SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default mods i have done recently

I have finished my interior an on the center its flat black with gloss red an i think it looks great all together but im not painting anymore interior pieces cuz then it will be to much, this is just right!

I did my taillights with that idea i had finally, its not as dark as i wanted it to be but looks good an if i did completely black out where its smoked it still would be legal cuz theres enough light that shines threw

I also redid my trunk, the material board stuff was all ate up from water leaking in there so i redid it with plywood( wanted to do it with Diamond plate/tread plate but ended up with plywood) an kept the original carpet an it took a few hours but got it done! What do you think?

Today i finished sanding the scratches out my rims that the original owner did an i plan on painting then mainly black with alil red in it an if it turns out not that good then ill just buy some rims...i also painted my back drums bkack cuz they are completely rusted an plan on doing the caliper an disk in front so it wont rust an stay good for awhile!

I really wanna lower it but where i live it would be hell! Lol so im not sure yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-11-11 16.06.08.jpg (143.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-11 16.10.25.jpg (139.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-11 16.07.34.jpg (111.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-11 16.08.37.jpg (101.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-11 16.09.05.jpg (112.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-11 16.11.07.jpg (110.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-11 16.11.53.jpg (87.9 KB, 71 views)

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oxyhydro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oxyhydro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oxyhydro is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2015, 02:27 AM   #2
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: mods i have done recently

You need mud flaps on that beast!!!

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtherecordman View Post
You need mud flaps on that beast!!!
Lol why you say i need mud flaps cuz of the mud on the bottom?

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help oxyhydro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Yes, and it will preserve and protect from rock chips on the bottom of your rocker panels. You can pickup some cheap molded ones at autozone or pep boys.

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Yes, and it will preserve and protect from rock chips on the bottom of your rocker panels. You can pickup some cheap molded ones at autozone or pep boys.
Im not putting no mud flaps on this lol, i havent washed my car for a couple weeks an its been real rainy lately

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I wish this site would let me look at the pics

from what I can see, I expecially like what you did with the trunk floor.
Did you replace the floor with wood, and made flip up doors?
I need to redo mine bec the subwoofer box I got, plugs whatever heavy stuff stored back there (currently a 1.5t rapid jack, and an ATC200 3 wheeler engine) really takes a toll on the cardboard

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

TLFE: now I can see the pics. Looks awesome.
I like the red accent colors, they stand out, but not making an overstatement lol

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
TLFE: now I can see the pics. Looks awesome.
I like the red accent colors, they stand out, but not making an overstatement lol
Thanks, yea its not to much, the only red ill add will be maybe alil on the rims but that benzel middle piece thing was a ***** to do it that way i pretty much had to redo it 3 times lol but the flat black an glossy red looks good so it was worth it!

The trunk has 2 sets of hinges, 1 set pretty much right behind the back seats an the second in the middle so i can pretty much fold it up (i started with 1 set then didnt want to have to make something to hold it up like a hood), the side pieces where pretty hard to cut but i got it done, then i took all the insulation an material board off the carpet an put the carpet in an cut out what i needed an just have it stapled on right now but plan on gluing it when its done. Its alot better then how it was before, it would pretty much sag on top of the battery an seemed to me it could gave been a hazard specially if the carpets wet like it use to get!!!

I been wanting to tint my windows, it would look alot better but never have done it before an i know you can mess it up easily

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyhydro View Post
I did my taillights with that idea i had finally, its not as dark as i wanted it to be but looks good an if i did completely black out where its smoked it still would be legal cuz theres enough light that shines threw
So it almost looks like a 6-volt Bug or a car with a bad alternator? GOod job

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
So it almost looks like a 6-volt Bug or a car with a bad alternator? GOod job
How does it look like a 6v bug or a car with a bad alternator? If your saying that just cuz of me smoking the tails that still dont make since, even if it was completely blacked out, But even if i blacked out what i smoked completely it would still be pretty bright.

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #11
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyhydro View Post
How does it look like a 6v bug or a car with a bad alternator? If your saying that just cuz of me smoking the tails that still dont make since, even if it was completely blacked out, But even if i blacked out what i smoked completely it would still be pretty bright.
First mod i got on my care is Mud Flaps, Air Intake and & Tinted Windows. Blacking out tail lights is decreasing your visibility at night, unless you wish to get rear ended, that was not a great idea, other then the looks. But that is my opinion. Just saying.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #12
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
First mod i got on my care is Mud Flaps, Air Intake and & Tinted Windows. Blacking out tail lights is decreasing your visibility at night, unless you wish to get rear ended, that was not a great idea, other then the looks. But that is my opinion. Just saying.....
Thatd why i didnt do the whole lenses, all 3 bulbs aren't smoked in front of them, an i actually can barely even tell an plus it has a third brake light. I was actually planing to put leds strips in the parts i didnt smoke

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:30 AM   #13
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

shading lights can look good and still be somewhat functional if done right.
however, it is illegal, and can get a ticket for having them shaded too.
depending on whos enforcing (city, parish/county, or state), and how well it is enforced, you can stilll be cited regardless if you left a small section unshaded.
some will pull you over for the shade, some will only cite you when they pull you over for something else more serious (ie. speeding or running a red light/stop sign).

when making modification to things that affect your visibility to others, you have to consider how visible it to other drivers, expecially during the day, and how illegal it is.

i dont mean to rant about this, but things like this always needs extra consideration, and a little homework before doing it.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I actually dont think its illegal the way i have it, yea i could still get pulled over for it but most likely not get in trouble. You actually cant even tell on the tails at night at all an the sidemarkers still do what there suppose to, alot of cars side markers are like the size of quarters an that still is better then those an i think that if i completely blacked what i smoked on the tails its still pretty bright an actually seem fine, look at how your tail lights light up at night witch is one of the reasons i did it that way (sedans tails i think light up different) but im not going to do it any darker unless i put leds strips or something in the parts i didnt paint but probably not.

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #15
Nick15-21
Nick15-21 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

That Trunk Material Board is living hell, mine is split and I LOVE what you did with the plywood, if you had any plans or anything i'd love to get my hands on them so i can fix my trunk's material board. right now my spare tire got ripped apart because i had some cut metal in the trunk and since the board is split it rubbed against the tire ripping it apart.

Criminal Justice Major
Kid With No Car Knowledge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nick15-21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nick15-21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nick15-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #16
mematt69
mematt69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick15-21 View Post
That Trunk Material Board is living hell, mine is split and I LOVE what you did with the plywood, if you had any plans or anything i'd love to get my hands on them so i can fix my trunk's material board.
I did mine years ago, and differently. I suggest taking your trunk liner out and tracing it on a sheet of plywood. To make it like OP's, then cut off the side pieces leaving room to access the spare/jack/battery. Cut the center into your desired pieces so it can fold up, if that's what you want. Then install the carpet (I would probably do it laid out as if it were installed, then cut the carpet along the cut lines...). Place everything in your trunk.

Now, how I did it...

I followed the tracing step, then I used 2/4 to raise it up and built a frame for the two side pieces and the back just behind the seats. I have a door for spare access that hinges at the back piece and rests on the 2x4 frame. There is battery access that I can pry up with my finger and I use that to hold the spare tire door open. I bought carpet that was a close match and it wraps around each piece.

On hindsight, the 2x4 was probably overkill, If you like my approach, use something smaller and preserve that usable trunk space.

Edit: I also used MDF rather than plywood because I already had it. Go with whatever is lighter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mematt69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mematt69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mematt69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Sorry i been real busy lately (years later lls) yea i pretty much traced it using the carpet an then cut the traced piece in 4 peices then glued the carpet to the plywood.

Its holding up very good, i keep a 100+ pound tool box back there an always filling it with big tools an never had a problem with it at all.

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!