SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
nick.evans
nick.evans has a spectacular aura aboutnick.evans has a spectacular aura about

Default SC1 Overheating unless moving

My 99' SC1, 181k miles, is having a really hard time now that summer temperatures are here.

If the car is idling, or stuck in slow traffic, the temperature gauge will climb steadily into the red zone. This is obviously exacerbated if running the AC (which just blows hot in this situation anyways).

If I'm moving though, the car is fine. Slower speeds like in the city (25mph) it still does just fine.

I have replaced the ECTS, and the thermostat. When I did the Thermostat, I replaced the coolant as well. The coolant that came out was a redish orange, not brown. I read that the original dexcool these came with were that color, so I think the color was ok?

I read in this thread that if it only overheats when idling, it's likely the fan? Is this accurate? If so, what specifically might be the issue? If there is something else worth looking at I'd love some suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nick.evans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nick.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: SC1 Overheating unless moving

Does the fan come on with the AC turned on? If not, it's toast. Have you checked your fuse?

Fan failure is pretty common. I've replaced several on each of my 1999s over the years. Not a difficult task.

Current
1999 SC2 - 418,000 miles
1999 SL2 - 196,000 miles

Previous
1996 SC2 and 1999 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
nick.evans

I just checked, and the fan next to the radiator does turn on when I switch on the AC. As far as the fan is concerned, is it either the fan runs and its ok, or it doesn't and is broke, or is there a middle ground of it runs but isn't efficient? Are there any other things I should consider?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your cooling fan system is either ON or OFF. When ON, it should blow with force. If it doesn't, replace it. Original cooling fan with 181k miles may be a worn out fan. This presumes the condenser coil doesn't have bent fins or debris blocking air flow. Blocking air flow thru the condenser coil blocks off air flow thru the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

+1 to the above. It really doesn't take a huge amount of air to start cooling the car if the system is working properly. If the fan is shot, it won't move enough air.

The fact that the car cools or otherwise stays within temp range even when moving fairly slow indicates the major problem being the fan most likely.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

You might want to check the return line that connects to the coolant reservoir from near the throttle body for flow, this eliminates air from the system. If you look inside the reservoir with the cap off you should see flow on the fender side returning and the small hose should be warm. These have been know to clog.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
nick.evans

It sounds like replacing the cooling fan may be a warranted task. I'm not totally clear on the part(s) I'll need though. Would this fan work, and do you think it's all I'd need for replacing the current fan?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.evans View Post
It sounds like replacing the cooling fan may be a warranted task. I'm not totally clear on the part(s) I'll need though. Would this fan work, and do you think it's all I'd need for replacing the current fan?
why do that? it's easier to just replace the motor.
richpin has videos on the procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
zwack
zwack is on a distinguished road

You mentioned the thermostat, but before you replace the fan check the valve in the coolant overflow bottle. I was having heat issues when I first bought my Saturn and that valve was missing. A replacement cap and the coolant system pressurizes, no heat problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zwack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zwack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Where does the temp gauge go? Is coolant bubbling out? Define over heating.

96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taatman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taatman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
nick.evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by taatman View Post
Where does the temp gauge go? Is coolant bubbling out? Define over heating.
The temperature gauge goes into the red zone (which I read that it should never go into if it's cooling correctly). As for coolant bubbling out, this typically happens when in stop & go traffic, so I am unable to see the engine/coolant reservoir. However, I'm not losing coolant, so I think it's safe to say it's not bubbling out. Another issue (I think it's a symptom of the same thing but correct if it's not), is that if the engine temperature is showing really hot (in the red, or just below), the AC will only blow hot air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwack View Post
You mentioned the thermostat, but before you replace the fan check the valve in the coolant overflow bottle. I was having heat issues when I first bought my Saturn and that valve was missing. A replacement cap and the coolant system pressurizes, no heat problem.
I'm not totally clear on what the overflow bottle is. Is it the tank that you pour the coolant into? You just replaced the cap for that? Considering I'm not losing coolant, maybe I'm not actually over heating, but rather the pressure's not right and not cycling the coolant effectively... that would make some sense maybe.

As for replacing the fan or fan's motor, directly next to the radiator (foils at the front of the engine) will turn on. I'm not clear if a motor can be bad, and just not run at full power, thus needing replaced. Or, if it turns on at all, does that mean the fan is fine?

I really appreciate everyone's help diagnosing this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The last time someone was afflicted with low speed overheating and the cooling system was found to be functioning as designed the fan motor was replaced to solve the issue. They do slowly degrade over time and quit moving adequate air across the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
nick.evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The last time someone was afflicted with low speed overheating and the cooling system was found to be functioning as designed the fan motor was replaced to solve the issue. They do slowly degrade over time and quit moving adequate air across the radiator.
I guess I'll go ahead and replace the fan motor with this one: http://goo.gl/4rvofN

And I'll go ahead and put a new radiator cap on since it sounds like that's another possibility, and it's cheap insurance: http://goo.gl/wpqkYY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyg View Post
You might want to check the return line that connects to the coolant reservoir from near the throttle body for flow, this eliminates air from the system. If you look inside the reservoir with the cap off you should see flow on the fender side returning and the small hose should be warm. These have been know to clog.
Just checked mine and it is flowing free. I had never bothered with it or even noticed it really.

Need to stay focused as I was gonna pull plugs and check them but now engine is up to operating temp. She's running a bit rough.

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.evans View Post
I guess I'll go ahead and replace the fan motor with this one: http://goo.gl/4rvofN

And I'll go ahead and put a new radiator cap on since it sounds like that's another possibility, and it's cheap insurance: http://goo.gl/wpqkYY
What does the local parts store have? Might be quicker and about the same cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #16
nick.evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
What does the local parts store have? Might be quicker and about the same cost.
Just checked with our local auto parts store. Said if they could get the parts, it'd be at least a week. Guess they don't get a lot of calls for Saturn parts these days :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Amazon will take almost as long so go with the best price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #18
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Advance has in stock here along with complete fan assemblies. Seems a common part to several vehicles.

Question on thermostat: Is the whole outlet/thermostat (MOTORAD) on RockAuto the good German stat? I hear and read negative opinion on the Stant unit.

Also seeing two different temps. 188 and 185

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I would shop around a bit. You need a real parts store as this motor is used in the following:
BUICK CENTURY (1983 - 2005)
BUICK ELECTRA (1985 - 1990)
BUICK LACROSSE 2005
BUICK LESABRE (1985 - 1999)
BUICK PARK AVENUE (1991 - 2005)
BUICK REATTA (1988 - 1991)
BUICK REGAL (1988 - 2004)
BUICK RIVIERA (1986 - 1999)
BUICK ROADMASTER (1994 - 1996)
BUICK SKYHAWK (1984 - 1987)
BUICK SKYLARK (1986 - 1994)
BUICK SOMERSET (1986 - 1987)
BUICK SOMERSET REGAL 1985
CADILLAC 60 SPECIAL 1993
CADILLAC ALLANTE (1987 - 1992)
CADILLAC BROUGHAM (1987 - 1992)
CADILLAC CIMARRON (1985 - 1988)
CADILLAC COMMERCIAL CHASSIS 1992
CADILLAC DEVILLE (1985 - 1995)
CADILLAC ELDORADO (1986 - 1993)
CADILLAC FLEETWOOD (1985 - 1996)
CADILLAC SEVILLE (1986 - 1993)
CHEVROLET BERETTA (1988 - 1996)
CHEVROLET CAMARO (1983 - 1996)
CHEVROLET CAPRICE (1994 - 1996)
CHEVROLET CAVALIER (1985 - 2005)
CHEVROLET CELEBRITY (1982 - 1990)
CHEVROLET CORSICA (1988 - 1996)
CHEVROLET CORVETTE (1984 - 1989)
CHEVROLET G10 (1990 - 1992)
CHEVROLET G20 (1990 - 1992)
CHEVROLET G30 (1990 - 1992)
CHEVROLET IMPALA (1994 - 1996)
CHEVROLET LUMINA (1990 - 2001)
CHEVROLET LUMINA APV (1990 - 1995)
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO (1995 - 1999)
CHEVROLET SPECTRUM (1987 - 1988)
CHEVROLET VENTURE (2001 - 2005)
GEO SPECTRUM 1989
GMC G1500 (1990 - 1992)
GMC G2500 (1990 - 1992)
GMC G3500 (1990 - 1992)
ISUZU I-MARK (1987 - 1989)
OLDSMOBILE 88 (1992 - 1999)
OLDSMOBILE 98 (1985 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE ACHIEVA (1992 - 1995)
OLDSMOBILE CALAIS (1985 - 1987)
OLDSMOBILE CUSTOM CRUISER (1986 - 1989)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS (1995 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS CALAIS (1988 - 1991)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS CIERA (1982 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS CRUISER (1987 - 1992)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME (1988 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE DELTA 88 (1985 - 1991)
OLDSMOBILE FIRENZA (1986 - 1987)
OLDSMOBILE LSS (1996 - 1999)
OLDSMOBILE REGENCY (1997 - 1998)
OLDSMOBILE SILHOUETTE (1990 - 2004)
OLDSMOBILE TORONADO (1986 - 1992)
PONTIAC 6000 (1982 - 1991)
PONTIAC BONNEVILLE (1987 - 1999)
PONTIAC FIERO (1985 - 1988)
PONTIAC FIREBIRD (1983 - 1996)
PONTIAC GRAND AM (1985 - 1995)
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX (1989 - 2003)
PONTIAC J2000 (1982 - 1984)
PONTIAC MONTANA (2001 - 2005)
PONTIAC SUNBIRD (1980 - 1994)
PONTIAC SUNFIRE (1995 - 2005)
PONTIAC TRANS SPORT (1990 - 1995)
SATURN SC COUPE (1991 - 2002)
SATURN SL SEDAN (1991 - 2002)
SATURN SW WAGON (1993 - 2001)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo Baggins View Post
Advance has in stock here along with complete fan assemblies. Seems a common part to several vehicles.

Question on thermostat: Is the whole outlet/thermostat (MOTORAD) on RockAuto the good German stat? I hear and read negative opinion on the Stant unit.

Also seeing two different temps. 188 and 185
NO! it is a non standard size part as are several others. The 14279 STANT is the OEM design part. A thermostat is not a precision instrument do not get all wound up in a couple of degrees. Autozone or Advance sells the STANT as the Tough One part 14279

REWARD EXCELLENCE!