SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
RetiredGuy
RetiredGuy will become famous soon enough

2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Missing my L-300 a little....

Really like the newer car I traded my '04 L-300 in on, which is a 2014 Impala Limited (older body style) with some interesting viewpoints:

Plus factors to the Impala:

Interior room
Trunk space
Ease of access
Ready availability of parts and service compared to Saturn
Insurance premiums only $200 a year more
Better riding

Negative factors to the Impala:

Not as fun to drive
Numb steering
Looks like everything else on the road
A typical "old fart car" (laughing here, because I AM an old fart)

Gas mileage is about the same...22.5 average. The only real gripe I have about my former Saturn and the newer Impala is the crappy towing capacity...I still have a 1990 F-150 with the 4.9 six...with the 3.55 rear gears and 150 hp it is rated to tow 6,000 pounds. Both the Impala and my older Saturn have a lot more horsepower and much better brakes but hitching on my aluminum 800 pound utility trailer basically maxed out the tow capacity of both vehicles. I hate today's cheapo s*it unibodies. Had an '04 Lesabre that had the factory package and it could tow 3,000 pounds. Miss that one more than the Saturn !!

"I didn't plan to do anything today, and by noon I was already half done."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RetiredGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RetiredGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RetiredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Missing my L-300 a little....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
.... The only real gripe I have about my former Saturn and the newer Impala is the crappy towing capacity...I still have a 1990 F-150 with the 4.9 six...with the 3.55 rear gears and 150 hp it is rated to tow 6,000 pounds. Both the Impala and my older Saturn have a lot more horsepower and much better brakes but hitching on my aluminum 800 pound utility trailer basically maxed out the tow capacity of both vehicles. I hate today's cheapo s*it unibodies. Had an '04 Lesabre that had the factory package and it could tow 3,000 pounds. Miss that one more than the Saturn !!
As with everything in life,there are compromises so downsizing car size was one way to address mandates to raise overall corporate average fuel economy since the first gas shortages and even/odd license plate refueling fiascos of the past. While its always been a political and corporate marriage of petroleum production when playing with the big boys and their multibillion dollar budgets swaying anyone in business or politics, the car owner not having deep pockets pays the piper. With land yachts (60's and 70's) long gone from American culture with the ability to tow yachts with big V8 engines, mid to full size suv's besides pick up trucks are the only real vehicles rated and capable of towing stuff in relative safety. Since many do not tow, the market dictates downsizing until the suv craze popularized a return to bigness without having the towing capacity. Compromises due to the same number of owners not interested in towing leaves the small minority of boat, snowmobile, wave runners, whatever, to search for a second vehicle for towing.

As often said, you can't have it all. While the land yachts of the '60's and 70's with V8 engines were capable of towing, they also didn't have great fuel economy everyone cries about now, especially when suv owners cried the loudest when fuel went above $4/gal. You won't hear about any Corvette driver complaining about poor fuel economy even when light footing it for the best economy when its made for pleasure and a heavy foot is normal. High horsepower cars using premium fuel is still going to drop fuel economy for quick driving despite the ability to have good mileage (at the expense of mandatory premium gas prices).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote