SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
theinternetthug
theinternetthug has a spectacular aura abouttheinternetthug has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 2001 L200 e-brake cable not working

As I stated in the title, I have a 2001 L200 and the e-brake won't hold the car. Even all the way pulled up. I've adjusted the cable tension in the drums on the back wheels (if that's what itsit's called) and it won't hold my car. Am I going to have to replace the cable?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to theinternetthug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help theinternetthug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
theinternetthug is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L200 e-brake cable not working

From the reads it sounds like your cable is rusted? Did you exam the parking cable run to see how operational it is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I need to find how to get mine going and which ones and where they needed replaced at exactly. It's completely frozen up. My Mom's 2003 is as well. I bought a double cable with a connector bushing on the end via Rock Auto in March and a friend of mine said, "That's the wrong cables" "You need the brake drum cables". "You got the cables from the brake handle to the section where it divides to the rear drums". How do you figure ? I guess I may have to post a picture of what I have to show what ones I've got. They looked correct to me. He's done more work on this type of thing than I have. He may be right. Thanks for the advise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
theinternetthug
theinternetthug has a spectacular aura abouttheinternetthug has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
From the reads it sounds like your cable is rusted? Did you exam the parking cable run to see how operational it is?
I have and it doesn't look rusty. I'm thinking maybe it's just stretched out? If I pull the handle all the way up, there's some friction between the rear breaks and the drums, but not nearly enough to hold the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help theinternetthug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm wanting to make sure that I understand you. Are you saying that the parking brake lever is at the very last notch for upward travel? Did you not adjust the cable at the parking brake lever?

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-20-2015 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: clarity

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
theinternetthug

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I'm wanting to make sure that I understand you. Are you saying that the parking brake lever is at the very last notch for upward travel? Did you not adjust the cable at the parking brake lever?
Yes the lever is at the last notch in the upward position. No I was unaware you could adjust it at the handle. The only place I've adjusted it was inside the drums where the pads are

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

From the Haynes manual:
1) Block the front wheels, raise the rear of the vehicle and support it securely on jack stands. With the parking brake released, pull on the lever until you hear the third click.
2) To gain access to the parking brake cable adjuster, remove the parking brake lever boot.
3)Turn the adjuster nut on the lever clockwise while rotating the rear wheels. Stop turning the nut when the brakes start to drag heavily on the rear wheels.
4) Release the parking brake and check to see that the brakes don't drag when the rear wheels are turned. Proper travel of the parking brake lever is from three to five clicks.

Be sure to let us know how it works out. Thanks!

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-23-2015 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Added request.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
theinternetthug

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
From the Haynes manual:
1) Block the front wheels, raise the rear of the vehicle and support it securely on jack stands. With the parking brake released, pull on the lever until you hear the third click.
2) To gain access to the parking brake cable adjuster, remove the parking brake lever boot.
3)Turn the adjuster nut on the lever clockwise while rotating the rear wheels. Stop turning the nut when the brakes start to drag heavily on the rear wheels.
4) Release the parking brake and check to see that the brakes don't drag when the rear wheels are turned. Proper travel of the parking brake lever is from three to five clicks.

Be sure to let us know how it works out. Thanks!
This did work! I apologize for the late response, but thank you so much!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!