SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
ExNorth
ExNorth has a spectacular aura aboutExNorth has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
1999 SL2
Default Need to find a spot to run a power line for a Subwoofer.

The title says it all. I'd like to avoid drilling a hole in the firewall.. Is there any known spot that I can safely run a power line from the battery, through the firewall to the back of the trunk? Some cars have spots that can fit a power line through. I am hoping some of you more advanced members can help me out.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Need to find a spot to run a power line for a Subwoofer.

If you have an automatic do like everyone else has and cut a hole in the clutch master cylinder grommet.

If you have a manual do do like everyone else has and cut a hole in the grommet with the PCM wires near the brake booster.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Foment_life
Foment_life is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I ran mine through the rubber boot with the main wire loom by the brake booster. I will take pictures to post Monday if you're unsure what I'm referring to exactly.

As for running it after that though, I'd imagine running it up the driver's side, under the door trim all the way to the trunk is the easiest way to go, as it is in nearly every other vehicle ever made. I have a 10" low-profile sub in the back seat, so I ran mine under the center console.

1999 Saturn SL2 186K **Daily Driver**
2007 Toyota Matrix XR 1.8L 91k //The Out-of-towner\\
1994 Suzuki Sidekick 185k <<Wife's Go-Kart>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Foment_life's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Foment_life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Foment_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Foment_life

1999 SL2

I ran mine through the rubber boot with the main wire loom by the brake booster. I will take pictures to post Monday if you're unsure what I'm referring to exactly.

As for running it after that though; I'd imagine running it up the driver's side, under the door trim all the way to the trunk is the easiest way to go, as it is in nearly every other vehicle ever made. I have a 10" low-profile sub in the back seat, so I ran mine under the center console.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Foment_life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
ExNorth
ExNorth has a spectacular aura aboutExNorth has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foment_life View Post

As for running it after that though; I'd imagine running it up the driver's side, under the door trim all the way to the trunk is the easiest way to go, as it is in nearly every other vehicle ever made. I have a 10" low-profile sub in the back seat, so I ran mine under the center console.

Yes please do provide some pictures! I really appreciate the help and replies from both of you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

I ran mine through that main grommet also. You you can use a long screwdriver and poke a small enough hole through it that the power wire fits snugly. Then run it back under all the door trim all the way back to the trunk.

'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Foment_life

1999 SL2

Okay, so here's a quick snap through of what I did.

I didn't buy a battery tap, I used the power terminal off the UHJB, was much easier and there was plenty of room without modifying anything.

You see 2 wires because I ran a dedicated lead for my head unit as well as the subwoofer. Every connection in the wiring here is soldered, wrapped in heat shrink, and in many cases, electrical tape on top of it.

I put my wiring through this main boot here, next to the wire loom for just about everything in the car. Maybe you want to go a little farther away from the main loom when you push through here.

I cut a wire coat hanger down and duct taped the power cable to it. Works like a charm.

Here you can see from the driver's foot well how I ran mine. There's plenty of room to run the wire up through a gap in the metal frame here to keep it out of the way. It doesn't interfere with anything while I'm driving or when I am using the ODBII port.

There's a bit of insulation etc, to contend with when you have to find the wire hanger you push through. You might end up hitting the insulation and not coming through cleanly next to the wire loom that's already in place. Just follow it to the root and fish around next to it with your fingers, you'll find what you pushed through.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2

Great photos, will be very helpful to me, thanks!

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Upstate Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Foment_life

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Saturn View Post
Great photos, will be very helpful to me, thanks!
Glad I could help!

If you're installing (or have already installed) an aftermarket CD player/head unit, seriously consider taking the stereo's constant power off the F5 circuit. Running a 14-16 gauge fused wire when you install the subwoofer takes like... 5 extra minutes and will take some load off the circuit that runs your fuel pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!