the other one is for the variable valve timing...

Please, if you can help, life with children and one car is, well, not fun...

Thanks in advance!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aesart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aesart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aesart is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: High Idle Problem ,Throttle body, actuator solenoids

Tried these sites?

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/

http://www.gmpartsdepartment.com/par...?siteid=214533

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
aesart

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL
Thumbs Up Re: High Idle Problem ,Throttle body, actuator solenoids

Wow! Ask ye shall receive!

Found both of them on the fist site... Thanks!

Last edited by aesart; 01-07-2016 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Wrong info in last post - removing...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aesart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Pulling the battery and clearing codes has nothing to do with the tb relearning. Also, you hae no vacuum system, just a hose going to the brake booster. You tried leaving the key on, engine off for 10,15, 20 minutes? The throttle will move, then stop, then it's re learned. Your engine was used from 2006-2009 in every small to midsize car gm made.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
aesart

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL
Idea Re: High Idle Problem ,Throttle body, actuator solenoids

Thanks, I'll try that! I have only left the key on for one minute at a time based on other threads I had read...

Question: I've heard not to manually move the throttle when it's powered up, but what about when it's off? (I haven't moved it yet for fear it might damage it). I've have the thought that if I moved it the computer would read that and correct it - thereby prompting it to start the relearning... Any comments? Do? DON'T?...

Much appreciate you replying to the thread!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, you are correct about throttle plate movement. With power off, the electric throttle can be opened manually for inspection, cleaning, etc.. When ignition is ON, electric throttles are powered up with throttle plate standing rigid; the ecm/pcm is sending commands to the electric servo motor to move the throttle plate based on four feedback sensors, two on throttle and two in the pedal. Once powered on the throttle plate is electronically controlled at all times so it's not recommended to physically move it. You can see throttle plate movement by having someone exercise the pedal while you observe throttle plate movement - observing a drive by wire system with the pedal/master telling the pcm to move throttle/slave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
mitche
mitche has a spectacular aura aboutmitche has a spectacular aura aboutmitche has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan

If the high idle only started after replacing the new part there is a good chance you have an air leak, how did the rubber seal under the throttle body look?
Any possibiltiy the bolts were not tightened down in a crisscross pattern doing it in steps? Too tight? too loose?
Recheck all hose connections and electrical connections.
But all those things should have caused a code to appear.
Another thing to check, pull the inlet off and see if the throttle plate closes fully with key off, if it's hanging up for some reason.

I don't speed much anymore but I don't slow down for turns much either to keep the fun factor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mitche's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mitche reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Moving the throttle plate power off will do nothing, the sensors in the tb follow the plate. DO NOT attempt to move the plate power on. When replacing the tb, the ecu has to learn the new sensors, which may have a slightly different relationship compared to the old ones. This is normal.

When you let a tb get dirty (on ions, they get very dirty)(who's a dirty tb, lol), the ecu compensates throttle position to reconcile maf based demands for a given throttle position, or the car wouldn't drive right with a dirty tb (they seriously get stupid dirty). When you clean the tb, nite the engine is getting more air than expected at a given throttle position, because the plate is held open farther to give it more air with a clogged tb that isn't clogged anymore. This is shay causes high idle when people clean an ion tb after too many miles (it should be cleaned every time you check your air filter), they get high idle and blame cleaning the tb instead of taking responsibility for their neglecting maintenance. Rant over.

Mitche, an air leak is possible, but the seals on these engines are very robust, and a re learn is required when installing a new tb, no matter what, or you get idle issues. Definitely something to check, though, if the relearn doesn't work.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote