SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
dlacacres
dlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of light

Default Brake and Shake

OK, so I know that there a lot of threads out there about this issue, but its very tough weeding through them all and finding the solution. A lot has been done to this VUE, but it still has the shake in the steering wheel when braking from 70mph, and the pulsation during a slow stop. Here's all the pertinent info:

2005 VUE, V6, FWD, 145,000 miles
NEW rear drums
NEW tires
NEW front calipers and pads
NEW caliper pins
NEW front rotors (re-cut to eliminate any lateral runout).

Had the issue before all these parts were replaced, still have the same issue.
Sometimes you can hear a rhythmic creak in tune with the pulsation on a slow stop coming from drivers front. Im lost and the shop I took it to is at a loss as well. Any help...please? Hint: Its not the brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dlacacres's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dlacacres reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dlacacres is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Brake and Shake

Worn suspension, steering? Can you disable ABS (pull abs fuse) temporarily to eliminate it from contributing to this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #3
dlacacres
dlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of light

Suspension is fine - checked by two different repair shops. ABS fuse? My daughter lives 1.5 hours away, next time I see her, I might try that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dlacacres reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

How about checking run-out with the rotor on the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Have the caliper slide pins been greased in the last 5000 miles? YOu might try changing to all solid pins while you're it.

Another cause:
THere are 2 U-joints in the steering. It's possible the bolt that snugs down each connection to it's splined mate "downstream" is loose.

BEfore tightening it, loosen it so that any axial play in the joint can be taken up( pull on it)..

Then tighten it.

One is easy to see if you look face up where your ankles would be while driving.

Other is in the engine bay.

Have the caliper slide pins been greased in the last 5000 miles? YOu might try changing to all solid pins while you're it.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...Betcha its the rotors, you had them cut which makes them thinner and more prone to warping even faster, they're bad to begin with ,stock. Thanx to NY salty winters ,I buy a set every 2 years. Don't waste your time cutting rotors in my opinion, just my .02, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

It does sound like the rotors are still warped. The common creaking sound kind of confirms it. The creaking sound is from the front sway bar moving in its bushings, and it only occurs when the left/right forces are unbalanced That sound will go away for a while if you replace the sway bar end links and bushings and/or grease the bushings. I'd bring the rotors to another place to get checked / turned. They may have not used a torque wrench when they (or you?) reinstalled the wheels. That can warp rotors. Even taking the wheels off and reinstalling all four of them in different locations can affect this. Are your tires okay? Not out of round/tread separation? No bent rim? You could try moving (rotating) the front tires and wheels to the back of the Vue and the rears to the front. That would test whether or not you have a bad tire or rim if the ride changes. You didn't have the new drums turned I noticed. The last mail order drums I bought were warped from the get go. That doesn't make the steering wheel shake but it makes the whole car shake in a front to back motion.

Last edited by Rivernut; 08-29-2015 at 07:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rivernut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rivernut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
dlacacres

Its not the brakes, (drums replaced twice by repair shop), its not the rotors (putting new ones on did nothing to improve anything), caliper pins have been replaced by solid pins, its not the tires (old tires, new tires, same shake). Stab bar bushings are a possibility, did that to my wifes ION and problem was solved. Looking for someone who had this issue and solved it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlacacres View Post
. Looking for someone who had this issue and solved it.
HAve you checked this yet?
Another cause:
THere are 2 U-joints in the steering. It's possible the bolt that snugs down each connection to it's splined mate "downstream" is loose.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlacacres View Post
Its not the brakes, (drums replaced twice by repair shop), its not the rotors (putting new ones on did nothing to improve anything), caliper pins have been replaced by solid pins, its not the tires (old tires, new tires, same shake). Stab bar bushings are a possibility, did that to my wifes ION and problem was solved. Looking for someone who had this issue and solved it.
I've had the same problem on my sl-1 as well as the VUE, turned out to be rust scale on the hub. Since both sl-1 and vue use hat style rotors if the surface they ride on (the hub surface) is not flat then the pads deposit material on the high spots and the pulsing returns. Pull the rotors off and inspect the hubs surface for scale(rust). Note, the acceptable run out for a rotor is something like .04 inches so it doesn't take much.

Best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you sure of 0.04 as acceptable runout? If I'm not mistaken, 0.04 is a typical spark plug gap and large. I thought it was more like 0.002 inch absolute runout using a dial indicator. 0.04 or spark plug gap would be obvious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are you sure of 0.04 as acceptable runout? If I'm not mistaken, 0.04 is a typical spark plug gap and large. I thought it was more like 0.002 inch absolute runout using a dial indicator. 0.04 or spark plug gap would be obvious.
Whether it's 4 hundredths or 4 thousandth of an inch, it doesn't take much rust on the mating surface to cause the rotor to not run true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, there's a big difference between 0.040 and 0.002. Two thousandths runout is most likely not noticeable to anyone using brakes since worn brake with wavy ridges on rotors and pads deeper than two thousandths aren't generating vibrations. Forty thousandths runout is obvious without a dial caliper and seen almost immediately by just spinning a tire - the large runout would be seen and heard as brakes bind. Two thousandths is nothing relative to runout. Forty thousandths is twenty times more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
dlacacres

So my daughter came back from college for Thanksgiving and I tackled the Vue to fix this problem. Im posting this in case anyone else has this issue and to close the loop on this item. Early on, I said it wasn't the brakes...it's the front lower control arm Rear Bushings. It's a piece of cake to replace and less than $100 for both sides. My daughter just texted me and said "it's so smooooth". Yeah!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!