SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
topodaddy
topodaddy is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Help! My locks are possessed!

This morning, while driving into work, I stopped off at a convience store. When I returned to my 99 SL2 HCE, 178k, the key fob would not unlock the doors. I was able to get in using the key; however, shortly after getting back on the road, the locks started a perpetual clicking, as if they were stuck in a lock/unlock cycle, but the locks weren't actually locking or unlocking. This eventually stopped. The lock/unlock buttons inside the car are no longer working, but I can use the lock/unlock tab to lock the doors. If I push the lock or unlock buttons inside, the perpetual clicking starts up again, but does eventually stop. Any suggestions/thoughts? Also, I'm supposed to visit my kids in Atlanta tomorrow (driving from SC), will it be a good idea to drive my Sadie? Thanks in advance.

1999 Saturn SL2
Homecoming Edition
"Freedom isn't Free!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topodaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topodaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Help! My locks are possessed!

Pop out the lock/unlock buttons on each door (flat tip screwdriver shoved in at the bottom and pry out), one at a time, and unplug it. When the clicking from the locks goes away you've found the broken switch, which is generally the driver's door switch.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ I agree but I think the driver's door lock switch should be disconnected temporarily. A worn out switch has been found the cause of cycling door lock solenoids that can contribute to discharging a car battery. Using manual locks for a few days to be sure the cycling locks don't come back can confirm a worn out switch. Some members were able to disassemble and clean their switches for reuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Some members were able to disassemble and clean their switches for reuse.
There's plastic safe electronics parts cleaner that could be of benefit.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Having replaced both these switches on my sons 2002 SL2, they are fairly easy to replace and pricewise they are are about $36.00 apiece from the dealer.
The part numbers are 21023580 for the passenger switch and 21023581 for the drivers side.
After fitting them, I decided to open up the old switches and try and determine what causes them to click. The switch boxes are just clipped together with plastic clips. Easy to open up and close back. Here's what I found.
Many rocker switches have a spring to give the switch its 'rock'. Saturn in their wisdom use a small piece of foam instead. So you have this centrally hinged plastic rocker piece with the contacts behind. Keeping this rocker piece vertical is the piece of foam. The springiness in the foam keeps the switch vertical. However, over time this foam begins to loose its springiness and flattens outs. So the switch will no longer return to the normal place, instead it will 'sit' on the contacts and hence the clicking.
I had already bought the new switches before finding this out, but having seen how they are made, a small piece of foam about 1/4" thick cut to the same shape as the original foam and you will put the switch to new. The foam will also cost a little less than $72.00 for 2 new switches.
Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topodaddy View Post
This morning, while driving into work, I stopped off at a convience store. When I returned to my 99 SL2 HCE, 178k, the key fob would not unlock the doors. I was able to get in using the key; however, shortly after getting back on the road, the locks started a perpetual clicking, as if they were stuck in a lock/unlock cycle, but the locks weren't actually locking or unlocking. This eventually stopped. The lock/unlock buttons inside the car are no longer working, but I can use the lock/unlock tab to lock the doors. If I push the lock or unlock buttons inside, the perpetual clicking starts up again, but does eventually stop. Any suggestions/thoughts? Also, I'm supposed to visit my kids in Atlanta tomorrow (driving from SC), will it be a good idea to drive my Sadie? Thanks in advance.
FetchitFido is correct. I JUST had this same thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago....it freaked me out. It was the DS switch. It had a noticeable difference in resistance (much less) when the buttons were pressed in, compared to the PS switch.

floridasl22002 is probably recommending new OEM switches at that price. But I purchased one made by Dorman for MUCH less than $36. They can be found on RockAuto, E-bay, or Amazon....for less than $20 with shipping I would think. The Dorman one looks and functions like an original....no problems at all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

I had this issue on one of my sl2s and it killed my battery. I got mine from a semi local salvage yard for $20 and I also found out that both switches are the same. I got a passenger side that was like new and it fit to the drivers side without a problem.

U do not even have to take off the handle, just pry out the switch with a small flat screwdriver.

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
topodaddy
topodaddy is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice on this problem. I had not gotten around to pulling the driver's side power lock switch until last night. Of course, this was after Sadie had sat for three days while I was out of town, and the issue had drained the battery, which had me driving my girlfriend's Ford Fusion yesterday. Well, last night, I pulled the switch and the issue went away. Now, I'm just waiting delivery of a new switch from Advance Auto Parts, but Sadie is working just fine today. Again, thanks for the advice.

1999 Saturn SL2
Homecoming Edition
"Freedom isn't Free!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topodaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topodaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
2002_SL2
2002_SL2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Yes, the LH switch is only $13.39 from Amazon or Advance Auto Parts. Dorman 901-135. Also found the OEM bagged part 21023581 (10/25/2016) on ebay for $16.00. If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, you can have the switch in two days, free shipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2002_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2002_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2002_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote