SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
silverslp
silverslp is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1998 SL2
Default OEM Thermostat Housing

I will be replacing my thermostat soon as my needle on the temp gauge never goes above 1/4. In fear that someone has previously installed the incorrect aftermarket thermostat and housing in this car, I am wondering if there is anything (markings or otherwise) that can tell me whether or not the housing is OEM, especially before I take it off?

I understand this is not the buying / selling thread section, but does anyone have an OEM thermostat housing that they would be willing to sell just in case?

Thank you all in advance.

2005 Saturn Ion 3 Blue - 115k Miles - Auto Trans.
2005 Saturn Ion 3 Black - 115k Miles - Auto Trans.
1998 Saturn SL2 Red - 185k Miles - Auto Trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverslp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverslp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverslp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: OEM Thermostat Housing

Your pick and pull has replacements. The OEM housing has a raised circular casting clock on the side of the neck that and a hose stop diamond are the only marks on it. Thee are not that many of the MOTORAD non OEM units around. You can feel the casting clock with your fingers before trying to remove the one you have. The MOTORAD has the name on the side of it. J N Winkler provided the photos. You can see the external difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-25-thermostat-replacement_0011.jpg (89.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-08-25-thermostat-replacement_0012.jpg (141.2 KB, 56 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
silverslp

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

Thank you for the information and pictures from another member. I didn't know Motorad was the only aftermarket manufacturer. I will look for the circular casing clock on my housing. This is great to know before replacing the thermostat and realizing that the factory Stant 14279 doesn't fit. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silverslp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

It is much easier to go round up a housing when you need one if you can still use the car. Planing ahead makes this job much easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
silverslp

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Planing ahead makes this job much easier.
Exactly, I was trying to plan ahead. Unfortunately we don't have any local pick and pulls so that's why I thought I'd ask here. But I'll check the casing marks first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I doubt that there are any spares floating around. I would check with the local yards as many will let you in even if they do not claim to be pick and pull. They might even pull an OEM one for you at a reasonable cost. The aftermarket replacement is both expensive and poor quality. The OEM is aluminum and the MOTORAD looks to be an alloy.

Use this site and search for some part to locate all that are close. http://car-part.com/index.htm

You can search for thermostat housing, looks like a 20.00 part the aftermarket is 28.00 or so.

Last edited by OldNuc; 03-09-2015 at 08:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
silverslp

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

That's a very useful link. Hopefully I won't need to go that route, but it's great to know there are some out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There are lots, most yards will not list them on this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverslp View Post
This is great to know before replacing the thermostat and realizing that the factory Stant 14279 doesn't fit. Thanks again.
I suspect that if you wade through post after post in this forum, you will eventually fine the same number of original owners that pulled out a Stant 14279 thermostat as I did. That number being zero.

I don't know who made the factory shipped units, but of all the people that could confirm they pulled the original out that I've seen, they were the ones with the different body design and made in Germany. Just like the one in my photos, which is the original that came out of our '95. They ran cooler and lasted a long freaking time.

I can pick up either of two aftermarket units that come with housings right down the road, both for the same or less than the Stant thermostat alone.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #10
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

I have several extras at my place in CA, but I'm not there at the moment. You'll find one.

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

OEM Thermostat: 21006335
OEM Thermostat w/ Housing & gasket: 21006065

Both say the same thermostat is for '91-'02, though that doesn't mean that the same thermostat came factory installed '91-'02.

Looks like both Gates and ACDELCO reused the OEM thermostat number for their thermostat, I'd personally trust ACDELCO to be OEM before Stant, Gates or any other yahoo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The one on top is a STANT 14279 and the one lower down on the page is a MOTORAD with no name on the housing. That is from Advance Auto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-2015-03-09_23-01.jpg (164.3 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Gates is peddling what looks to be the Motorad this week.

I will wait for someone to spend $50.00 for the ACDelco part as it is also all over Amazon and eBay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

silverslp
Beware you may find an aftermarket housing that uses the non standard thermostat with no markings of any kind on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #15
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
OEM Thermostat: 21006335
OEM Thermostat w/ Housing & gasket: 21006065

Both say the same thermostat is for '91-'02, though that doesn't mean that the same thermostat came factory installed '91-'02.

Looks like both Gates and ACDELCO reused the OEM thermostat number for their thermostat, I'd personally trust ACDELCO to be OEM before Stant, Gates or any other yahoo.
Having seen only one type come out of the cars as original, I'll trust it to be OEM type when I see one that looks like the one that came out of my car.

I just don't know if anyone still makes or sells them. I remember ehunter found one that looked the same except colored black when he was searching for a new housing for his Stant. IIRC he also had a Murray unit in the car before all his change/housing issues and said the Murray worked fine. My local place shows the photo of the Motorad with the Murray number, but I'm not sure how they would be marked. But in either case the Murray they list comes with a housing.

I'm just glad I know I have an original housing, so I have options.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you have to have an old black one start searching for a NOS 21006065, there are a few out there yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
silverslp

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

Quote:
If you have to have an old black one start searching for a NOS 21006065, there are a few out there yet.
My only concern is that the correct thermostat (Stant 14279) fits in the housing properly and that the housing doesn't cause the temp to be off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They work fine and seem to last fine as well. The problems of ~2008 seem to have been solved. As long as it actually controls temperature you are good. Anywhere between 3/8 and 1/2 is OK as the ECTS does control the indication and it is far from a precision instrument.

When refilling the system after replacing thermostat use a full gallon of 100% antifreeze and top off with distilled water. That way you get the 5+ years of service life and full freeze/boil protection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #19
silverslp

1999 SL2
1998 SL2

Quote:
They work fine and seem to last fine as well. The problems of ~2008 seem to have been solved. As long as it actually controls temperature you are good. Anywhere between 3/8 and 1/2 is OK as the ECTS does control the indication and it is far from a precision instrument.

When refilling the system after replacing thermostat use a full gallon of 100% antifreeze and top off with distilled water. That way you get the 5+ years of service life and full freeze/boil protection.
Oh okay, I read quite a few examples of people who couldn't fit the Stant thermostat in the housing, so I wanted to be sure. I will do the coolant method you suggested. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you try and stuff a STANT or any other OEM design thermostat into a non standard housing it will not fit. The STANT comes with directions and as long as you have the correct OEM housing it fits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!