SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Difficilus
Difficilus is on a distinguished road

Default Timing marks off now. Timing belt change.

I might have messed up on this when I went to locate top dead centrer. I don't think anything got moved when I went to put the new belt on. Didn't mark them blue until after I tried to give it a couple of turns to see if the marks still lined upand kept running into resistance that felt like valves hitting the piston. Stopped and checked the timing marks found the rear cam out by nearly 45 degrees. (Pics) I have others around the garage here and it is remotely possible something got moved. Would not think so however,
I may have been paying more attention to the number in the front cam cover opening and the crankshaft cover and crankshaft pulley timing marks when I first started.
Question is even if nothing was moved and I was 180 degrees off it should still have been okay shouldn't it ?

How do I get cams and crank positions where they are supposed to be now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_crankshaft_gear.jpg (97.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2_front_bank_camgear.jpg (112.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 3_rear_bank _camgear.jpg (136.6 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Difficilus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Difficilus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Difficilus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
CA-Legal-Vette
CA-Legal-Vette is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Timing marks off now. Timing belt change.

Which motor is this? To answer one of your questions, having the cam sprocket off by 180 degrees would be OK as long as all cam sprockets are aligned equally. Remember that the cam shaft(s) rotate once for every two rotations of the crankshaft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CA-Legal-Vette's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CA-Legal-Vette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CA-Legal-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Difficilus

This is a 2004 3.5l Saturn Vue Awd.

I understand the two to one ratio. Thanks. How do I get the valve timing and cam gear marks lined up again without borking up the valves? I know this is likely remedial.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Difficilus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
Difficilus

Fussed around with the thing a bit and got the marks all set as needed. Just turned the crank a bit and moved the cam gear back to the mark and reset the crank to the mark. Pump, pulleys, tensioner, belts, and seals all replaced and good to go. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The rear cam when it is lined lined up will rotate out of position if you look at it the wrong way. All you have to do is to turn it back so that it is lined up again.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote