SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Razzles
Razzles is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Twim charged l200

Hello all!
I am looking to twin charge (supercharge AND turbo) my L200. I hydro locked the engine, so I'm doing a full rebuild.
Currently working on the cylinder head. Block is coming out soon. Doing a full rebuild with the intent of breaking it in w/ turbo.
Looking at hptuners for tuning, wiseco pistons and eagle rods. Valves train I might go stock with (getting brand new). Wideband O2. EGT. Boost gauge. Bigger injectors, cold air intake. Already have 2.5" full straight piped exhaust w/ long runner header (sounds like a V8 truck). I believe I was hitting around 150hp at least. the goal is 300hp. Shooting for a TVS supercharger, stock pulley ~13psi. Then no more than 7psi from the turbo. May boost it up later if I want more power. Dropping my revv limiter to 5.5k. She flowed really well before I tore her apart. All my internals are pretty clean looking, considering she has 180k.
Any recommendations? This will be a fully built motor. I'd like to know what issues I could expect to run into.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzles is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Twim charged l200

An empty wallet would be a primary issue with me. What's your budget for parts? for labor? tuner time?

CAn the block and head take what you want to throw at it? Prevailing sentiment says no without out much$$$ and even then

ANy special tricks you going to throw at it to keep all that boost sealed up?

ANy time this question or similar comes up the suggestion is to go hit up sixthsphere where all the tuners are at.

Over here, were mainly dedicated to keeping our DD's running- not blowing them up.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've done my homework as far as the parts go. Man these ecotec can take quite a beating. I don't plan on revving the $!&@ out of it, so that should save me a little 'stress'. she also won't be hitting full boost and power until the new engine is broke in, that's when the addition of the supercharger will come along (March/May???)
That's when I expect to run into issue with keeping the boost in, although I've heard our manifolds are good until 400hp.
Let's pretend my budget doesn't matter. It's looking about 3k for everything But the supercharger that'll be another grand.
I've got unlimited welding access from my uncle who's an engineer. Labor will be done myself. I've had a few too many hours of reading, I am also very familiar with my Eco. Tuning I have no experience with, but hptuners is very friendly and there are countless sources for that. I will be playing a safe tune at first with decent timing and high octane. Time is also not an issue, I am not rushing it.
Trying to stir up any secrets someone might have about supercharger or turbo systems.
I'll post my parts list later.
Sixthsphere? Thank you.
Hehe, I wasn't satisfied with my car just running. The more oomph I've given here the more I want. She was roasting the 17" wide tires I had on her. And still handling like a dream. Limited slip differential is in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razzles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzles View Post
Trying to stir up any secrets someone might have about supercharger or turbo systems.
Start with one or the other and see if you actually need both for the car to feel fast.. You're compounding your opportunity for issues with a platform that lacks aftermarket support (LOL Series).. so you're going to pay through the nose regardless if you have no idea about tuning especially.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

Thread on a user that installed a turbo: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196107

Power steps discussion: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131956

I don't know that there is much insight on tuning L's. Plenty of people have done it with other Ecotec equipped vehicles, but the Saturn L line hasn't had much of that done to it. Not to say it can't be done, money and time can result in anything!

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

I actually tried to post a reply in regards to razzles... Unfortunately the long message got timed out and server may have crashed.

There is a thread in Jbody.org with someone actually doing this to a stock motor. More about controversy and silly comments than modification gains.

To leave this short, I will reply again about what little experience I have on the ecotec, but the answer will always be "is it worth it?" Ultimately for you to decide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hacadacalopolis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hacadacalopolis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

I post this merely for information for the poster. Personally I would not be throwing the sort of cash the poster may be looking at into a 15 year extinct vehicle. But it's a personal preference.

The Saturn L series was never a pulse quickening vehicle, it was always a family car. The underpinnings are Opel Vectra/Vauxhall Vectra which were sold again as a family vehicles and coming from the UK I can tell you the Vauxhall Vectra was sold by the truckload as the basic vehicle for Sales Reps.

If you read Wikipedia on the above vehicles and the L series it discloses what the engine(s) were fitted. It is an L61 engine in the L series. If you then Wiki the L61 engine, you will then find where it resides in other GM vehicles globally. Whilst there will be specific brand differences, they are likely to be subtle. Therefore, it seems logical to me that there may a) a greater likelihood of finding which other brands modified that engine and b) you may find those modification parts and information are more readily available for other brands than the stock L series. It also states you can buy a supercharger bolt on kit for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine#L61

This is all I'm going to post on this subject.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 AM   #8
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Red Face Re: Twim charged l200

I am going to start with just a turbo. Ideally I'll be running low boost. I like the idea of having a supercharger to help spool the turbo. It's very unique: I do understand the problems associated with it too. Then again, we are not talking about more than 18psi compounded. Hopefully soon I can tell you how much CFM that might translate to. I'll have a good 5,000 miles of just turbo to decide if I really want that supercharger to go with it.
LOL Series.. Haha, I like it.

I contacted Hptuners, my vehicle is compatible. So I do not expect issues on that front. What I lack in experience, I have at least 2-3 other guys to back me. Collective knowledge. This will be done one step at a time, and I am very patient.

Hacadolpis, thank you. I was hoping to hear from you. I believe that was a 2.4L that was twin charged if we read the same forum. Impressive results, and low IAT's to go with it. My motor is going to be fully built too. That guy was going easy on his, I won't be going too much harder. One thing to consider, the 2.4L have an 11:1 compression ratio. He didn't seem to have any issues.
One benefit of the L-Series with the L61 is the 9.5:1 compression (stock). After the L-Series they bumped it to 10:1. I am going to keep my 9.5:1, but with forged rods and pistons. Contacted the manufacturer, they are good until 800hp.
I got this car from my cousin for $900 almost two years ago. I didn't want her. I was giving up my Dodge Spirit 2.5L turbo for this heavy turd. But, my mind has really changed. I've grown to love her. With every slight modification I've done to her she's shown incredible improvement. I have heard the ecotec series enjoy boost, so boosting away I am. I'll also be going with a cometic head gasket, I believe they're used on the LSJ's. They are thicker than stock, so I can count on that being in my favor (compression ratio wise). ARP head studs will be in the mix as well. This is something I am going to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:27 AM   #9
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Twin charged l200

I've been searching the forums through many various websites.
Yes, the L-Series is German descended. Designed in Germany off the Vectra, which I know little about.
i guess I'm a bit of an ecotec nerd. I could probably quote everything on that wiki page, I appreciate it though. I considered other vehicles with the 2.2, ultimately the L was still my best option. It will take a bit of custom fabrication. But, it's only minor adaptations. Concepts are still the same, if not very similar. I've looked into 'if it can be done' and I haven't ran into any bumps yet, but, I did post asking for opinions for a reason. I'll be careful about my cash, but I am very young w/ no family and low expenses. Any loss I should be able to make up. Very motivated to do this. If it fails, I'll be equally motivated to recover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #10
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

And... I do have a 95 LT1 Camaro. I know what fast feels like. There's just something different about the Saturn. I love the feel of driving it. They're two completely different animals. I've done plenty of racing in her. My turbo Spirit was no slouch either. If you google that car you're gonna lol so hard, but mine was a quick one. I've had some fun, but the most fun has always been in the Saturn.
I'll get my parts list posted hopefully tomorrow night

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

Well another strong argument for taking this task on with the L, is there is plenty of room for you to mod that Ecotec! Best of luck and let us know how you get on!

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That was another good reason!
Battery will be going in the trunk. Already got rid of the air box. I've got quite the list. That frees up a lot of piping room. She's a big car with a little engine.
What got me interested in a turbo in the first place was popping the hood and looking behind the engine. There's like a foot of just empty space!!!
I've been thinking about this for a long time. I'll keep you guys posted as I go.

Thanks all!
-Razzles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

@Razzles, Yes that is the one i was referring to. It is a good reference start for similarity in that build, If you choose so...

Because i never got into tuning - A LSJ cobalt or (more $$) LNF cobalt would be my next goto if i ever mess with an ecotec again. 1. Simplicity of aftermarket new and used parts. and 2, The very large cobalt ss community.
The L200 is a long haul just to give it forced induction.

I have test ran the saturn i have several times, but i had my progression almost at a complete stop because i live just about 600 miles away. In doing so the car went into storage without electricity, power tools, U know... everything that blows for a car guy.
Presently, I took everything off and sold most of it. Except the down pipe and a lot of the AL piping i welded. I'm trying to get rid of a car i own so i can use the saturn l200 for a daily driver. Eventually ill have a house with garage/shop access, but right now I am in area where i must keep oil off the ground and something reliable.

A little quick rundown of preparations if still consider this a go;

- Manifolds: Intake- You can use the 2.4 HO LE5 manifold with the CBM adapter and jbody TB. Just remember those plastic seams on our manifolds can rupture with too much pressure. A sheet metal intake plenum is a better choice as just about anything can be customized on it.
Exhaust- Plenty of ways to go about this. Just be careful of your dimensions with firewall and heater core( if you decide to use it). almost 100% you will need a custom DP. Good idea to have a internally waste gated turbo.

Other things that need attention that you probably already know;
Fuel delivery> fuel pump that can provide the performance under WOT, along with a good fuel pressure regulator.
IMO- i wouldn't mess with the cylinder head valves or springs until a successful tune. Unless you have the block and head and feel the urge to spend $$. Which in that case i could sell you a partially ported L61
Colder plugs and lower compression is a safe bet when adding more pressure in the chamber, but even more is getting to that perfect A/F ratio with good compression under boost.
You also might want to look into getting a fan speed control module to switch on to desired temp. and a bigger fan that you can fit.
Another very good thing to look at- VERY IMPORTANT- Read the Ecotec GM build book. <The best thing you can do right now if you haven't already done so.
It will show you the best thing you can do with making a mechanical set timing chain tensioner.
I ended up losing my old dimensions for a radiator i tried getting built . So I still have the old one with trans cooler added on top of that. As for Intercooler i recommend you angle it at 45*ish to collect most of the incoming ram air through the L's ugly POS bumper cover.

One last thing, Our 4t40 will not be able to handle too much torque and can burn up.

Give the saturn l200 some thought before getting fully involved. I really wish i could be working on mine so i have more insight to give. especially with the hp tuners i have just sitting around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hacadacalopolis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Okay, here is my parts list:
LSJ Exhaust Valve: 12791961
LSJ Intake Valve: 12786696
LSJ/L61 Spring: 90537032
Adjustable cam gears: 88958613
COMP cams: haven't decided based off application. Going to do more research. Any recommendations?

I will be getting a new valve train for this build. LSJ has sodium filled valves. This will help with any increased heat. Same valve diameter as L61 stock. Springs are exactly the same. Considered upgraded springs, but, as I won't be revving over 6,000 I do not see this as an issue.

Eagle rods: CRS5765C3D
Wiseco pistons: K583M86 (8.9:1), K582M86 (10:1)
I guess they don't make 9.5:1 like I thought.
Cometic head gasket: 245-C5768-040 (for .040" thickness)
Now.. Here's what's cool.. I *could* go all the way up to .080 thickness on that cometic head gasket.. They offer; .030, .040, .045, .051, .060, and .080
Interesting. Ideally... I bump compression up to 10:1 WITH a .060 head gasket. That drops it back down to roughly 9.6:1 CR. That'd be pretty sweet, but I am unsure if it's doable.

ARP headstuds: 231-4701

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #15
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

@hacadacalopolis
The LNF's are very cool. I still don't like how low the displacement is. Even our 2.2L is a little low for my liking. Maybe if it was turbo'd like those LNF's I'd like it better.
I did not think of the fan control, I'll be sure to look in to that.
I do not like what Saturn did with the facelift in the '03 model (reference ugly bumper cover) but, I have an '02 and she's pretty cute. Maybe I'll upload some pics this weekend.

Here's what I've got already:
Long runner header (not sure what brand or part #)
It's a nice one. Got that on a 2.5" straight pipe w/ a 18" vibrant resonator.
I am keeping my header. Turbo will be remote mount turbo (just puts it down the line a little). That will help protect the turbo from overheating. It will go where the catalytic converter WAS. I have room for it, already checked.

Intake manifold wise I was considering the SAAB 2.0T, as I heard the 2.4L intake manifold is better for high rpm applications. I am still undecided though. I will be making more power with boost as opposed to high rpm's.

What I have turbo-wise is a Garret GT17 laying around (which will be used ONLY for motor break in). T25. I was thinking Dodge Neon SRT-4 intercooler no matter what turbo I run.
If I don't use the turbo I have laying around, I am going to just sell it.

I have been running colder plugs. Coldest I could get, had to special order at $10/ plug. Don't have that part # laying around any more. I will look at a slightly colder thermostat to help keep her running cool.
How did that Venturi fuel pump work out? Injectors I've got enough options for.
There are shift kits available for the 4T40E. I'll be getting into that after the break in, right before I add the supercharger.
I already have the head off. Block is actually coming out this weekend(?) if all goes as planned. I say that knowing that all does usually not go as planned...
As for the head.. I am actually going to be mildly porting it myself! I'll be starting by porting mine and my buddy's throttle body.
Did you port your own head, or do you know which areas are good spots to hit?

Oh, I was also running a very light water injection on her. 100% water. I forgot how much.. But stock, it did help keeping VERY low IAT's and gave her this nice growl. Believed she revved up quicker- but maybe that was my imagination. There definitely was some more power. I might look into meth injection for her. However, I did not notice any damage from water injection.. So I might stick with that. She had a 3" flexible tubing going into throttle body with a cone filter on the other end. It was a nice set up over stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

I wish u well on the remote turbo mount.
There's nothing I can really tell you yet about my progress because of no dyno or street runs.
I mean I have good compression and was running a tad to rich at first with turbo installed.
I actually lowered my compression like you were thinking with HG thickness. I am unsure like u if that is a good move or not. Could be both...?
I had an oil leak right at the pan. Which I finally fixed. My suggestion always use that loctite 9500, no exceptions.
I have a head that was port matched but with a CNC machine. I have never done porting on my own. I hear you need quite the collection of die grinder accs. Etc..
Blending the bowls and runners is important. Knife edging the entrance helps too.

Anyways best of luck to you. Post up, I'll tune in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2015, 04:12 AM   #17
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ahh I was always wondering what happened exactly to your project! Hah, sometime i actually added to my list earlier this week was a back up oil pan!
I think the remote turbo should work well. It'll keep the under hood temps slightly lower (hopefully?). And, there's no way I'm swapping out my current header anyway. It's awesome. I tried finding another one online just for the part number.. But I couldn't. It was something I grabbed from an EBay auction and there was only 1. It was for an LNF though! Just a long runner design. 2.5" outlet.
Tomorrow I'll be porting the old throttle body and my friends to get some practice in, then I'll probably finish cleaning the ports up and port those a little bit! The exhaust DEFINITELY needs it! Luckily the gasket was still pretty fresh so it left nice marks where the exhaust was hitting the edges of it!
So.. You were running rich without tuning WITH a turbo? It seems the other two partial forums on turbo L's I found say that they were running rich up to around 10psi...
What head gasket thickness did you use?
Better to blow a head gasket than anything else.. I can remove my head in about 1 hour!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2016, 01:41 AM   #18
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hey all, this project is not dead- just suspended. Engine is out. Turns out I actually snapped a rod from hydrolocking.
Instead of replacing my valve train I am going to be getting a used cylinder head and save my current one for a rainy day.
I have a Camaro I'm working on right now, once that's out of the way I am going to get the block bored .020" over, then get my forged rods and pistons. That's where I'm at for now, not much to report. Looks like I'm another two months out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #19
Razzles

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not dead or giving up. New engine is in. Have been playing around with it since July. I chose an 03 Ion engine. I had to swap the water pump as it's piping wasn't matched up to mine, and then the intake cam as it does not have our power steering fitting (they used electronic power steering in the ions). Otherwise the swap was very simple and easy.
My compression ratio is now 10:1, same mods minus water injection- now seeking a setup for alcohol and water. I seem to be restricted on my intake side at the throttle body. I have a spare I am in the process of porting.

On a dyno, my car makes 200lb-ft and 160hp to the wheels. Does 0-60 in 9.2 seconds- very close to stock- but I have 185k (around 120 on engine). It sounds real pissed off and acts like it too. I do not think the transmission is enjoying the added power. I am getting software that will allow me to tune the engine and transmission. It is called HPtuners, I will have more on that when I get it.

Just blew a head gasket last week, very minor set back. Might explain why I have high torque and low hp. Ordering a new cometic head gasket that is slightly thicker than stock (.050") compared to .030". Once I have tuning software and injectors, I am going to add the turbo. It's a garret GT17 from a 2000 Saab 9-3 which utilizes the same exhaust manifold as our car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Two posts about hacadacalopolis' attempts at turbocharging; the final post, 1)http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222821 and original turbo build project, 2)http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=196107&page=6. See last page, last remark from pierrot.

The '04 Ion 2.0L engine was the first for factory turbocharging. Specs state 9.5 compression ratio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote