SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
laughin
laughin is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3
Default Rebooting computer?

Hi! I have a 2005 Relay 3. We have had it since 2006, and it has served us so well over the years. Especially in snow!

We are at 148,000 miles. Recently when I go to take the keys out and then open the driver door, the radio stays on (and lights and other electronics). I open the passenger door and that usually will turn it off. Otherwise, I have to restart and turn it off again.

After taking it to my mechanic for other repairs, they said the van will have to be taken to a GM dealer who handles Saturns, the closest one being a place with a shady reputation. The mechanic said the computer may need to be rebooted.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is a GM dealer with Saturn abilities the only option?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laughin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laughin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laughin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rebooting computer?

You may be one of the very few here to have glowing remarks about Relay ownership. As you can see, there are very few Relay owners posting and most disappear without a follow up.

From your descriptions, problems may be with a worn out ignition switch, the one controlling power to electronics. With the way electronics is used in EFI systems, the best way to describe power flow would be associating EFI electronics with car radios; two power sources are used, main power electronically switched and always ON power for memory when the radio and ignition switch are off. Power still keeps radio memory alive for the presets but main power is switched electronically by the radio button or dial. EFI system use 'keep alive' memory in the ecm, pcm and bcm. Two power sources, one for memory and the other switched on/off thru the ignition switch. If the ignition switch is worn, this may keep power on. Replacement would be the best option

Rebooting is the same as removing all power, switched and memory, to force a computer to reset. Normally its done with no harm. Replacing ignition switches is the same as battery replacement since battery disconnects means all car computers reboot when power is removed/restored. Most times when members post about ignition switch issues, its the result of very old, well worn keys and replacing keys made by GM using the car's VIN is the best way to avoid making copies of used keys. You can try having GM make a new set of ignition keys first before considering replacing the ignition switch.

Another issue is about GM's Passlock/PassKey theft deterrent system using the ignition switch as part of its theft deterrent system. There may be a procedure needed to reset/relearn. I'm reviewing manuals to determine this.

Last edited by fdryer; 06-22-2015 at 12:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote