SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
dylank
dylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nice

2000 SL2
Default Leaking pipe fitting going into radiator

I have been attempting to search to find the name of what is leaking and have not had any luck. It is a small metal pipe that come up from what looks like the automatic transmission, has a 90 degree elbow and goes into the radiator. There is a rubber grommet looking ring around it that has worn away and is leaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlqekpKOXJQ

That link shows a video of EXACTLY what mine is doing. But no explaining of what that part name is. I would guess I could find how to do it if I knew the name. But I also know you guys here are AMAZING at assistance. So little help identifying the part and perhaps is it as easy to fix as I assume. I am planning to take out my air intake resonator box, push back the air intake filer box, remove the upper hose going from the radiator into the engine. Taking a wrench and loosening the bolt on the small metal pipe, pulling it out, putting on a new part and putting it back together.

P.S. I am guessing this pipe is the transmission water line but again I dont know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dylank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dylank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dylank is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2
Default Re: Leaking pipe fitting going into radiator

That's the transmission cooler that is inside the rad tank, easiest way to fix is replace the rad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 54packman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 54packman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
dylank
dylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nice

2000 SL2

What is the name of the rubber piece that is worn and leaking?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dylank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

The part that is leaking is called the RADIATOR. These cars all develop the same leak at the same place.
Solution: Buy a new radiator. Recommended Units for best long term results are the Silla, or the Delphi. Consider changing the Transmission cooler lines at the same time, because the lower one will likely surprise you by snapping off when you try to remove it. Buy the AC lines as opposed to the Dorman. They are headache free.
Easy re and re instructions courtesy of Richpin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nUyGjeLpVs

The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
dylank

2000 SL2

Ok well I desperately need the car tomorrow and no shops in town have a radiator that fits so I am gonna order one tonight. So I can drive it tomorrow do you think some JB Weld or some type of epoxy would work for a few days?

Below is a picture of the pipe and the gap that is leaking. Perhaps it will help people diagnose their issue in the future and maybe someone will have some advise on how to patch it for the next 3 days till my radiator gets here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
dylank

2000 SL2

I cleaned the grease and gunk off of the part and snapped a pic. I then used fast curing JB Weld to seal the hole. I assume the hole in the picture below was the cause of my issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may need to review your temporary repairs (if it isn't already leaking). The damaged radiator at the xmission fitting usually occurs at plastic side tank, cracking from heat, cold and vibration. Fasteners come in all shapes and sizes for specific purposes. The stamped steel nut has cutouts for threading onto a mating part. In this case, a brass fitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator damage.jpg (161.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg stamped sheet metal nuts.jpg (13.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg spring steel nut.jpg (99.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
dylank

2000 SL2

Thanks again fdryer. I tried to give you more rep but have to "sread it around first" Seems like so many people give short answers which dont help and you always seem to take the time to look up information. You have LITERALLY saved me hundreds of dollars if not more by the information you provided. I ended up just using JB weld and have driven 500 miles and it seems to be holding. Again this is just tempirary until I have time to change it. I have the radiator just not the time. Here is what I ended up doing. It isn't pretty but saved my *****.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
dylank

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You may need to review your temporary repairs (if it isn't already leaking). The damaged radiator at the xmission fitting usually occurs at plastic side tank, cracking from heat, cold and vibration. Fasteners come in all shapes and sizes for specific purposes. The stamped steel nut has cutouts for threading onto a mating part. In this case, a brass fitting.
You are correct it was on the plastic side tank that was leaking. I had to go in with a second round of JB weld and get the plastic seam around the plastic octagon edge. The JB Weld on the inside closest to the transmission connection was pointless. But oh well. I can still take off the connector when it comes time to replace the radiator. SO no hard no foul I guess

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Another tip about epoxy; epoxy, like any miracle glue has its strengths and weaknesses. When it comes time to break the bonds between epoxy and whatever it's used on, applying heat will soften epoxy allowing repairs. Heat above water boiling temperature and below boiling motor oil.....a few hundred degrees. If epoxy glued the xmission nut, you'll probably melt the plastic side tank trying to heat up the fittings but it won't matter since you have a replacement radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote