SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
MagickShadow
MagickShadow is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Dizzy Trunk Leaking

I have a lot of problems and am just looking for advice. Sorry for the long list of stuff. P.S It's a 5 Speed

I have been following this website for a while now and it has helped quite the bit, Now I'm just dealing with issues and decided to make an account.
Ever since day one of Owning My SC2 I have had issue after issue. Two problem I have not been able to figure out is My trunk always has puddles on the sides after it rains or snows (when it melts)
I have replaced the weather stripping multiple times and IT STILL HAPPENS.
This year I have to really fix my trunk to pass inspection because it has started to rust where the spare tire is
Also an annoying problem is the gas millage I have done a complete tune up and everything like that and I still have to fill it up every two days and I hardly go anywhere. And when I do fill it up I have to mess the the gas pump handle (no matter where I go) to get the gas to go in and I can't do the flip the thing and let it fill up because it immediately just stops.
My shifting cable's always break I have only had this car for two years and they have broken 5 times. I have even replaced both cables and the bracket that holds the cable's to the sifter at the same times and it still happens. So really have no idea how to fix.
My horn so far how needed replacing every inspection. It just keeps blowing
Also the sunroof has never worked. When I press the button the motor makes a grinding sound but nothing happens.
I also have problem with trying to replace the radio. I have bought many different adapters and stereos and none of them seem to work. Do I have to get the security bypass thing in order for it to work??

I don't know what the hell is happening with this car.
I think it's just possessed

with all the problems with this car I am thinking of just getting ride of it.
Again sorry for the long list of things. Just need advice on what to do. I work on cars all the time and owned a 96 SC2 and never had this many issues with it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MagickShadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MagickShadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MagickShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
Default Re: Trunk Leaking

you have to take off the rear quarter panels and put caulk on those welded metal seams on the body. This is how i fixed my trunk leak. There are some old threads which pictures here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

The only way to "fix" the sunroof is to completely replace it with a new motor and door from sunroof doctor. Best just to unplug it and never use it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
lil_buddy
Advanced Member

1997 SC1

I never had any of the other problems you have, so I can't help you with those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Dennyj1992
Dennyj1992 has a spectacular aura aboutDennyj1992 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

I also had a strange trunk leak for a while there as well, and all of a sudden, it just stopped? No more problems, and I hope it stays like that. I still have a few other things to be worried about with this car...

99 SL2, DOHC, 4 speed A/T. Wife's car. 114k.
02' SC2, DOHC, 5 speed M/T. Current DD. 191k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dennyj1992's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dennyj1992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dennyj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickShadow View Post
Also an annoying problem is the gas millage I have done a complete tune up and everything like that and I still have to fill it up every two days and I hardly go anywhere.
A good starting point is to know the actual mpg:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144714

Has the ECTS ever been inspected/replaced?

Keep in mind, if you "hardly go anywhere," this might mean you are making frequent short trips in city driving. You won't get the same MPG as someone who does hwy driving.

Quote:
And when I do fill it up I have to mess the the gas pump handle (no matter where I go) to get the gas to go in and I can't do the flip the thing and let it fill up because it immediately just stops.
Given this, plus your trunk leak - has the car ever been in an accident? I wonder if your filler tube is bent and that seam is cracked open.

Quote:
My shifting cable's always break I have only had this car for two years and they have broken 5 times. I have even replaced both cables and the bracket that holds the cable's to the sifter at the same times and it still happens. So really have no idea how to fix.
Does the break happen in the wire cable, or at the end loop that attaches to the shifter (inside the car, under the console)? Or does it break at the transmission end?

Quote:
My horn so far how needed replacing every inspection. It just keeps blowing
You mean the horn is constantly going off (blows, as in honking the horn), or the horn breaks (blows, as in "the fuse is blown")?

Quote:
I also have problem with trying to replace the radio. I have bought many different adapters and stereos and none of them seem to work.
Wondering if a previous owner mucked with the wiring, between the horn and the stereo. Never heard of anyone having problems. What exactly happens - no power?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 07-08-2015 at 01:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I'll vouch for the trunk leak. Mine was 16.5 years old when the trunk started leaking.

There is a multi-layered body connection on TOP of the rear end of the car. It is under the plastic fenders, near the bottom corners of the back window. (At least on my sedan). Factory caulk degrades and also traps water in the seams. Will be evident once you remove the rear fenders* (not a hard job). Some wire brushing, stuffing Rust-Oleum or similar in the seams, and spraying the area with rubberized undercoating is the answer. Get rid of the factory caulk blobs though.

*involves removal of the bumper fascia too. Still not a hard job.

Don't know what year yours is. My horn kept blowing too. It was a bad relay unit. I think I bought one on-line. Some Sats have integral horn and relay. Some have horns separate. Not compatible.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #8
MLX10
MLX10 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

my trunk leaked too. I first caulked the inside of the trunk then coated it with sealing spray. no water is getting in my trunk anymore. I never thought of removing the panels ...maybe I should bc water might be getting trapped.

relay for the horn I believe. not expensive...where in pa are you im near the philly area ill buy it off ya lol

"There was a time when it used to mean just about everything.....just like now"

95, SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MLX10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MLX10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MLX10 is offline   Reply With Quote