SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
trainer
trainer is on a distinguished road

Default sc heater blower only one speed

Have 95 SC2 today heater blower stopped working EXCEPT on third speed.Highest speed is out as are lowest 2.I thought highest speed bypasses the heater resistors so is this problem a bad switch?if hvac relay was bad wouldn't the third speed also be out along with allother speeds? have a disability so tearing down things is more difficult than when I was younger and more able!blower works fine on third(next to full speed switch setting).If switch is is bad is it repairable item or should I get replacement at Autozone>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trainer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trainer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
trainer

Default Re: sc heater blower only one speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post
Have 95 SC2 today heater blower stopped working EXCEPT on third speed.Highest speed is out as are lowest 2.I thought highest speed bypasses the heater resistors so is this problem a bad switch?if hvac relay was bad wouldn't the third speed also be out along with allother speeds? have a disability so tearing down things is more difficult than when I was younger and more able!blower works fine on third(next to full speed switch setting).If switch is is bad is it repairable item or should I get replacement at Autozone>
actually I was wrong ,only blower speed that's out is highest,lower ones ok, I switched relay under hood and no better.Des this mean switch is bad ib high position or is there some other relay involved in highest speed blower setting.

I can also use a sc blower circuit diagram ,thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trainer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your last description changes the problem from a mystery to something more manageable. Losing only high speed would imply the wire or connector supplying 12 volts for full power. All other speeds go thru a resistor card when selecting lower blower settings. Crawling under the passenger side to inspect the wiring to the blower may reveal a cooked wire or burned connector hiding a damaged set of terminals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You will not find this by crawling under the dash. You will need to check for voltage at several points inside of the car. Se this post: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205391

Post #4 has a drawing that should work for you. The places to check are the Pin F-9 and B-9 on the black connector on the back of the inside fuse box and at the switch input terminals pin C. The F row is closest to the front of the car and the top pin number is 12. The center console has to be partially disassembled to get to the C pin on the fan switch assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Your last description changes the problem from a mystery to something more manageable. Losing only high speed would imply the wire or connector supplying 12 volts for full power. All other speeds go thru a resistor card when selecting lower blower settings. Crawling under the passenger side to inspect the wiring to the blower may reveal a cooked wire or burned connector hiding a damaged set of terminals.

Thanks for above info.I note the diagram in post4 shows direct line from blower speed switch high position to the blower motor and does not show a hvac relay controlling power to blower at high speed. However my 95 SC2 has a HVAC blower relay in the IP junction box so I wonder if thatrelay is maybe not switching voltage to blower motor when high is selected. I will try and find another relay to substitute for test.bad relay would be easy replacement.I am not really able to dissect the instrument panel or crawl around under car like I used to be able to do and enjoyed!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
trainer

I see theres a hvac blower relay in my 95 sc2IP junction box and think it may control power to blower motor only when highest speed is selected unlike diagram in post 4 that shows no relay in this line.I will try replacing relay with substitute to see if helps..Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is the high speed relay. Pull ot out and test for continuity between 85 and 86 pins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

trainer, the most likely problem with loss of high speed; cooked wire feeding power to the blower or burned terminals connecting power to the blower. Unfortunately, its all under the passenger side where the blower resides. With all other speeds available and no one to help you find this problem, is it absolutely needed to have high speed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post
I see theres a hvac blower relay in my 95 sc2IP junction box and think it may control power to blower motor only when highest speed is selected unlike diagram in post 4 that shows no relay in this line.I will try replacing relay with substitute to see if helps..Thanks
Do you have a voltmeter?

If you can use a meter I can probably find a 95 SC-2 drawing which is pretty much unique.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The blower switch and relay are what is in your car. The problem is that the pin numbers may be incorrect even though the wiring is correct so testing has to be done from physically identifiable points such as a relay socket or blower switch connector pins. The drawings fit together and you are actually only interested in the right hand section of the 2nd sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-2015-04-13_21-14.jpg (74.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-2015-04-13_21-15.jpg (81.0 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That is the high speed relay. Pull ot out and test for continuity between 85 and 86 pins.
Advice appreciated,HVAc blower relay coil was intact (pins 85/86), however the contacts that switch power to blower when high speed is selected were burned when I pried open the case.Replacement relay from autozone now is working well.next problem is no cold air when A/C is switched on, gradually lost cooling last summer so suspect Freon is low from some leak.I note A/C compressor clutch does not engage and have heard that if Freon is too low the clutch is designed to not engage, do you know if this is true?.As system is95 not surprised have problem but not sure if this will be fixable at reasonable cost.Need to know if leak is real slow is it OK to just add some Freon each year, or if its fast and leak is from a hose where can I get replacements at reasonable cost?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The clutch will not engage if pressure is low. If system is still pressurized you can get away with topping it off. Replace both of the test port caps and get the ones with o-rings in them. Having the system periodically topped off gets expensive though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you want to find the leak, buy an inexpensive uv blacklight to make dye glow in a dark garage (or night time inspection). All Saturns came with dye at factory assembly when r134a replaced r12.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!