SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
nick.evans
nick.evans has a spectacular aura aboutnick.evans has a spectacular aura about

Question ECTS Replacement Part Question

My 99' SC1 has been idling really hot in traffic lately, and after digging around online one of the recommendations was to replace the ECTS. It sounds like it is typically an inexpensive highly recommended 'repair' anyways, so I thought I'd try it out. I reviewed the two how-to guides in the How-To Library (1, 2)
as well as watched a video on the procedure. Regarding the actual task, I feel ok. What I'm wondering is whether I will have all the parts I need.

I found what appears to be the connector replacement here. But it only looks like a connector. Would I still need a new sensor itself? The bit I read made it sound like the connector would fail/corrode and that was what needed replaced most often, but should I be looking to replace the piece that actually threads in with the 13mm socket, or is just the connector sufficient?

I appreciate everyones assistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nick.evans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nick.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #2
cjhaddox
cjhaddox is on a distinguished road

Default Re: ECTS Replacement Part Question

I ordered mine online off of ebay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhaddox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhaddox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: ECTS Replacement Part Question

The stock resin tipped ECTS cracks, fails and allows coolant to seep through it which then corrodes and destroys the connector. The replacement brass one can still fail but as far as I know it doesn't crack open to also kill the connector.

If your ECTS has cracked replace both the ECTS and the connector; otherwise just the ECTS unless symptoms continue.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote