SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
bjak
bjak is on a distinguished road

Default 04 Doors randomly locking/unlocking, alarm going off while driving, horn beeping...

So for the last few weeks the locks on my 04 Saturn Ion have been going BERZERK while I drive. It's like every time I get in the car, the locks decide to start locking and unlocking at rapid fire. Accelerating and decelerating seem to make it worse.

After particularly bad spells of the locks going crazy, I hear a slight ticking noise (similar to the sound of the turning signal) from near the steering column, followed by the car alarm going off (often while I'm driving). The alarm will stop after it completes its "cycle", but then will start up again when I start the car. The only way to get it to stop is to keep driving with the alarm going.

I've checked the door jamb switches and they are all in working order. I replaced the driver side front switch to be safe.

Some possibly pertinent info:
- There is a non-functional after market automatic starter installed
- Ignition switch was recently replaced after GM recall
- Roads in my area are salted in the winter
- No leaks that I can see
- Battery and alternator are both new (~2 years)

Help would be appreciated! My mechanic can't seem to offer me any explanation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bjak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bjak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bjak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 04 Doors randomly locking/unlocking, alarm going off while driving, horn beeping.

This is almost always plugged sunroof drains causing water to run down the a pillar into the door switch or wiring.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
bjak
bjak is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 04 Doors randomly locking/unlocking, alarm going off while driving, horn beeping.

No sunroof, so that can't be it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bjak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bjak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Then a bad connection or corroded door switch?

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-To be absolutely sure the aftermarket remote start system isn't interfering with your problems, either disable it completely by removing its fuse (most likely an inline fuse to the remote start module), find whoever installed it to uninstall it or disable it completely or remove the entire system yourself. No one can guarantee any aftermarket remote start won't interfere or cause problems.

2-This may be bcm related since door locks are operated by bcm, factory alarm and Passlock theft deterrent are operated by bcm as well as many other functions the engine computer doesn't control. One way to isolate the random door locks cycling; either disconnect each door lock switch or remove the BCM PWR 15A fuse - this supplies power to the door lock system. See if door locks cycle with either switches or fuse removed. This doesn't rule put the bcm causing problems but can help point which way to proceed with more troubleshooting.

3-The factory alarm is bcm operated and one way to deactivate it is to use the remote to UNLOCK doors and not use the remote temporarily. Remote keyless entry is bcm operated. By not using the remote and using the key to lock and unlock doors, you're isolating this problem by eliminating use of the bcm for nothing important and attempting to see if the bcm is acting erratically on its own to; randomly cycle the alarm and cycle the door locks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote