SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
DubDoom
DubDoom is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench Saturn L200 2.2L - No power to fuel pump relay

Hello Saturnalians! I've been tasked by my father to see what I can do to get his sedan up and running again. I should say that I'm new to Saturns and that this is my first post/thread on this forum.

In short, the car just wouldn't start when he went to go home from work one day. It was obvious that the fuel pump wasn't priming, so we tried switching relays with the wiper relay. Nothing.

So maybe it was a bad fuel pump we thought. But further testing revealed that the fuel pump relay was not receiving power.

I had read that on some Saturns, the relay/fuse block pins could overheat and fail, so I removed the connector from the interior fuse block and cleaned the terminals. No change, and nothing that looked burned/charred.

At this point, I think it may be the CPS, PCM, or ignition cylinder. However, I haven't been able to find good information on troubleshooting this system. The Chilton manual for the L series is... well, very vague. Can anyone point me in a good direction here? What to check for next? I would hate to start throwing parts at it, and would prefer to troubleshoot properly.

Thanks!

(EDIT): I really should have mentioned that it does turn over, and all other systems seem to work fine (Although I haven't attempted the daunting task of checking for spark on this beast- sounds somewhat difficult). There is also no security light or CEL light on once the cluster does it's light check upon turning the key to run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DubDoom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DubDoom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DubDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn L200 2.2L - No power to fuel pump relay

Welcome to SaturnFans, DubDoom! The name sounds ominous, but I'll hope that I won't be attacked!!

Yes, aftermarket repair manuals cannot get into the "nitty-gritty" of these types of problems. If you want to get a hold of good, detailed information to assist you with this repair then the quickest source is a subscription from https://www.alldatadiy.com/. You'll be able to get information on diagnostic repair charts required for this type of problem. At some point you may need to perform a spark test, but for now...

Look at the UHFB (Under Hood Fuse Block) and check the following fuses: CNTL IGN 1 10 amp, EIS 10 amp, FUEL PUMP 15 amp, IGN 1/2 30 amp, and INJ 10 amp. The fuel pump fuse is placed ahead of the fuel pump relay at the LIPFB (Left Instrument Panel Fuse Block) in the wiring schematic. I'm using information from my 2000 L Series FSM.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
DubDoom

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for the reply!

No attacking here, just my forum name from the VW forum I'm on

I have checked all of those fuses and none are blown. I'll see if my father wants to subscribe to AllData, that might prove to be very useful.

This may be unrelated, but when checking the fuel pump connector under the car, I noticed that the plug on the far left when looking from the back of the car has nothing connected to it. I assume that this is either for a factory option never installed on this trim level, or that something has come disconnected?

I can't seem to add links until I hit 15 posts, so I can't show you what it looks like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DubDoom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Year, mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced? Updating your profile will reduce 'playing twenty questions'. All GM EFI systems operate their fuel pumps twice; a 2-second pumping cycle at ignition ON time (engine not started) where you may hear the faint him/hiss sound of the pump and when the engine's running. In either case, fuel pressure will be high enough (>30psi) to allow a simple fuel pump/pressure test; locating the fuel rail's test valve and depressing the valve stem. Cover the valve loosely with a rag and expect fuel to spray out. No fuel spray after turning on ignition would suggest; blown fuel pump fuse, faulty pump relay, wiring to pump, pump fault and pump wiring to ground. The fuel test valve is the easiest way to check for pump and pressure before advanced troubleshooting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
DubDoom

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sorry for the lack of info, it's a 2003 with 187,000 on the clock. I have not replaced any parts as I have not been able to deduce that anything is broken yet.

The fuel pump will not run, so testing for pressure seems a little pointless. It will not run when jumpering the relay pins either (30 to 87), and testing with a multimeter shows no voltage going to the relay.

I have already determined that the fuel pump relay, fuel pump fuse, and all of the fuses mentioned by pierrot are good. (Sorry, still waiting to get the identical thread in General removed) Those fuses were the following fuses: CNTL IGN 1 10 amp, EIS 10 amp, FUEL PUMP 15 amp, IGN 1/2 30 amp, and INJ 10 amp.

I removed the connector from the back of the interior fuse block, and all contacts looked good there. Nothing looks burned or charred.

I suppose I COULD jumper power to the fuel pump to see if it works, but at this point I am just trying to determine why the relay is not receiving power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As mentioned previously, the pcm applies control power to the fuel pump relay solenoid while fused power is switched to supply 12v power to the pump thru the relay contacts 30 and 87. Either terminal 85 or 86 is where the pump control signal is applied to the solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel control.jpg (91.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg fuel control 2.jpg (79.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 87A relay pin outs.jpg (27.5 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
DubDoom

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Okay, so I should be testing terminals 85/86 for 2 seconds of power from the pcm to ensure that the pcm isn't faulty, right?

Thank you so much for the diagrams!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Correct. You're looking for the pump command signal from the pcm (12v for 2 seconds at ignition ON time).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!