SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #21
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default Re: SC1 Overheating unless moving

Thanks

Plugs, thermostat, o-ring, in the basket

Maybe new ECTS just for good measure

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Will not hurt, check your connector and wiring while changing it of not done previously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #23
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

$29 big ones they want for a new pigtail/connector! Gonna try the sensor and the rest first and check connector if temp still wonky.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Go to JY and clip off an IAT connector out on the front of the filter box, same connector. Yes, they are right expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #25
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I'll be darned. I remember replacing that sensor. Good looking out.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #26
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I also remember that this car will not run for beans if that IAT sensor is bogus. I was amazed at how shoddy it ran when it went bad.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #27
nick.evans
nick.evans has a spectacular aura aboutnick.evans has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Amazon will take almost as long so go with the best price.
Amazon will be here Wednesday, so for cost and shipping speed, that's the route I'll go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nick.evans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nick.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I'm going in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (140.7 KB, 11 views)

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #29
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Post thermostat and flush/fill thoughts. Old thermostat was the German probably OE. I could not tell whether it was open or close or normal. New one in and ran it up for a bit then drove around block and let idle for about 15 minutes or so. observations are that, for whatever reason, the car appears to idle smoother, the temperature made it up to just below half, and fan never kicked in. Typical behavior before would have had temp climbing beyond half and fan never coming on into a overheat condition. I did feel the top hose at radiator and it did eventually get hot but stayed cool until engine reached what i assume was rated stat temp.

Seems to be cooling better and I will attempt a fan cycle tomorrow. Wanna let cool and get new plugs in tonight.

One other observation is that o-ring appeared just thick enough to get a seal. Kinda leery about it at first but seems to be holding.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #30
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is how an o-ring is supposed to be sized for a rectangular groove. Fan will come on at about 5/8 or a small bit under. If the seat elastomer deforms much the temp indication will drop back to 3/8, some do and some do not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #31
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Perty ding dang jazzed!! Temp at half, ran until fan kicked off at temp in pic, and it cooled back to half just like supposed to. Obviously my stat has been bogus for years. What a nard I am.

I did notice my low coolant light does not illuminate at initial key turn with the rest. Might have to look into that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.3 KB, 9 views)

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #32
nick.evans

Replaced the Radiator Fan Motor today. I got the new radiator cap as well, but I'll hold off replacing that until I've had some time to see what the new fan motor does for the temperature.

Does the Radiator Fan play into the AC? I feel like the AC started blowing colder once the new motor was in, but it is possible it was just wishful thinking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #33
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Yes. Fan is part of AC operation as well. Heat transfer

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #34
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.evans View Post
Replaced the Radiator Fan Motor today. I got the new radiator cap as well, but I'll hold off replacing that until I've had some time to see what the new fan motor does for the temperature.

Does the Radiator Fan play into the AC? I feel like the AC started blowing colder once the new motor was in, but it is possible it was just wishful thinking.
if the a/c air warms up while the car sits in traffic & the engine overheats also, all points to a non operating radiator fan...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #35
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo Baggins View Post
Perty ding dang jazzed!! Temp at half, ran until fan kicked off at temp in pic, and it cooled back to half just like supposed to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.evans

Congratulations, guys, two success stories in one thread!
It's always great when you get the car running like it should.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #36
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.evans View Post
Replaced the Radiator Fan Motor today.....Does the Radiator Fan play into the AC? I feel like the AC started blowing colder once the new motor was in, but it is possible it was just wishful thinking.
Yes, your a/c is probably blowing cooler too, in addition to solving an overheating problem. Think about it; when a/c is used, the compressor is compressing refrigerant, generating heat going to the condenser coil in front of the radiator. Two hot radiators. When a/c runs, the pcm turns on the fan immediately to force air thru both radiators otherwise both suffer - less cooling from a/c and overheating radiator from hot air following from the condenser coil into the radiator. The fan runs to keep both cool in local traffic where it's needed most.

A tip from r12 service methods; when gauging r12 systems, it was recommended to either use a fan blowing into the front of the engine or hang a garden hose spraying a mist into the condenser coils. Older non EFI system cars didn't have electric fans so external fans were needed or a water spray to help cool off the condenser coils which lowered high operating pressures that allowed a parked car to cool off the interior better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #37
nick.evans

It's been a week since I put the new rad fan motor in, and though things are better, they have not been cured. Stuck in traffic for a while this afternoon, the temperature guage went into the red zone. I also am now getting the 'Service Engine Soon' light. I checked the OBDII codes and I'm not certain if any of these would have an impact but they read as:
  • P0113
  • P0133
  • P0301
  • P0401
  • P1134
  • P1133
  • P0507

It seems like lots of these relate to my O2 sensor. (I'm not trying to diagnose these here, just listing them in case any apply to the overheating issue). I'll try replacing the radiator cap next as that was an earlier recommendation, and I ordered one previously. Anyone have any other thoughts on the matter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #38
OldNuc

1998 SC2

• Intake air temp sensor circuit is open or sensor failed.
  • Cylinder #1 misfire, you have an intake leak in the vicinity of #1 intake runner. Might be an injector o-ring.
  • EGR intake or exhaust port is restricted, maybe.
Fix those things, pull PCM B fuse to clear codes and see what comes back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #39
nick.evans

I used the BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool to read the codes originally. At least one of them said online to try clearing it and see if it comes back as a troubleshooting step.

I used the Torque application that connects to the BAFX device, and cleared the codes. Thus far only the P0113 returned.
When your car gets an error, does that error stay until cleared? Basically I'm asking, could some of those codes have been really old and not really still a relevant problem?
After driving a little more I should be able to see if more return, but I was curious about that anyhow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #40
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes they could be old as they are in history until it is all reset. The 507 is a high idle and along with 301 indicative of the usual SOHC intake gasket leak so if your idle is not 800 rpm or so you may have a leak. The 113 is the IAT so figure out if it is wiring, connector, or sensor. Car is not going to run correctly with a broke IAT. The app you used is fine but any info other than a code NUMBER is generic and probably ultimately misleading.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!