SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
NickLandis
NickLandis is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench 2001 L200 Computer Issues...

Hi y'all, first time poster here. So something has been off with my car for the past couple of months. This has happened three times now the most recent one being tonight.

Some times when I drive my car the computer gets wackey. I can tell this as the fuel gauge and temp gauge suddenly (At some point in my drive It is okay at the beginning) the first time I noticed it the Windshield wipers were on delay and stopped going automatically (Manual still worked). So my car is still drivable like this but when I go to turn off the car the dash lights stay on. Also when I go to start the car the next time I can't depress the button on the drive shifter.

So whenever this happens all I have to do is disconnect the battery and reconnect it and it's all good to go. So it's not That much of an issue... Just annoying.

Car is 2001 Saturn L200 2.2 L Automatic

Thanks for any info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NickLandis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NickLandis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NickLandis is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L200 Computer Issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLandis View Post
Hi y'all, first time poster here. So something has been off with my car for the past couple of months. This has happened three times now the most recent one being tonight.

Some times when I drive my car the computer gets wackey. I can tell this as the fuel gauge and temp gauge suddenly (At some point in my drive It is okay at the beginning) the first time I noticed it the Windshield wipers were on delay and stopped going automatically (Manual still worked). So my car is still drivable like this but when I go to turn off the car the dash lights stay on. Also when I go to start the car the next time I can't depress the button on the drive shifter.

So whenever this happens all I have to do is disconnect the battery and reconnect it and it's all good to go. So it's not That much of an issue... Just annoying.

Car is 2001 Saturn L200 2.2 L Automatic

Thanks for any info
Welcome to SaturnFans! Yup, I would be annoyed with this problem as well. The thing is, it can get worse. There are two computers in the L Series cars with the ECOTEC 2.2L, the Powertrain Control Module and the Body Control Module. The PCM deals with the engine and transmission including ignition, emission, and transmission electronic controls and sends information through to the BCM when an error is detected illuminating the engine warning light. Basically, this is about powertrain performance.

The BCM controls or monitors all non-powertrain functions of the car as their wiring from the switches or gauges are directed to and out from the BCM. I'd suggest searching the threads for BCM problems. I think that you're experiencing intermittent failure of that component. The BCM is located on top of the glove box (out of view) and when it goes bad divergent, seemingly unrelated problems are exhibited: headlights, door locks, and especially instrument cluster irregularities have been described in these forums.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
NickLandis
NickLandis is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L200 Computer Issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Welcome to SaturnFans! Yup, I would be annoyed with this problem as well. The thing is, it can get worse. There are two computers in the L Series cars with the ECOTEC 2.2L, the Powertrain Control Module and the Body Control Module. The PCM deals with the engine and transmission including ignition, emission, and transmission electronic controls and sends information through to the BCM when an error is detected illuminating the engine warning light. Basically, this is about powertrain performance.

The BCM controls or monitors all non-powertrain functions of the car as their wiring from the switches or gauges are directed to and out from the BCM. I'd suggest searching the threads for BCM problems. I think that you're experiencing intermittent failure of that component. The BCM is located on top of the glove box (out of view) and when it goes bad divergent, seemingly unrelated problems are exhibited: headlights, door locks, and especially instrument cluster irregularities have been described in these forums.

Thank you for your time to reply. I will look into that. I appreciate your help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NickLandis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NickLandis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NickLandis is offline   Reply With Quote