SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
Littleman
Littleman is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Wrench 94 SC2 A/C - T/S Break in Compressor Power Wire?

So, I decided to get my A/C working again. I've suffered through many Florida and Nebraska summers and I decided I needed a project. I had been told a few years ago that I needed to replace my compressor due to a failure in pump down test, so I got a donor compressor from a local yard and installed it with a new drier and replaced some o-rings until I successfully passed a vacuum test at my local auto hobby shop. Filled it with 134a (A/C tech did this with the machine) to pressure and, when we tried to test run it, the clutch would not engage.

I've tried many troubleshooting suggestions from the site: swapped relay with fan with no effect, hi/low connector has good voltage and sensor has continuity showing good pressure, jumpering the connector did not like in clutch, and I followed a RichPin troubleshooting video and found all voltages and grounds good except I get no voltage out to compressor, so I'm assuming a break somewhere in the wiring between the relay leaving the fuse box and the connector.

I tried the easy test between the compressor plug and a small quick splice box a few inches down the wire (where a black and green wire are joined), but no voltage there. My next guess was to look under the fuse box for a broken/corroded connection below the relay, but after reading around, I didn't find any good walk through on how to remove the box short of warnings to not remove the top two bolts that keep things sandwiched together. I disconnected the negative terminal from battery, the positive wire from the fuse box, the resonator, and the three mounting bolt. The box now lifts just a little, but not nearly enough to inspect and from what little I can see from the firewall end of the box, it looks like it's a mess of wires coming into the bottom, which I don't want to remove unless necessary or at least until I can see what I'm doing better.

Any advice on if the harnesses pull out more than an inch or more? Is there a better way to find a break in the wire without pulling the fuse box? I'm trying to fix the problem instead of rigging a switch to the dash. I'm not great on wiring, but dabble enough to figure things out with good instructions. If I left anything out that can help, please let me know. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Littleman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Littleman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Re: 94 SC2 A/C - T/S Break in Compressor Power Wire?

with the a/c switch on, pull the relay that the a/c is on, and check each lead to ground, I don't know saturn wiring that well, but I would expect at least one would have power on it. If there is power, then problem is between compressor and relay. If no power, problem is "upstream" of the relay. Not sure how much that helps, but that's where I would start.

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Littleman

1994 SC2

Thanks. Yep, I verified power at the relay, but I'm trying to find the best way to troubleshoot out from the relay. I forget what the call out number is for power at the relay, but it was in the richpin video - it was a 2nd Gen fuse box with different relays in the video, but the post numbers still coincided with my 1st Gen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Littleman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87A relay pin outs.jpg (27.5 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

May help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif8148.jpg (178.1 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Littleman

1994 SC2

Those are great troubleshooting and relay diagrams. I'm convinced I'm dealing with a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the compressor connector . Am trying to remove the r. I am trying to get under the fuse box to get to the harnesses, but I can't even lift the box out enough to see the connectors. Can I do this from above or do I somehow need to go through the wheel well? If iI can get to a good part of the harness, I assume I can even splice in a good wire to run individually to the compressor.

On a related note, near the compressor connector, the two wires that get joined just inches before the connector plug - what are they? I would expect a 12v lead, but not sure why there would be 2 spliced into 1. They are green and black. Power and ground? This is just a curiosity - my main drive is figuring out how to find the break and to get voltage to the compressor. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

I assume that the compressor will run if you power its clutch directly, correct? I would rig a temporary switch for that, not even mounting it out on the dash, and get some run-time on the A/C; make sure it is really fixed before chasing into the wire harness. You may be unpleasantly surprised by how short-lived the A/C fix is...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is a thermal fuse mounted in the HP head of that compressor which is no longer required with R-134a, is it bypassed? If you run the compressor with a failed TXV or inadequate system gas and oil charge you will promptly trash the compressor. Jumpering interlocks will-nilly is not prudent. Aluminum on aluminum without oil does not work well.

Do you have 12v at he low pressure switch located next to the fuse box?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, green is power from the relay contacts, when 30 & 87 close to send power to the green wire. Black is ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

These are scans from the paper 94 FSM. The High Temp Switch was eliminated in later compressor clutch systems.

To enable an A/C request signal from the PCM the button must be depressed and the cabin blower must be on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HVAC-94-1.jpg (139.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC-94-2.jpg (158.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC-94-3.jpg (152.6 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote