SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
Shmackey
Shmackey is on a distinguished road

Question 98 SL2: Faulty Dome Light

I have a 1998 SL2 and the dome light rarely works. If I smack it quite a bit, sometimes it will go on for just a little while. Actually, recently, even this hasn't worked. I assume this is a known problem--what's the fix? I'm out of warranty so I'm hoping it's just a fuse or something I can do myself.

Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shmackey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shmackey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Nope, not a "known" or "common" problem at all. Sounds like either the bulb is loose (likely) or the switch contacts are dirty or perhaps have a loose electrical connector. Start by popping off the lens and replacing or at least making sure the bulb is in tight.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
Shmackey

Cool! Anything I should know about removing the lens--that is, not to break anything? Wonder if I could get the bulb at a local parts store, or if I have to go to a dealer...

Thanks for the quick reply!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shmackey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

If you look closely at the lens, you will see a small notch made into the edge of it. Insert a small screw driver (a dime can be used as well) and twist it and the lens will pop off revealing the bulb underneath.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2003, 12:43 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Actually this is a fairly common problem on the 98's. There is a TSB on it.

Dome Lamp Inoperative, Dome Lamp Intermittent, or Dome Lamp bulb Flickers When Turned on -- Replace the Dome Lamp
1998 Saturns vehicles built after and including VIN WZ150315.

Condition:
Some customers may comment that their dome lamp is either inoperative, working intermittently, or flickers when turned ON.

Cause:
The dome lamp assemblies used in these vehicles may have insufficient bulb retention at the terminals, causing the dome lamp bulb to come loose.

Correction:
Replace the dome lamp assembly with a new assembly using revised bulb terminals. Refer to the Dome Lamp removal and installation procedure in the vehicle Interior Systems section of the 1998-1999 Body/Repair Service Manual.

Parts Requirements:
Part Number
Description

Lamp Asm -- DM Lt. Biscuit

Lamp Asm -- DM Lt. Warm Gray

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2003, 05:06 AM   #6
rfowler17
rfowler17 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

Awesome!!! Thanks!!!!!

Both my 98 SW's have that issue with the front dome light. Just lived with it, because it didn't really bother me enough to go after a fix. I'll pick up a couple of dome lights next time I am at the Saturns parts counter (which is often)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfowler17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfowler17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2003, 10:52 PM   #7
Shmackey

Cool. Fixed it by twisting the bulb a little bit. I'm sure it'll happen again but now I know what to do. Of course, I can't get the thing to snap back into the cheap plastic rectangle that sits above the headliner (and floats freely below the roof sheet metal. I'll figure that out though.

About how much does a new dome light assembly go for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2003, 12:46 AM   #8
Jersey-girl
Jersey-girl is on a distinguished road

*BRINGING THIS THREAD BACK TO LIFE*

Hi all. I'm having problems with my dome light and this thread came up in my search.

At first my problem was the light doing the flickering thing that you guys have mentioned already. So I got very frustrated and ended up kind of pulling the whole piece out of the the ceiling. Yada yada I saw that it was broken inside too and I bought a new one off of ebay. When I plugged it in the light worked and I was all set to pat myself on the back for fixing it. Needless to say I ran into a second problem. I can't get the darn thing to attach back to the ceiling. It's like it doesn't fit or something. But I know the one I got from ebay is the correct piece. I read that you guys mentioned velcro. Is that the way it originally was held in place or is that just a quick fix suggestion? I read in another forum that you can screw the assembly into the piece of metal frame but I tried that and it wouldn't hold in place. Does anyone have advice on how I can get it to fit snuggly and get back to normal once and for all?

Thanks soooo much!
-Becky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jersey-girl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jersey-girl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2003, 07:34 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

There should be three tabs on the ceiling side of the dome lamp. A single one that slides into a hole and the other two are looped hook tabs that get pushed back to let them go into their holes. This is usually best done with the lense off so that the two tabs can be moved by a screwdriver. If the tabs are not there then you got a broken dome lamp from E-bay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #10
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

I usually used a 1/4" self tapping screw to resecure every domelight I ever came in contact with. Those tabs almost always break, and then the darn thing hits you in the head when you least expect it. Bear in mind, that this does not work on wagons, or cars with sunroofs, as the screw will go right through the roof, and not into the reinforcement rib.

And don't even try to use a screw longer than 1/4", unless you want to perforate the top of your car.

Now that I think of it, dont' even try this... or if you do, dont blame me if the screw goes through the roof...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #11
ssicarman

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturn-Eh!
I usually used a 1/4" self tapping screw to resecure every domelight I ever came in contact with. Those tabs almost always break, and then the darn thing hits you in the head when you least expect it. Bear in mind, that this does not work on wagons, or cars with sunroofs, as the screw will go right through the roof, and not into the reinforcement rib.

And don't even try to use a screw longer than 1/4", unless you want to perforate the top of your car.

Now that I think of it, dont' even try this... or if you do, dont blame me if the screw goes through the roof...
I hate drilling into cars for anything, never mind doing one with the possibility of holing the roof. Like it's about the last thing that I would suggest. My opinion is compared to a roof with a an extra hole the cost of a brand new dome lamp is nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2003, 09:32 PM   #12
Rob1998SL2
Rob1998SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default You know...

I have a 98 SL2, and I also have this problem. My solution was to tell the people who come in my car that the light NOT turning on whan you get in or out was a "luxury" option, because the light coming on was disturbing. I swear a number of people believed me. I need to get smarter friends.

-Rob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob1998SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob1998SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread