SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Oldboyoh
Oldboyoh is on a distinguished road

Default Plasti Dip Thread

So I picked this gem up for a backup vehicle a couple weeks ago and figured I would have some fun with it! Plasti-Dipped the wheels and grills and emblems. I couldn't find a plasti dip thread for the vue so.....

Post up your Plasti-Dip projects!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (135.1 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 20150812_184649.jpg (127.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (131.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (142.3 KB, 133 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oldboyoh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oldboyoh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oldboyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Plasti Dip Thread

Normally, I'm not a fan of Plastidip but you did a good job with the grille, tailgate garnish, wheels and push bar.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Deltaphi216
Deltaphi216 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboyoh View Post
So I picked this gem up for a backup vehicle a couple weeks ago and figured I would have some fun with it! Plasti-Dipped the wheels and grills and emblems. I couldn't find a plasti dip thread for the vue so.....

Post up your Plasti-Dip projects!
I dipped all of my plastics earlier this summer. I need to get some better pics.

anybody know how to get the TERRIBLE pinstripe off? I've tried peeling it, but just succeeded in scratching the paint.

-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5speed - on engine #2 - damn timing chains!
-2006 Nissan Xterra S - Ordering parts for a Titan swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deltaphi216's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deltaphi216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deltaphi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the pinstripes are stick-on, try a heat gun. Heat guns are used to remove window tint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Deltaphi216

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If the pinstripes are stick-on, try a heat gun. Heat guns are used to remove window tint.
ahhh. good call. I tried some goo gone and it didn't even phase them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Deltaphi216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaphi216 View Post
I dipped all of my plastics earlier this summer. I need to get some better pics.

anybody know how to get the TERRIBLE pinstripe off? I've tried peeling it, but just succeeded in scratching the paint.

"anybody know how to get the TERRIBLE pinstripe off? ".....
body shops use a eraser wheel (3m make one) on a drill to remove them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Oldboyoh

Thanks for the compliments! And about that pinstripe..

The pin stripe is a pain. What I did was soak it in bug and tar remover for 15 mins then...heres the kinda scary part but it works, I had the back to a remote control cover laying around (fairly soft plastic) I took the edge at about a 20 degree angle from the surface and pushed firmly against the stripe down the door. It comes off pretty easily (Make sure the surface still has plenty of bug and tar remove on it.

Then I buffed the glue off and waxed the car afterwords. It took a few hours but was worth it

No scratches or scuffs but I could see it being risky with a black car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Oldboyoh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
Deltaphi216

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboyoh View Post
Thanks for the compliments! And about that pinstripe..

The pin stripe is a pain. What I did was soak it in bug and tar remover for 15 mins then...heres the kinda scary part but it works, I had the back to a remote control cover laying around (fairly soft plastic) I took the edge at about a 20 degree angle from the surface and pushed firmly against the stripe down the door. It comes off pretty easily (Make sure the surface still has plenty of bug and tar remove on it.

Then I buffed the glue off and waxed the car afterwords. It took a few hours but was worth it

No scratches or scuffs but I could see it being risky with a black car.
Thanks for the tip. As you can see, it's almost scratched away on the rear door, but like new in the front. It looks like hell

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaphi216 View Post
Thanks for the tip. As you can see, it's almost scratched away on the rear door, but like new in the front. It looks like hell
Plastic razor blades or plastic spreader work really well with the help of a heat gun on getting pinstripes or stickers off. Then some scratch remover & a buff wheel gets the "ghosting" off the paint. WD40 for left over glue on the body.

Plastic Razor Blades:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...omotive&mc=DIS

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #10
SaturnRuss
SaturnRuss is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Hey Deltaphi216, the PlastiDip on the front bumper looks good.

I know it's off topic, but what size and brand of tires are those? They look great. I've got to get new tires soon and I was thinking of upgrading to something like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRuss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRuss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Deltaphi216

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnRuss View Post
Hey Deltaphi216, the PlastiDip on the front bumper looks good.

I know it's off topic, but what size and brand of tires are those? They look great. I've got to get new tires soon and I was thinking of upgrading to something like that.
Thanks Russ! I have 255/55/r18's on it. Cooper Discoverer HT Plus. DTD had them on sale for $118 a tire with a bunch of rebates. They are HUGE! makes the car look WAY better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2016, 03:46 AM   #12
ebenditt
ebenditt is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I just plasti dip my center dash trim (where the radio and power windows switches are) and am going to be doing the front/rear bumpers and user-side plastic molding on the driver and passenger sides as the black molding is faded and gray and no matter the restoration (back to black, etc.) it was a no go as it faded fast after a couple of rains. i have a question tho before I do it would you recommend using the glossifer and/or adding a clear coat layer to protect it further? I know with adding a clear coat it makes it harder to remove but I am interested in your thoughts.

Saturn Vue 3.5L v6 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ebenditt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ebenditt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ebenditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
RTjman
RTjman is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I dipped my tails and front corners as soon as spring hit after I bought my Vue. I only did 2 layers of black, and I believe another 2 of the glossifier. I was going for a stock look--the tails almost look a dark wine red when you're up close. Same with my corners, they have a smoky orange tint that manages to get over on the eyes. I originally was on the hunt for euro tails and clear corners, but I realized I'd like this look alot better. More custom IMO.

I also dipped my badges--you can't really see from this pic, but they went from straight silver and red, to silver black and red. My Vue is the only one in the city that looks like this now! I've had guys say they saw me because of my "custom" truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmokedSaturnVue.jpg (31.5 KB, 61 views)

2004 Vue 3.5 V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RTjman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RTjman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RTjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #14
Vetteguy904
Vetteguy904 is on a distinguished road

I thought about plasti dip but what I want to do plasti dip doesn't have the detail control i need. I REALLY would like to get a wrap that emulates Dr Who's Tardis since the vue is nearly the same color

2007 Vue 2.2l auto 4 spd Auto.
2001 Corvette vert 5.7l 6 spd man

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vetteguy904's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vetteguy904 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vetteguy904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #15
Oldboyoh

If anyone is curious how well it works. I paid a buddy to dip my whole truck. It came out awesome. Supplies were ~350. It is a anthractite grey with a lot of white pearl

There are a few concerns living with a dipped car I have and may update you guys later, but gas melts plasti dip so it can mess it up if you are not careful. Other than that so far it seems as durable as normal paint.

I was going to do the vue next but i had timing chain issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160609_184904.jpg (103.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160609_184507.jpg (119.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160609_184445.jpg (144.0 KB, 32 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
spenser4
spenser4 is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: Plasti Dip Thread

I Plasti Dip an 2003 Vue grey trim. I bought the FWD Vue for $500 had a blown engine. Some good old fashion elbow grease I replaced the engine. (Before I put the engine in I replaced the timing belt. Awesome thread showing how and the homemade cam lock for $3. Valve cover gaskets water pump T-state plugs intake plate and manifold gasket.) New engine had 98,000 miles on it. Engine and parts another $800. Total cost for car $1300. I've been offered good money for the car. I think I am going to keep it as my daily driver. I'll take pics and attach later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spenser4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spenser4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spenser4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #17
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTjman View Post
I dipped my tails and front corners as soon as spring hit after I bought my Vue.
Ah, the old "6-volt Bug" or "failing alternator" look

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #18
spenser4
spenser4 is on a distinguished road

As promised here are my pictures of the Bumpers and rocker panels spayed with Plasti Dip I have ran it through the touchless car wash and also Those coin op high pressure spray wash no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sat 1.jpg (194.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg sat 2.jpg (169.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg sat 3.jpg (196.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg sat 4.jpg (166.1 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spenser4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spenser4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spenser4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Saturngirl4ever
Saturngirl4ever is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Dumb question, but what exactly is Plasti-dip?

I've seen it in stores, but not quite exactly sure what it is? Is it paint or?

Thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturngirl4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturngirl4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturngirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There's never a dumb question when its asked by someone not familiar with something. As a PR response, "Plasti Dip is an air-dry, specialty rubber coating. In fact, it's the original peelable, flexible, insulating, non-slip, durable rubber coating. The Plasti Dip product line provides a wide range of coating solutions from automotive customization to home improvement."

Google 'what is Plasti-dip?' and click all the hits Google comes back with. I remember Plasti-dip as a liquid rubber for creating rubber coated handles on pliers, handles needing a slip proof coating, creating rubber coatings on specialty parts by dipping the part in a can of liquid plastic. It branched into spray can or quart/gallon cans for custom spraying on parts for a flat look without the shine from regular paint coatings on cars. Rubberizing has its benefits and its drawbacks (gasoline dissolving the coating).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote