SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Doublesaturn
Doublesaturn is on a distinguished road

Default L200 Coolant Warning Light?

Lately this light on my tachometer has been coming on and a few seconds after it lights up a warning beep sounds off. Sometimes it does it when it's warm (the outside temp) or after the car warms up or maybe not at all. It's not a regular thing but lately it seems to be everyday.

The dealer told me it was probably the sensor in the coolant tank. I don't feel like spending a couple hundred dollars to have it replaced, especially when the part is probably less that $100, and I don't feel like paying the dealer a fee to just look and see what it is. Someone told me it could be sediment in the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone here experienced this before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash-light-warning.jpg (5.8 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doublesaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doublesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doublesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L200 Coolant Warning Light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublesaturn View Post
Lately this light on my tachometer has been coming on and a few seconds after it lights up a warning beep sounds off. Sometimes it does it when it's warm (the outside temp) or after the car warms up or maybe not at all. It's not a regular thing but lately it seems to be everyday.

The dealer told me it was probably the sensor in the coolant tank. I don't feel like spending a couple hundred dollars to have it replaced, especially when the part is probably less that $100, and I don't feel like paying the dealer a fee to just look and see what it is. Someone told me it could be sediment in the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone here experienced this before?
Did you check your coolant tank resoir to see how full it was? The tank has a mid level on it and that is where the coolant should be at and also should be a "ORANGE" color not Green. That is where you fill it if is low as the indicator is telling you. If you constantly fill it week after week this means your Water pump is failing and leaking and should be replaced ASAP. The sensor failing is a Diversion to make you pay more other then filling the tank first to see if the problem doesn't return again. If there is so called sediments you can take out the tank yourself and wash it out and put it back and fill it up again and run your car to make sure you fill to proper level and that will tell you if the sediment was the cause or not. So these are simple things you can do already without going to dealer. So a little homework and getting a Haynes/Chilton Saturn repair book can teach your more on your Saturn Maintenance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its the low coolant level indicator. Try filling it above the seam line, about a 1/2 inch above the seam with plain water and drive. If the light goes out you have choices; leave it as is or remove the coolant container and clean it with hot water and dishwashing detergent to loosen built up grime. Sediment means heavy stuff settling to the bottom that has no effect on the float. A film may have built up on every internal part of the container including the float to weigh it down and trigger the low level light when coolant level appears fine.

If more coolant, above the fill line doesn't turn off the light, the sensor in the coolant container or connection to it is faulty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Doublesaturn
Doublesaturn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. Yes the coolant level is good. Dealer even confirmed that during last oil change. Guess ill need to pull it out and clean as suggested. I was told I need to do this when engine is cold. Correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doublesaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doublesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doublesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes unless you don't mind being scalded with hot coolant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

I've removed coolant reservoir tanks on 2 cars now (never on an L series) to clean them out. Some of the 'translucent' ones get gunged up inside with sediment stains and as you said, sediment can and does sit in the bottom.

After removing them I've just given them a good clean inside with hot soapy water using a large nylon pipe cleaner scrubbers (can't think of their name right now) to get inside and all the nooks & crannies. Rinse with clean water, dry off, then reinstall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote