SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Replacing CD/Radio

I'd like to replace my broken CD and radio unit (the radio works fine),
with something comparable and easy to install. Some of these posts have suggested Crutchfield Electronics as one good place to try.

Is this an item where i should condsider the JY or get something new??

If i did get a new one, any suggestions on brand and model for something at least as good as stock or better??

Circuits are my weakness but i can handle simple wiring.

I have a 2000 SL2. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scalemechanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scalemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Replacing CD/Radio

Order a wiring harness and you just match up the wire colors to the cd player of your choice and it plugs into your factory wiring plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Replacing CD/Radio

As the previous poster said, if you order from Crutchfield they can also supply a wiring adapter that is pretty much plug-and-play and can also supply a mounting adapter that makes the job simple. Even many WalMart stores carry the adapters now. So do Autozones and others (at least around here).

I have a "mech-less" deck in my SC2 that uses SD and USB media only. At first it is a little weird not having a CD mechanism, but it grows on you really quickly. No skips, no handling disks, no worries, great sound. I have about 200 songs on an SD card and about 1,000 on a USB thumb drive that drive around with me all the time.

However if you really want good sound, you really should replace your speakers and the wires to them. It's not that difficult to do.

But at the minimum, yes it is pretty easy to replace the OEM deck with an aftermarket one these days.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
code1bob
code1bob is a jewel in the roughcode1bob is a jewel in the roughcode1bob is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Crutchfield.com sends you the wire harness adapter, the fascia and full instructions for the install. I think that even a caveman could do it. The only problem I had was the ground wire. Could not use the one in the harness, had to go directly to the chassis.

1997 SL1
5 speed manual
348,001 mi.+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to code1bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help code1bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
code1bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
guy_450
guy_450 will become famous soon enough

2000 SW2
2001 SW2

Has anyone tried the Parrot Asteroid digital / bluetooth / internet radio as direct OEM replacement in his/her "S" car yet?

2000 SW2 5MT silver
2001 SW2 4AT silver (garaged)
2012 VOLT Electric instant torque & regen braking go so well together !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guy_450's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guy_450 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guy_450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post
Is this an item where i should condsider the JY or get something new??
It depends on what features you want and/or how much you are willing to spend. If you want features like USB input, aux input, Bluetooth or are planning other upgrades like adding an external amp and sub, you can get a good feature-packed radio that would fit the bill for under $150. Radios with built-in Bluetooth will likely cost a little more. If you order the radio from Crutchfield, the wire harness and mounting kit are free if the radio costs more than $129. I have used Crutchfield for purchases in the past, and I would recommend them.

Currently, I like the JVC radios the most. Ten years ago, I would have said I like Alpine or Pioneer radios the most. IMO none of the popular brands are really bad, but the lower-end JVC radios sound very noticeably better compared to similarly-priced Pioneer or Sony models IMO.

Here are a few suggestions for aftermarket radios that do not have Bluetooth:

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X595
This one has alot of features, and the 3-line display is normally unheard of at this price. I know that manufacturers probably do it because it makes controlling an iPod easier, but I am not a fan of the volume knob that also acts as a joytick.

JVC Arsenal KD-A725
I also really like this one.

Of course, if you are content with the factory CD player, these can be bought off ebay for under $30 and it would be a plug & play swap.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

THANKS for all your good ideas and suggestions. Give me some time to work thru them and i'll let you know what i'm going to do.

In the meantime if anyone else has anything to add i'd appreciate hearing from them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scalemechanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scalemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
rowdydog
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post
THANKS for all your good ideas and suggestions. Give me some time to work thru them and i'll let you know what i'm going to do.

In the meantime if anyone else has anything to add i'd appreciate hearing from them.
Well I got lucky at a pull a part yard, they had just put a 95 sl 2 out had a Jensen am/fm cd had the remote, face plate box, dash adapter and harnness $20, plug and play, heck the dash adapter is $20 not that hard to do,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

As luck would have it, I have done two of these in the last 30 days.

We got an aftermarket sony sytem for my son's 99 SL1. Wife got from some online outfit. They supplied the adapter face plate and the harness. I had to solder up all the color coded connections, but that was the hardest part. I suppose I could have used crimp connectors, but I liked the soldering practice. Also use heat shrink to protect all the connections.

My daugters '02 SL1 had a bad factory cd player and a couple of the radio buttons were not working. We found a really nice factory unit at the locatl U-Pull for $10. It is working great now.

I tend to prefer factory sound systems, but my son wanted a nicer sony system in his car. FWIW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Replacing CD/Radio

Quote:
The only problem I had was the ground wire. Could not use the one in the harness, had to go directly to the chassis.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. Ground the new radio chassis directly to the car frame (even the metal support underneath the plastic trim will do). Otherwise you will have a lot of weird issues like popping noises, dropouts and more. Use 10 or 12 gauge wire, not because there is all that much current going through it, but because you want a very low resistance ground.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
jsevinsk
Advanced Member
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

When I was recently looking, I decided that I was mainly going to play music from USB flash drives. I loaded up a memory stick with music and inserted it into MANY different car stereos at Best Buy and other stores. I found that most brands were awful at the way they let you search for music, but the Sony units were really good, and the Kenwood units were my second favorite.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsevinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
I found that most brands were awful at the way they let you search for music, but the Sony units were really good, and the Kenwood units were my second favorite.
I have heard that they were pretty good.

Mine is a Blaupunkt and is so-so in that regard. It goes strictly in the order that the files are on the media, within each directory. Also, when you get more than about 40-50 songs in a directory it takes excessively long to scan when it first powers up. Once scanned though, it changes directories and songs rapidly.

So the trick I have found is to group things by year or genre or whatever, always having less than 50 per directory, and then simply have a whole bunch of directories off the root of the drive. Then it works pretty fast and seems quite happy. It isn't happy with SDHC cards (above 2gb), but the USB can handle almost anything I care to plug into it (so long as it is organized as described above).

One of these days I am going to format a 250gb external drive I have, dump about 20,000 songs on it and rig up a switched secondary power source for it from the amplifier enable output on the deck (the USB port cannot power a real HDD itself). Could be interesting.

The Blaupunkt sounds very good with 128k and 320k ("lossless") bps MP3s, so I try to rip CDs at the higher rates whenever possible.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
One of these days I am going to format a 250gb external drive I have, dump about 20,000 songs on it
You think that will be enough for a standard road trip?

What type of music do you listen to? My collection only has about 250 songs so far. Can I 'borrow' some from you?

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
You think that will be enough for a standard road trip?

What type of music do you listen to? My collection only has about 250 songs so far. Can I 'borrow' some from you?
Nope thats not enough lol....

I'm at 6k mostly Country Music need to work on it need up to 50k

also DIY a laptop hard drive (powered by USB) will not work on head-units?

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
I'm at 6k mostly Country Music
Shoot. You can't help me. I'm into classic rock from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
also DIY a laptop hard drive (powered by USB) will not work on head-units?
Dunno. After 9 years with the stock radio, I finally switched it out with one that had a USB port so I could connect my ipod to it. I'm being dragged into the new tech age!

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #16
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

Where shall I start?

I spend at least two hours a day in my car, unfortunately. So I can go through 30-40 songs in a commute cycle quite easily, especially if I get bored with a song and skip it. It adds up.

I have at least 350 LPs, around 250 CDs and should I ever run out of listening material our son has well over 2,200 LPs (by actual count) and who knows how many CDs of his own. So between us we could rip 30,000 MP3s very easily, minus overlaps of course. A frightening thought, actually.

Sorry, I can't share them for obvious legal reasons. Between he and I we have either purchased or inherited them over the course of the last 20 years or more. We even have a couple of records from the 1930's (78's of course). A lot of them came from local used record stores going out of business ($0.50-$2 per album typically, sometimes $5 for a box full).

Depending upon my mood I'll listen to anything from 1950's rock and roll, Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf, James Taylor and Gordon Lightfoot through Lady Gaga, Cee Lo Greene, Sugarland, Kenny Chesney, Garth Brooks, Dwight Yoakam, Toby Keith, etc, etc. I don't like all of any single genre, but something out of almost every genre.

The reason that a USB hard disk drive will not work on a typical head unit such as my Blaupunkt is that the USB port typically only supplies up to around 500ma of power. That's plenty for a normal flash drive, but not enough for most hard drives to spin up and move the heads around. This is also true for a lot of computers, and especially laptops. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't place a bet on it.

So for that reason alone most USB drive cases will have a separate power jack. Or, some will have dual USB connections so that it can draw power from more than one USB port. I have examples of both styles laying around, ranging from 10-250gb and have a 1tb USB backup drive that definitely requires external power.

If you take the 12 volt output from the head that controls the sub-amps and use it to run the drive (through a regulator), it should be enough. If not, a small relay or switching transistor should do the job to switch in battery power. Most of the external drives need about an amp to work.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

A ssd drive should work though and if you dig around you can find a box for an outboard drive that connects to +12v for the drive motor and the signal is on USB. The case contains the regulators and filters fro the 12v power. The latest USB 3.0/2.0 External SSD drives should work.

I have installed a SSD in a single computer and I will never buy another mechanical drive for the main drives in a computer. And my idea of mechanical drives is the Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K rpm drive. These mechanical drives will be relegated to backup service. These are mounted in the outboard cases with USB connection and a wall wart power supply that is conditioned in the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Shoot. You can't help me. I'm into classic rock from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.
lol COUNTRY BORN AND BREAD once i get my Vue its getting at least 1 or 2 decals with Jhon Deere.... GET R' DONE or something of that sort on it lol

Quote:
Dunno. After 9 years with the stock radio, I finally switched it out with one that had a USB port so I could connect my ipod to it. I'm being dragged into the new tech age!
lol orrrrrr just put an eight track player in there take you back some..... with me being 20 all I remember growing up was cassettes and then CDs then MP3... where i'm like this is amazing (now starting looking at LPs )

Quote:
Where shall I start?

I spend at least two hours a day in my car, unfortunately. So I can go through 30-40 songs in a commute cycle quite easily, especially if I get bored with a song and skip it. It adds up.
Same here but 2 days a week I'm commuting to a college 2 hrs round trip

Quote:
I have at least 350 LPs, around 250 CDs and should I ever run out of listening material our son has well over 2,200 LPs (by actual count) and who knows how many CDs of his own. So between us we could rip 30,000 MP3s very easily, minus overlaps of course. A frightening thought, actually.

Sorry, I can't share them for obvious legal reasons. Between he and I we have either purchased or inherited them over the course of the last 20 years or more. We even have a couple of records from the 1930's (78's of course). A lot of them came from local used record stores going out of business ($0.50-$2 per album typically, sometimes $5 for a box full).

Depending upon my mood I'll listen to anything from 1950's rock and roll, Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf, James Taylor and Gordon Lightfoot through Lady Gaga, Cee Lo Greene, Sugarland, Kenny Chesney, Garth Brooks, Dwight Yoakam, Toby Keith, etc, etc. I don't like all of any single genre, but something out of almost every genre.
Yeah about that im country/ country folk, classic rock, christian, and U2/The killers

Quote:
The reason that a USB hard disk drive will not work on a typical head unit such as my Blaupunkt is that the USB port typically only supplies up to around 500ma of power. That's plenty for a normal flash drive, but not enough for most hard drives to spin up and move the heads around. This is also true for a lot of computers, and especially laptops. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't place a bet on it.

So for that reason alone most USB drive cases will have a separate power jack. Or, some will have dual USB connections so that it can draw power from more than one USB port. I have examples of both styles laying around, ranging from 10-250gb and have a 1tb USB backup drive that definitely requires external power.

If you take the 12 volt output from the head that controls the sub-amps and use it to run the drive (through a regulator), it should be enough. If not, a small relay or switching transistor should do the job to switch in battery power. Most of the external drives need about an amp to work.
What i'm looking at once I get the Vue is a Pioneer Nav/DVD (no dont have it on my phone) to use on long trips/ not worry about it... type in destination and go.... rear mounted USB... run line to glove box.....

with you saying that you dont think they can handle like the 60 GB external (2.5 IDE harddrive in enclosure powered by USB only) might figure out how to wire up couple of IDE hard drives i have laying around (have about 20ish from 512 MB- 120 GB from scrapping computers) (of corse those are the FREE ones lol) now if i really wanted to have my (2) 640 GB WD, (1) 1 TB WD, or the (1) samsung spin-point inside my Roswell enclosure lol

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #19
holydiver
holydiver is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
I have a "mech-less" deck in my SC2 that uses SD and USB media only. At first it is a little weird not having a CD mechanism, but it grows on you really quickly. No skips, no handling disks, no worries, great sound. I have about 200 songs on an SD card and about 1,000 on a USB thumb drive that drive around with me all the time.

However if you really want good sound, you really should replace your speakers and the wires to them. It's not that difficult to do.

Actually, just short of turning right around and putting a record player in, the best sound would be an uncompressed CD. MP3s on a flash drive are useless when you have a great speaker system. Sure, plugging in an iPod solves plenty of woes with changing CDs on a road trip, but the effort of bringing a CD into the car and playing it (and as bumpy as my car rides are, I rarely experience a skip) is much more worthwhile for driving around town.

'96 Saturn SL2 5-Speed, 141k, Rebuilt Engine (My Toy)
'96 Saturn SL2 Automatic, 187k (The Project)
'02 Saturn L200 2.2L Auto, 119k (Dad's Car)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to holydiver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help holydiver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
holydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #20
99GreenySC2
99GreenySC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

i can say externals work for this, although slow to load sometimes depending on size and all thats on there, but it will work, best is the ones powered by the USB connection and not the AC adapter...

dont have it on my car, its in my friends Lancer

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99GreenySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99GreenySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99GreenySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote