SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
jmcguire
jmcguire is on a distinguished road

Wrench 1994 Saturn SC1 vs SC2: Tires

I am a new user, just registered. My girlfriend and I have a 1994 Saturn SC_. I honestly cannot say with confidence whether it is a SC1 or SC2.

We got the car 2 or 3 years ago at a GREAT deal and used it for a while. We ended up not needing a second car, and because our other car is newer, we decided to park the Saturn.

It has been off the road for a little over a year now. The time has come again that we need the second car. There are a few small things that need to be done, some of which I have taken care of already or will take care of this weekend. The only one I am having issue with is the tires.

I was almost certain (though now I am starting to doubt myself) that this car was a SC1 and had 14" wheels on it.

When adding insurance and tags back today, the DMV registration says that the car is a SC2, (but for some reason I was thinking it was an SC1).

According to TireRack.com:
1994 Saturn SC1 - 185/70-14
1994 Saturn SC2 - 195/60-15

Unfortunately I am at work, and by the time I get off work, and drive to where the Saturn currently is to physically inspect it myself, all the local shops will have closed, so I won't be able to verify if they have the tires. I was hoping to either get tires tomorrow, or at the very least have them place the order before COB today, so they would be in Monday.

I understand the vast majority of users are very passionate about Saturn here. I have always thought Saturn made a great vehicle, but never sought out a Saturn to buy because it was a Saturn. Therefore my Saturn knowledge is limited to my basic car knowledge.

I know that this is most likely a long shot, but does anyone here have definitive confirmation on the tire sizes for both the SC1 and SC2 for 1994?

Is there a reason a SC2 may have 14" wheels?

I don't have a reason to doubt the DMV registration, but again, I was pretty sure I remembered an SC1 with 14" wheels. Is there a way just by looking at the car, is there a way to determine if it is an SC1 or SC2?

I want to thank the community in advance for any help provided.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmcguire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmcguire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1994 Saturn SC1 vs SC2: Tires

An 1994 SC2 would have pop up headlights and a DOHC engine where as the 1994 SC1 front end would look like the sedans front end and would have an SOHC engine. See the body style difference below...

SC2 vs SC1

The tire sizes quoted by Tire Rack are correct. It is possible that the previous owner downgraded to 14's and that would mean you'd have steel wheels with hub caps. All Saturn alloy rims are 15".

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 07-10-2015 at 02:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
jmcguire

Thank you @trottida

The Saturn is definitely a SC2. The headlights gave it away. (The motors are unplugged and the lights are in permanent up position).

The SC2 wheels look more familar, but I've second guessed myself so many times today already, I'm not sure. I asked my girlfriend and she said the SC2 wheels look more familiar as well. (I'm not sure why I thought it was an SC1 with 14" wheels...)

I had already written down the prices for the small local shops on the 14"s and they were rated very similarly (with a couple exceptions), but range from $65 to $82.50 each compared to what WalMart had for around $50. I don't expect the 15" to be much different. On the chance they do though, most places around here tend to keep more 15" and 16" in stock, so I can check in the morning.

If nothing else, though the tires I was looking at from WalMart have a similarly priced tire (seem to actually be the same brand/model) in the 15" size.
Douglas Xtra Trac II Tire 185/70R14 88S at WalMart - $43.50
Douglas Xtra Trac II Tire 195/60R15 88T at WalMart - $49.50

They tend to do perform well in this area, and we are on a budget at the moment.

---

Thank you again for your help @trottida

I know I seem to have rambled the majority of my post and be all over the place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jmcguire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

pretty hard to beat tires from walmart for general driving purposes at their prices. I've bought tires from canadian tire (only if on sale!) before as well, and haven't had problems with any of the stores brands, though canadian tire tech did install one tire with a weight under the bead, leading to a slow leak, leading to an irritating confrontation with a manager, leading to a refund for my tire repair at Kal-Tire

Only reason to buy any brand name specific tires would be for performance or something, in my opinion. It's a saturn, feed it the cheap stuff it wants...

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

I would stay away from the Douglas tires.

Really poor reviews, and lots of problems.

The General RT43 has gotten good reviews.

It comes in "T", "H" and "V" rated.

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

To be honest with you.... (Does the car still have tires on it?) Go out and look at the last number of the tires on the car..... That will give you exactly what you have on the car what trottida said is correct, but you never know what has been swapped or not. So that would be the best way to say what exactly is on your car

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 PM   #7
jmcguire

Got to the house a couple hours ago.
Tires were 195/60R15 (the original equipment size for a SC2).

Luckily this tire size is in stock pretty much everywhere, so I should be able to get some tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!