SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
Rochester
Rochester is just really niceRochester is just really niceRochester is just really niceRochester is just really nice

1995 SL1
Default Time to replace my starter?

Hi guys,

So for the last few days, I've had a little bit of trouble starting my Saturn. Sometimes I'll turn the key and it starts just fine, but other times it sounds like the starter isn't working, or at least isn't turning the engine. I can hear something that sounds like an electric motor (fuel pump maybe?) and sometimes, but not always, some clicking. Curiously, I've discovered that I can make the car start by turning the key over (edge for edge) and trying again, though I can't imagine how this possibly helps, unless returning the switch to the "off" position and/or waiting for a few seconds is helping somehow.

The battery and electrical system seem to be ok; I have no problems after I get the car started, and all the warning lights go out. So far as I know, the starter is the original (261K) and is certainly the same one as when I got the car (about 140K miles ago). Is there anything else that I should check before I go out and get a starter? I replaced a starter on a former girl-friend's Saturn one time, so I'm confident I can do it again if I have to.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rochester's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rochester reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #2
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Time to replace my starter?

Might as well do the alternator too. Get both from db electrical. Like 130 shipped

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:39 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nothing lasts forever and 261k miles is almost forever on the original starter. Its been reliable and is worn out. You have choices; try disassembling it and see what's worn (replacing parts) to rebuild it or replace it altogether. To verify the starter is worn out; disconnect battery negative and the small purple wire on the starter solenoid. Reconnect battery negative, measure the purple wire for 12 volts when someone turns the ignition key to the START position; 12 volts should be on this wire only when the ignition switch is turned to the START position. Seeing 12v means the starter is worn out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
Might as well do the alternator too. Get both from db electrical. Like 130 shipped
Good advice^^^ http://www.dbelectrical.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

On the idea of a disassembly and rebuild. The cost of the parts required and your time value will usually be about the same as buying a new starter from DB Electric or a similar outlet. This assumes you have an armature lathe to turn the commutator. Be sure to check Amazon and eBay for these. A well used starter will need more than just brushes and a set of just brushes will be in the $7.50/set price range in most cases, if you can find them. The starter is a Valeo D6RA and you can search on that for parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Rochester
Rochester is just really niceRochester is just really niceRochester is just really niceRochester is just really nice

1995 SL1

Did it.

The top bolt was a little difficult, being invisible from beneath the car, but got it out. As I turned the old starter over in my hands, I noticed the little gear that turns the wheel freely moved up and down between the engage and disengage positions. The new one didn't. It works much better now, no trouble starting it at all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rochester's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rochester reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #7
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

> " freely moved up and down "
'Bendix' drive shot.

If difficulty re-appears consider renewing the Ignition Switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I am on my 3rd starter, but the original alternator. 212k miles is probably a lot on the alternator, huh?

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The brushes wear out and the output slowly sinks into the sunset taking the battery with it. Time to replace it. DB sells alternators as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!