SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
StrongFire
StrongFire is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default ECTS - Is this normal?

I've had a cooling problem with my 2001 Saturn SL2. I replaced the radiator since there was a crack on the side. That took care of leaking fluid. I still noticed that the car was overheating in prolonged stop and go traffic. I did some diagnostics and found that the fan motor had failed. The car is still overheating. It looks like the fan starts when the coolant temperature hits 221. This appears to be too high since I have coolant boiling over and have to add coolant.

I have not been able to find ECTS specs to know if this is normal. When I drive with my diagnostic tool plugged in, it appears that the ECTS temperature reading is accurate. I'll be glad to replace the ECTS, but I'm trying to understand what is normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrongFire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrongFire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrongFire is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: ECTS - Is this normal?

Since you are in a 2001 model, you may or may not already have the brass ECTS - the year they made the change. The fan motor will not kick on unless:

1) Your AC is on
2) The engine reaches a certain temperature.

I don't recall what the temp should be before it turns on, but you may not have an issue. Others have reported similar experiences depending on the type of traffic you normally drive in. SOME have installed a switch to force the fan to run.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Saturn 96 model year and newer temperature gauge reading vs. actual temperature as read from the ECTS.

GAGE Reading..........ECTS Temperature..........Event
.....1/4.................................150 F
.....3/8.................................192 F...................T-stat cracks open
.....3/8+................................195 F
.....1/2.................................212 F
.....9/16................................221 F...................Fan ON
.....7/16................................210 F...................Fan OFF coast to 205 F

Sounds like you need a new pressure cap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Has the fan failed or is it simply not coming on when it should? Your post doesn't make it clear. You say it's failed, then say it doesn't come on till 221?
If the fan has failed completely, then I'd replace that and then move on to the next cooling issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

about 220 is when it should come on BUT if you're testing the temp with a probe in the tank and no pressure cap, by the time the fan would come on the system will be burping fluid pretty rapidly especially if the mix is not right.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
jasenpeters
jasenpeters is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

ECTS:

If you've never changed it, change it anyway.
Get the brass (I don't think they even make the plastic/teflon one anymore).

It's under $10, at parts stores. Plenty of videos, pic and stories of how this little device can have you chasing your tail for weeks on end.

Re-Animated: 2015-08-18, 220,497 + 6000 Miles
1996 SC2 DOHC, Manual, 220k, 36mpg Hwy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasenpeters's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasenpeters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasenpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
StrongFire
StrongFire is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

How am I measuring the coolant temperature? I have a scanner plugged in OBD2 port. So the pressure cap is not removed. Thanks to guyg for the data.

What have I done to this point? The radiator was replaced earlier this year. Also, I ended up replacing the cooling fan after I ran several tests to try to get it to start including removing it and connecting it directly to a 12-volt power supply. New fan works great when it is on.

I think I will try replacing the pressure cap first and then working on replacing the ECTS in a couple of months. A few weeks ago my daughters Cavalier was overheating. It turned out that the problem was a pressure cap that wasn't on tight enough. She hasn't had any problems since then. Her cooling fan came on at 212, which is one of the reasons why I was trying to find out the temperature that would trigger the cooling fan to come on.

Again, thanks to everyone giving me the benefit of your knowledge!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrongFire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrongFire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrongFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Evidently once the car has been overheated the gasket in the pressure cap is dislodged, not allowing the system to build pressure to prevent boil-over and must be replaced. It is not recommend to use 50/50 anti-freeze a higher concentration does better. Search for posts from Oldnuc about flush or fill procedure.

Last edited by guyg; 08-23-2015 at 07:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote