SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Replaced Battery Cable, Car wont start

I just replaced the positive battery cable on my daughter's 2005 Saturn ion and now it won't start. It started before I changed it out. Lights come on when I turn the key, but the car does not turn over. The dash lights go dark when I turn the key, and then come back on when I stop turning it.

marmitage
03 vue Yellow Mom's,
03 Vue Silver mine,
02 Vue Red #2 Daughter's
98 SL2 project, 99 Sw2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmitage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmitage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Replaced Battery Cable, Car wont start

Double check your work, as well as removing ground cable clamp, cleaning and replace.

What's battery voltage?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2003 VUE 3.0L

I cleaned all of the connections and im unable to figure out the voltage because I don't have a volt meter. I did swap out the battery with a fully charged battery to see if the previous battery was dead. Same thing happened with the fully charged battery. The other battery was able to start a different car.

marmitage
03 vue Yellow Mom's,
03 Vue Silver mine,
02 Vue Red #2 Daughter's
98 SL2 project, 99 Sw2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmitage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmitage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmitage View Post
I just replaced the positive battery cable on my daughter's 2005 Saturn ion and now it won't start..... Lights come on when I turn the key, but the car does not turn over. The dash lights go dark when I turn the key, and then come back on when I stop turning it.
This suggests a power problem with either red/positive or black/ground battery cable connections. Examine your repairs again, carefully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ion starting circuit.jpg (138.1 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The complete positive cable from the battery in the trunk to the fuse block under the hood? Lot of work.

Check the tightness of the cables at the battery and the underhood fuse block.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote