SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Splendid
Splendid is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default 1995 Saturn SL1 Engine Issues

Hi All, this is my first time on this site and I could use some help.
First thing, I am not able, nor do I believe I have the knowledge required to do the amount of work I believe this car needs. So I will be taking this to a shop and need to do this cheap.

The Car-
My 1995 Saturn SL1 (5 Speed, 1.9L, SOHC) has 215,000 Miles on the clock, and has been burning oil for some time, nearly 50K maybe even longer. This has progressively gotten worse to were I am adding 2-3 quarts every week or two. The engine Burned oil across all four cylinders (but after replacing the PCV, now has slowed to almost none), The 3rd cylinder however is, by a mile, the worst, causing melted spark plug cables and broken ceramic on the plugs themselves. The oil has caused spark plugs to stop working, and even explode going down the road. The car is also, INCREDIBLY
down on power, even for how little it started with.

I cannot buy a new car. I don't really want to either. I love this little car I wanna keep it running for as long as possible.

Question-
What should be my first step to repairing this engine? Like I stated before I cannot buy a new daily driver, but a donor car is not out of the question. In fact I would love to switch the car from SOHC to DOHC and I'm thinking now is a good time to. I just have no idea where to begin.

I have replaced: Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Cables, The PCV (which almost entirely stopped oil burning on cylinders 1, 2, and 4), Intake Hoses

Summery-
Should I rebuild this engine? Buy a new one? What about labor involved? And of course, Pricing?

Sorry for the long post, wanted to try and include everything.
If I missed anything, please feel free to ask.
Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Splendid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Splendid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Splendid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 1995 Saturn SL1 Engine Issues

Get a price from these guys for a good SOHC engine. http://www.saturnautosalvage.com/ call as they are e-mail agnostic. They will ship. Put your location in profile and you will get much better info.

It is cheaper and much easier to get the SOHC in good condition and sell it and then buy a good DOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote