SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
mrbean111
mrbean111 is on a distinguished road

Wrench 2004 Vue 5sp manual lost gears 1-2

Hello,

This morning when down shifting I felt a little thud in the shifter and then could no longer find 1st or 2nd gear. I could still limp along using 3, 4, 5. Weather was very cold (though I did warm up the car as usual).

The shifter lost some resistance (e.g. can't really tell where middle is anymore). I did some reading and maybe this is an issue with a shift linkage?

If you are familiar with the symptoms please lend me some troubleshooting advice and difficulty as DIY or general repair shop. For example, if you agree this may be a linkage, would it be the one just inside the dash or underneath the car?

As you could tell I'm not a mechanic, but also I am willing/able to dig in and do basic things.

This is a 4cyl engine, has about 70k miles (city driving). I've owned it since new and would like to keep it going for as long as I can.

Many thanks for your help!

-Aaron

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrbean111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrbean111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrbean111 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
ejscarfo
ejscarfo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2004 Vue 5sp manual lost gears 1-2

Sounds like you broke the adjuster link on the shifter, that would cause what you are experiencing. There are 2 adjusters, one white, which attaches to the shifter assembly that's bolted to the floor, and a black one that attaches to the stick itself. The black ones fail usually when there a problem with one of the cables binding. I've "blown" one up trying to force a shift when my Vue was cold. There is a rubber bushing at the end of this adjuster that is held in place by a plastic key with 2 flimsy tabs. The tabs break, the key works itself loose and the bushing falls out.

Remove the shifter boot on your Vue and do a quick visual inspection. Let us know what you see. I have a short YouTube video on how to replace that adjuster.

---------------------------
2004 Saturn Vue FWD 5 spd
2014 Honda Accord LX
2013 Honda Civic LX
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Pontiac Trans Am

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejscarfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejscarfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejscarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Shifter cable must be disconnected/broken ends. Was it difficult to shift prior to? The cables get worn internally and bind up.. THat causes more force to be applied to shift gears which wears on the connectors at the end.

Some folks have said replacement isn't so hard. I groan when thinking about working under the dash and under the car....

New cables and ends are a 200ish depending on where sourced.

Search shifter cable vue and you'll find lots of homework.

I handed mine over to a shop to get done.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
mrbean111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejscarfo View Post
Sounds like you broke the adjuster link on the shifter, that would cause what you are experiencing. There are 2 adjusters, one white, which attaches to the shifter assembly that's bolted to the floor, and a black one that attaches to the stick itself. The black ones fail usually when there a problem with one of the cables binding. I've "blown" one up trying to force a shift when my Vue was cold. There is a rubber bushing at the end of this adjuster that is held in place by a plastic key with 2 flimsy tabs. The tabs break, the key works itself loose and the bushing falls out.

Remove the shifter boot on your Vue and do a quick visual inspection. Let us know what you see. I have a short YouTube video on how to replace that adjuster.

Big thanks for the experiences here. On my lunch break I removed the shifter boot and could find nothing broken or loose.

Under the hood I looked around and found the linkages. After wiggling these manually I noticed that one of the cables had slipped out of place! (See picture attached...) I slid this back together and I can shift into 1-2 again.

Should there be some sort of outer clip holding these two cables in place?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5669.JPG (111.4 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mrbean111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
mrbean111

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Shifter cable must be disconnected/broken ends. Was it difficult to shift prior to? The cables get worn internally and bind up.. THat causes more force to be applied to shift gears which wears on the connectors at the end.

Some folks have said replacement isn't so hard. I groan when thinking about working under the dash and under the car....

New cables and ends are a 200ish depending on where sourced.

Search shifter cable vue and you'll find lots of homework.

I handed mine over to a shop to get done.

Thanks for the input! It was not difficult to shift prior... but you were on the right track. Cable was not broken but came out of place under the hood (see my other reply for picture)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
ejscarfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbean111 View Post
Big thanks for the experiences here. On my lunch break I removed the shifter boot and could find nothing broken or loose.

Under the hood I looked around and found the linkages. After wiggling these manually I noticed that one of the cables had slipped out of place! (See picture attached...) I slid this back together and I can shift into 1-2 again.

Should there be some sort of outer clip holding these two cables in place?
The older design required an orange colored clip, the newer design, which is what you have, does not. The ends are spring loaded and snap into the bracket. They don't easily come off so keep on eye on it. I had to remove the entire bracket to get the cables off when I changed my cables this fall.

Did it snap back into place easy? Are you able to remove it easy?

2014 Honda Accord LX
2013 Honda Civic LX
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Pontiac Trans Am

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ejscarfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
tkuwaha
tkuwaha will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Mine never came loose before, but I used zip ties to secure the cables to the bracket when I installed new shifter cables for peace of mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tkuwaha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tkuwaha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tkuwaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuwaha View Post
Mine never came loose before, but I used zip ties to secure the cables to the bracket when I installed new shifter cables for peace of mind.
Perfect idea to implement

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
mrbean111

The cable didn't really snap onto the bracket, it just slides into the U shape.

It stays there but I wonder if vibration and usage will cause it to slip out again in the future.

Thinking back around 6 or 7 years ago I had the dealer replace the cable because all of a sudden it became very difficult to shift. I wonder if it was replaced by the newer style at that point. Then I had it back to the dealer in the same week because after the repair it was popping out of 1st gear. That was solved on the second visit at no further cost. But I wonder if replacement eliminated the clip but really could still use some help staying in place.

I may try some zip ties but don't feel great about it.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Last edited by mrbean111; 01-06-2016 at 04:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
It stays there but I wonder if vibration and usage will cause it to slip out again in the future.
I may try some zip ties but don't feel great about it.
It slipped out once- it won't fix itself.

Feel great about the zips- you avoid a few hours of inconvenience at the dealer. INthe meantime ,you can research finding the missing clips( if so)

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
ejscarfo

Quote:
The cable didn't really snap onto the bracket, it just slides into the U shape.

Thinking back around 6 or 7 years ago I had the dealer replace the cable because all of a sudden it became very difficult to shift. I wonder if it was replaced by the newer style at that point. Then I had it back to the dealer in the same week because after the repair it was popping out of 1st gear. That was solved on the second visit at no further cost. But I wonder if replacement eliminated the clip but really could still use some help staying in place.

It should slide into the bracket and you should feel it "snap" or settle into place. If you can remove it from the bracket by just pulling it up, something's wrong. The way to remove it is to push back on the housing that locks it into the bracket to relieve the tension, then it will pop out.

To answer your question about the clips, the original design called for clips to hold the cables. From what I understand, the clips were not reusable either, a one shot deal. From the picture you posted, you have the revised design, no retaining clips are needed. The cables are held in place by the spring tensioners.

2014 Honda Accord LX
2013 Honda Civic LX
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Pontiac Trans Am

REWARD EXCELLENCE!