SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
ngrome
ngrome is on a distinguished road

Default May be saying goodbye soon...

Well gang, it's been a good run but I think I'll be trading in my 95 SL1 with only 138,000 miles on it. I picked it up in 2011 with only 108,000 miles on a trade for my pickup in FL. It survived a hurricane but the original owner wanted a pickup so I gave him my Nissan p/u for my SL1, which I gave to my son in 2011 for his last year in college. But he's moved on and has a Honda, I took the Saturn back and have used it to commute an hour one-way for two years until I got a closer job that's only 10 mins. away.

It seems like the closer commute led to its demise as the hour commute gave it a lot of time to warm up and run in two Chicago winters (I took it up north with me all the way from FL), but since the closer commute it seems to be running hot and idling low, I have an oil pan leak, I'm losing coolant slowly and the AC will need refiling again. I can do two to three of these repairs myself but a dealer is giving me a $1000 for a trade on a lower mileage vehicle I'm interested in for my daughter, who'll need something more reliable and lower mileage to drive for this summer and after she graduates next year.

So thank you guys for the support over the past four years to help a great car running and owning a piece of American history. I think if I could keep it longer and put about $2000 into the Saturn mechanically and add a front air dam enhancement and some really nice wheels, it would still be an awesome car because it's body is still pretty straight for a 20 year old car and it runs very straight and true, but it's heart under the hood is starting to give out unless I make the decision to put more money into it than it's worth, but I do need another vehicle. The almost five years of no car payments sure was nice. Too bad I can't sell it to one of you guys who probably would keep it in great shape but the dealer already told me they'll either put it in auction or scrap it.

95 SL1 - Just clocked over 100K miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ngrome's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ngrome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ngrome is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
satmark
satmark has a spectacular aura aboutsatmark has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL
Default Re: May be saying goodbye soon...

As sad as this is to read it's posts like this that make this forum so unique. You don't have to leave after you sell your Saturn. I've learned more about how to repair my Sienna van from this forum then the actual Sienna forum in terms of theory and best practices. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satmark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satmark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Dealer will probably give you $1500 discount with no trade in...

It will cost him $500 to dispose of your Saturn...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #4
ExNorth
ExNorth has a spectacular aura aboutExNorth has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
1999 SL2
Happy Re: May be saying goodbye soon...

Sorry to see you go. I hope you and your family enjoy the new car as much as the Saturn. The one thing I have learned from buying cars is that it's always cheaper to fix an old car you know well over making car payments.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Just remember, you could always find out about the dealer auctions and load it full of Saturnfans. That way someone here might get a great deal on it.

My '95 SL1 is probably soon to be in a similar boat. I'm keeping it primarily for my daughter to use as a starter car, and for her to learn how to drive a stick. After that, chances are that we'll swap things up and there is a good chance the Saturn will go. If it was a twin cammer with more options on it, I might keep it and just throw some money into maintenance, but I just can't see putting much money into a fairly bare bones SL1.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
ngrome
ngrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Just remember, you could always find out about the dealer auctions and load it full of Saturnfans. That way someone here might get a great deal on it.

My '95 SL1 is probably soon to be in a similar boat. I'm keeping it primarily for my daughter to use as a starter car, and for her to learn how to drive a stick. After that, chances are that we'll swap things up and there is a good chance the Saturn will go. If it was a twin cammer with more options on it, I might keep it and just throw some money into maintenance, but I just can't see putting much money into a fairly bare bones SL1.
Well, I still got my 95 SL1, lol. The vehicle I'm trading it in for is not ready yet, getting power steering leak fixed and new water pump, as I pointed it out when I inspected it. I can get the 4-5 problems on my Saturn fixed but it's not worth the Saturn's value unless I just choose to keep it for myself for the long term, but like you, my daughter needs a car and I'm willing to take a gamble on a lower mileage import, a Suzuki Grand Vitara with 67K miles to be exact, to be repaired out of a sale than getting the Saturn all fixed up. The first and current Suzuki we have has 240,000 miles on it, so based on the history we have with our first Suzuki, we're hoping to get similar mileage out of the one I'm trading my Saturn for. But the longer it's taking them to deliver the car, I may be tempted to look elsewhere, as we did all the paperwork but haven't traded cars and I haven't issued them the check yet.

95 SL1 - Just clocked over 100K miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ngrome's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ngrome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ngrome is offline   Reply With Quote