SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default New tire suggestions and window hard to crank down

My Satty is still chugging along after around 250K. I love this car and it's time for some new meats all the way around. I currently have Pirelli P3000 on her.

I also have a bear of a time rolling down the drivers window. Have to help it along by pushing down on it. Rolls up nice and easy.

Any wisdom on tires/possible alternate sizes and window problem inputs much appreciated.

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
dude33333
dude33333 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: New tire suggestions and window hard to crank down

pirellis are generally pretty good tires, as for the manual windows.... silicone grease maybe?... other people will know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dude33333's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dude33333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dude33333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

If yours is the same as mine it was mostly an issue when the window was completely closed. Once it got past 1/3 it slid just fine. Silicone is what I used on mine. It takes several applications to the rubber seal. Soak a clean rag really well and rub like heck till the black "dirt" stops coming off the seal. Really made a world of difference.

I suspect this is why so many power windows fail as well?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Thanks guys

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Currently have the Yokohama AVID TRZs that were supposed to be 70k rated, but look like they'll be down to the wear bars by 45-50k or so

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I think 45-50K out of a tire is awesome no matter what the cost. Thanks
Bill

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Ended up with Toyo Extensa all around. Great tires and I run on Suburban as well.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I often notice other Saturn owners that run Suburbans like yourself and myself. We should start a thread and post up our Sattys and Burbs.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

My 04 Burb ha that awesome head fissure issue. Needed to replace a while back but divorce got in the way. She has the Burban.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
whoodiestyle
whoodiestyle is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo Baggins View Post
I think 45-50K out of a tire is awesome no matter what the cost. Thanks
Bill
Try 90k with Michelin defenders. Im at 60k on mine and there still plenty tread left but I just bought another set of 4. My old ones are starting to get dry rot I had them a couple of years now. On amazon for 185 65 14 there only $90 a piece which is really cheap.

95 sl1 @ 230k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whoodiestyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whoodiestyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whoodiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

when i had the same problem rolling my windows down, i took the door apart and found that there's a little plastic slide that runs along a track. the slide was cracked in half and i went to the dealer to get more. problem was, the slide snaps onto the window arm and was very difficult to snap into place without breaking the new ones. i used a little grease to help them on, but i guess you could also just superglue the old one back together around the pin on the window arm. taking the door apart isn't very difficult if you take your time...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote