SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
ED1
ED1 is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 FWD Rear Disc Conversion

Help!!!!How do i post pics? Site wont let me post pics..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ED1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ED1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
ED1

Default Re: 2005 FWD Rear Disc Conversion

parts needed to do conversion:
2007-2009 Equinox complete rear trailing arm, E-brake cables, Rear Axle Tips, Axle nuts.
2008-2010 Saturn vue complete rear trailing arm, E-brake cables, Rear Axle Tips, Axle nuts.

Before:
saturn vue2.jpg
After:
saturn vue 4.jpg

Saturn Vue 1.jpg

saturn vue3.jpg

saturn vue5.jpgsaturn vue2.jpg

saturn vue 4.jpg

Last edited by ED1; 03-16-2015 at 01:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ED1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ED1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Interesting, how long did it take you to do the swap?

Do you have an exact listing of what's needed? I see your post above but it's not really clear what's needed.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

Last edited by PortugalFocus; 03-16-2015 at 03:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
ED1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortugalFocus View Post
Interesting, how long did it take you to do the swap?

Do you have an exact listing of what's needed? I see your post above but it's not really clear what's needed.
took me 5 hours cause i have a small garage.

I posted whats needed.. Its plug in play.. Complete rear trailing arms including rotors, calipers, brake lines, E-brake cables from 07-09 equinox or 08-10 saturn vue.. Also need rear axle tips from the 2 cars..You have to dissassemble the axles to get the tips..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ED1's Reputation
Old 03-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Ls1 saturn
Ls1 saturn is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

Nice job. Any noticeable difference. Better pedal height ? Ect

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ls1 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ls1 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ls1 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
ED1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1 saturn View Post
Nice job. Any noticeable difference. Better pedal height ? Ect
thanks, Car stops way better than the drum set-up..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ED1's Reputation
Old 03-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Ed,
This is something I have a serious interest in doing, but not sure if it would work on an AWD with anti-locks.... Any ideas on that part of it?? Also, I know it is asking a lot, but could you do a complete, step by step, write up of this with a tools list??

Thanks,

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
ED1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
Ed,
This is something I have a serious interest in doing, but not sure if it would work on an AWD with anti-locks.... Any ideas on that part of it?? Also, I know it is asking a lot, but could you do a complete, step by step, write up of this with a tools list??

Thanks,

John
check pm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ED1's Reputation
Old 04-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

Pardon my ignorance, but if your stock brake setup is capable of locking up your wheels, how is that not enough "braking power"?

If your wheels lock up and your tires are skidding, then in order to shorten your stopping distances, you need a wider/stickier set of tires. I am quite sure any, stock, oem brake setup can lock up the tires on a modern vehicle. (I don't have ABS, but ABS activation would be the same as locking up your tires)

Unless you are racing or towing, upgrading your brakes is purely cosmetic.

Feel free to prove me wrong in my ponderings.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Took the words out of my mouth.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #11
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
I am quite sure any, stock, oem brake setup can lock up the tires on a modern vehicle. (I don't have ABS, but ABS activation would be the same as locking up your tires)
This is actually quite untrue, at least in performance vehicles. Both of my corvettes will NOT lock up the tires in dry situations with a full down brake stomp. The Redline typically will not, but does rarely if the tires and road are cold. If there's snow on the ground or any little bit of ice, it obviously will lock up.

But I agree, in most circumstances, upgrading your brakes in this manner is simply an upgrade of aesthetics. But hey, if that's all you're looking to upgrade then who cares?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
Ls1 saturn

2007 VUE Red Line

How many people here has successfully removed their rear drums on their VUE ?
I think this is a good upgrade. When my rears start grinding in doin it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ls1 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
Ls1 saturn

2007 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
This is actually quite untrue, at least in performance vehicles. Both of my corvettes will NOT lock up the tires in dry situations with a full down brake stomp.
The brakes on my V won't lock up either, it just stops

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Well, I look at it this way... I do plan on doing some towing, and I live in mountainous areas where down hill grades heat up brakes quick... so the discs should run cooler even if not towing... And cooler brakes stop quicker... If this can be done with all factory parts, I just don't see where it could be a bad thing... I have never really liked the pedal feel and response from my brakes, even after replacing all four and making sure the reservoir was full and brakes bled out, so I do want to see what the difference is.

aka
Lord_Varon
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

Thumbs Up Re: 2005 FWD Rear Disc Conversion

Okay, glad to see you guys are aware of when it is needed and when it is for looks. (ya never know on some car forums)

Seems like a lot of work!
I was also happy to see my lowly 2.2L came stock with 235 tires and are plenty for this non speed demon.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #16
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I can see the need( and servicing convenience) of rear discs for towing and full cargo- cabin capacity driving.

I don't have ABS ,and just stock rear drums, and can stop scary-quick or lock up all corners , easily, if being sloppy/panicked. I still have stock rubber flex lines- neeed to get some SS new ones for better feel and just general maint. for a car with 200K miles+/-......

When pre-adjusting the rear drums after new parts install, the slack has to be taken up(need to be adjusted) until they're just starting to drag
( then back off one-half smidge).

If they aren't set up prior, they won't help out when the front's are locking up (or want to).

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
tcndeb
tcndeb is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

If there is no need for rear discs, why do manufacturers put them on there?

'04 Base Model Vue, 2.2, 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tcndeb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tcndeb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tcndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
Wildstar87
Wildstar87 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Discs are easier to maintain/replace than drums as well. The front discs on my VUE were much more straightforward than the rear drums when I replaced them last summer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wildstar87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wildstar87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wildstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #19
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Wildstar,
That is a fact... I HATE working on drum brakes..... discs are much easier to maintain.... And I would have to disagree with the statement that discs don't help stopping distance. Depending on driving conditions, the faster and greater heat buildup in rear drums will lead to longer stopping distances that you will not see in rear discs. And personally, I like to know that when I step on the brake pedal... I am going to stop...

That is my .02 at least.

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #20
Silverback
Silverback is on a distinguished road

Just a note,

the above method posted by ED1 only works for FWD cars. It will NOT work on an AWD car as the axles are different sizes/detentions. I'm currently exploring other options.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote