SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
charger99
charger99 is on a distinguished road

Default Possible 3-5-R Wave Plate Transmission Issue

Hello Forum readers,

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD with the 3.6L engine and just over 94k miles. The car has just started getting real jerky in reverse (and sometimes won't move at all) and appears to have the symptoms of the 3-5-R Wave Plate failure. It also has jerked going forward, but not in 1st gear. I will definitely have to bring it to a Dealer for service as it can't be driven the way it is.

I called a Chevy dealer in my area and asked them if the bulletin referenced by others on the forum would apply to my Saturn (Bulletin #14404A), and after providing them with the VIN number, i was told that there was no record of a recall or open service announcement associated with the vehicle.

As my Vue clearly meets the requirements of the bulletin, what other criteria would apply? What recourse do i have to plead my case? Do I just have to get the repair done (ouch!) and then put my hopes on a reimbursement?

Thanks for any feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charger99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charger99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Possible 3-5-R Wave Plate Transmission Issue

Call General Motors customer service number and complain about your dealer or find another GM dealer and try again.
Did you receive a letter from GM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
charger99

I did not receive a letter from GM. I also sent an email to the socialmedia@gm.com email address with the same info and got a similar answer. I will try another Chevy dealer on Monday. If that doesn't work I will have to start working my way up the chain on the customer service line.

Thanks for your reply and for any other advice you may have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help charger99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line

send a private message to satlite440 on this forum and request his guidance. He is a master trans technician who graciously contributes his considerable knowledge here. A lot has been written about this issue on this forum...but he can best direct your focus to pursue the best path for fastest response.

No reason why you have been stymied...only thing I can think of is multiple vehicle ownership and don't recall if this is even a consideration in granting warranty work...I don't believe so...as long as you are below the mileage bogie which you are and we are all under the 10 year mark until 2018-19

Let us know what you find out and good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
charger99

UPDATE:

I have the Vue at the Dealership. I was barely able to back it out of my garage to get it in the street. I had to shift from Park to Reverse, Drive to Park, Neutral to Reverse, any number of times just to get it to do anything. It would move a couple of feet and lock up. When i put it into Neutral, it would lock the transmission so i couldn't push the car out of the garage either.

Once i got it into the street, i drove the mile or so from my house to the dealership in first gear (using the gear selection option). Now i am waiting for news on the diagnosis from the dealership. I made them aware of the bulletin but there won't be any news until they can confirm what is broken.

Others here in the forum appear to have received letters from GM regarding the issue with the transmissions and i have not (i bought the car off a local used car lot) and a lookup of the VIN by the Dealer was inconclusive.

I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
NiagaraWarrior
NiagaraWarrior is on a distinguished road

My '08 Saturn VUE had recently suffered from this problem with relatively low mileage. (transmission failed at 82,000km). I had ZERO issues up until when I was driving up a steep hill and all of a sudden the engine over revved, RPM shot up really high and i nearly lost control into the shoulder. At my request the transmission shop did a flush and found metal bits, but no OBD readings or engine warnings. The tech suggested that the 3-5-R plate was failing and it would be a matter of time (he also discovered the hidden Warranty offered by GM). He told me the only way GM would honor it is if the 3-5-R was utterly destroyed and recommended i drive it roughly, until it failed, It was suggested that it could take months to fail. My transmission failed 1 day later and i didnt even try to stress it out. Without warning i just lost engine power to the transmission and had to push it off the busy road, ( ive read that sometimes you can continue to drive using the manual mode, but this didnt work for me. Fortunately i could get it into neutral).

I had my VUE towed to "Falls Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC" where they honored the hidden Warranty and replaced my 3-5-R wave plate at no cost. I am quite pleased with their service and speed, my VUE has never felt better

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NiagaraWarrior's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NiagaraWarrior reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NiagaraWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote