SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
Razzles
Razzles is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Happy Re: Twim charged l200

The '04 Ion 2.0L engine was the first for factory turbocharging. Specs state 9.5 compression ratio.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that, I thought the 04 2.0 was supercharged (LSJ) and we didn't get 2.0 turbo until 07(?)/08 in the LNF with the sky/solstice and maybe cobalt..? Or hhr lol.

Either way, I chose a L61 (our 2.2L). I confirmed it does have 10:1, as it does not have our stock 9.5:1 dished pistons. These ones are flat top.

I purchased ARP head studs and a cometic gasket with a thickness of .051" over the stock .040".
With ARP head stud 231-4701 the kit only includes the 10 main 7/16 headstuds for the block. There are 14 bolts total to hold the head down. The last 4 smaller diameter "front" bolts/ studs do not come with the ARP kit. As a workaround I am purchasing extra stock front head bolts, as they are recommended to replace (tty). I assume the front ones are more to maintain the seal than actual clamping force as they aren't over the combustion chamber or water jacket area.

So I'm back on the road next week for the second time this year. Tuning software is on order now, so it should be here in a few weeks. Hoping to get up to 200hp before boosting and not break my transmission or anything else for right now. I'll stop there until I get either a spare engine, or rods/pistons.
This was a junkyard engine, I've done timing and gaskets so far. It's been running great otherwise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzles is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #22
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Twim charged l200

The 4T-40E is only good up to about 190 ft lbs before you start blowing parts out the side. Recommend you do some upgrades there too.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #23
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There's a aftermarket shift kit I'm looking at. Supposedly I'm able to modify the shift pressure when I get my tuning, that may help. So far it hasn't shown any signs of slipping or struggling, aside from traction control kicking in a lot. Right now a new used transmission is $150 with a one year warranty... so... I'm kind of taking my chances on this one. I'm right at 200lb-ft of torque, I think as long as I don't push it too hard for awhile I'll be alright a bit longer.
I just put the new head gasket on. Forgot to put sealant on the head studs so I need to do that. I should be running tomorrow as long as it doesn't rain. I have to open the side cover up for timing, and that's the only thing I can't do in the rain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razzles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #24
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So the car has been running for a while now.
I made one mistake with the new gasket. The old one was actually .027" thick, I replaced it with .050" thick... raising my head a mil or two. It made my timing so tight on install t scared me, once I cranked it over a few times though the tensioner adjusted.
Because of the gasket thickness quench distance has been effected negatively. Ideal is .040" or so. I already surpassed that with the .050" gasket, not mentioning how deep the pistons are in the hole. Without measurements, I would estimate .010" in the hole seeing as the previous gasket for the 10:1 was .027" thick, and 9.5:1 was .040" thick. If that is the case, I would assume the 9.5:1 sits actually nearly level with the block deck. From what I can remember by looking at both engines, this is correct or close (ay id only be off by .0xx" lmao)

This is only based off the theory that GM also engineered this engine for that ideal .040" quench.

so, essentially I am getting a "slow burn" and I got misfires for the first short while.
I had to adjust the screw on my throttle body (I adjusted it like a carb) in order to put my PCM into the range that it can 'relearn my idle'. It runs great now, aside from a lobey sounding idle, but at least no misfires. 850ish rpm idle, it does fluctuate by about 40rpm when I get small misses.
My idle load is somewhere like 48%. In gear with 2% throttle I'm at 36% lol. So idle still isn't quite right, but I just ordered Hptuners so I can get injectors, wideband o2, EGT gauge and then put the blower on. As soon as I am boosted this problem should correct itself.
Right now the motor pulls really hard at 4K+. I have almost all my torque by 2.5-3k. Something is limiting my HP, I beleive it's the injectors- or I need an actually good tune. It wants to go, but there is a slight hesistation or it's not giving it all it's got.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #25
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

hey just now caught wind of this^
Are you running the L200 PCM ?
Hp tuners only covers so much support for Editable tables on the p11 pcm... it is an absolutely terrific scanning software however
You should be able to override the o2 sensor & ECT data that would otherwise cause it to lean out if you are adding upgrades. I'm not sure about PE and VE tables as I did not get that far and sold most turbo related, including wideband 🙁. I could probably upload some images if u like( hp tuners engine calibration screenshots)
I took a reading a while back with stock injectors and stock upstream o2 alongside headers, comp Cams, and 2.4 intake with slightly larger tb... and it definitely needed to be tuned warmed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hacadacalopolis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hacadacalopolis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Hey speaking of off topic,
Razzles you wouldn't by any chance have stock camshafts for Saturn l200 that I could purchase??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hacadacalopolis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hacadacalopolis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #27
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Depends, do you want power steering?
I have the cam from the Ion when I pulled the engine. It's one of the electric/magnetic power steering ones though, ie it doesn't have our hex fitting to drive our power steering pump. It's got around 120k and I don't remember what it looks like. Probably just needs to be cleaned up a little. I'd sell it cheap, but like I said no hex fitting for PS.
Yes I am using the L200 PCM. Any challenges I might face? I get it Friday so any heads up will save me a little confusion down the road. I got Hp tuners because of the mass array of vehicles I can service with it. I'm excited.
My car isn't leaning out too bad yet I don't think. It runs good timing up top. But that idle is lean, and I do see it pull timing. I will order a EGT, and wideband this week. Have bungs ready to install too.
So, when I get HP tuners I will do a stock tune and see where it gets me. Will do some trans shift point stuff too, if I can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #28
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So alright, still going on with the project.
I have nearly everything installed except the blower, injectors, and my wideband. Ive added a 06 L61 manifold, it has longer runners. As well as a 58mm throttle body. A much cleaner style, doesnt have all the junk on the backside of it- plugs into the manifold instead.
I have been playing with my tuning software quite a bit. Mainly shiftpoints and a little bit of timing. Just got a full exhaust from a shop, running a catcon now. A clean 2.5 all the way through with a mangaflow muffler. Only $750 with two weld in bungs for the wideband and an exhaust temperature gauge. My wideband just came today, so I will be able to touch VE tables and do some real tuning. So far so good, most of my questions have been answered and I do not see anything preventing success.

In the coming weeks Im going to get familiar with my wideband, order the injectors and swap a 2.4 manifold on, then tune that. If there are no problems, the blower will go on just in time for Christmas. Maybe a cam too.

I believe I am at the 170hp mark or around there. The car most definitely moves quick. I believe I have around 200lb-ft of torque. We ran a dyno simulator through the OB2 using 1/4 mile times. So, give or take a little. I have no problem breaking the wide tires and the 0-60 is down from 12.9 (recorded stock @160k miles) vs 9.1 ( @196k miles).

The best upgrades I have done so far have been my exhaust, intake and tires.
The throttle body and manifold gave my car incredible throttle response, however I still need to pull some fuel because it bogs down by running rich.
The tires are 17x7.7 from the 06 ion I believe. When I first drove the car too hard through corners I had understeer issues like no other. There was no going hard through corners. My new tires/ rims hold on the the curves for dear life. I would however recommend a smaller tire for fuel economy (these ones lose me about 3-4mph), maybe 16s from a Saab which has a wide selection of cool rims. The stock exhaust manifold and entire system stink. 2.5 has not cost me ANY low end at all. My torque curve peaks lower and stays high. I am running a long tube header, I believe equal length. This was the most derestricting upgrade. The stock cat and exhaust are simply too small.

And I still get 24mpg city, while running noticeably rich, with big tires.
Im going to continue devoting a lot of time and effort into this project, I started this thread when I actually got serious about it. For a record. Its been a thought of mine for a little longer than this.
I will add pics of the car and engine as well as some more stats this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!