SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default P0133 and P1133

I recently got a code scanner, and checked out my 1999 SC2. There was no Service (wrench) or Service Engine Soon, or any other idiot lights on. Codes P0133 and P1133 were stored twice each (total of four codes). From this forum and http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ I gather that:

P0133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1, Sensor1)

P1133 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insufficient Switching

this indicates that the O2 sensor before the catalytic needs repair/cleaning/replacing and/or it's connections. I'm a little unsure about P1133, is this one just confirming that the P0133 is genuine? As I understand it, P0133 says the O2 sensor is not responding fast enough, and P1133 says the (heated?) O2 sensor is switching too infrequently. Sensor responds, but slowly, and doesn't change state fast enough, about right?

I cleared the codes with the scanner, and now, about 30 seconds after starting the car, I get Service (wrench) light coming on. This repeats every time I start the car, no light, then 30 seconds or so, and light comes on. I also get the Low Coolant flashing for a bit, but I know I need to clean the float switch.

Recently (less than 30,000 kms) I've replaced oil pan, ECTS, thermostat, plugs (Bosch (7957) FR8DCX Super Plus Spark Plug), Denso wires, Inner/outer tie rods, LCA's (both sides for rods and arms). After replacing ECTS and thermostat, heat worked a lot better, and engine got up to more normal temperatures. Not sure if it was plugs/wires or ECTS/thermo, but it also burns a lot less oil. Prior, was using about a liter every 500kms, now it's about 1/4 of that. Gas mileage hasn't changed much over the last 100,000 kms or so, right around 7L/100km (using a converter, looks like around 33.6 mpg). I accelerate hard often, and rarely cruise at less than 95kph, almost no city driving.

Not sure what other info to throw out there, just trying to confirm repair/replace O2 sensor.

Thanks everyone, this forum has saved me literally hundreds, if not thousands of shop dollars

sorry if it's a long post!

TL;DR - replaced a bunch of things, getting P0133 and P1133, is it legit?

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0133 and P1133

If the O2 sensor is original, examine wiring to be sure wiring and connections aren't causing poor electrical connections. If wiring is fine, replace the O2 sensor.

Both codes, presuming wiring is in good condition, point to a worn out O2 sensor (350k kms). What condition is the catalytic converter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If the O2 sensor is original, examine wiring to be sure wiring and connections aren't causing poor electrical connections. If wiring is fine, replace the O2 sensor.
I will check wires and connection this weekend.

Quote:
Both codes, presuming wiring is in good condition, point to a worn out O2 sensor (350k kms). What condition is the catalytic converter?
I have no idea on the catalytic converter's condition. I've never done anything with it, and I've put on over 100,000 kms myself (car has >350k kms now).

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

350k kms/217k miles is a long time on these two original(?) parts. A worn out catcon tends to fall apart internally, disintegrating and gradually coming off exhaust flow. This is displayed by poor engine running, inexplicable error codes, engine unable to reach speed and taking longer to accelerate. Blocked catcons are found by members removing the front pre-cat O2 sensor, allowing an immediate engine performance improvement because of the alternate exhaust path bypassing the blocked catcon. If your engine runs fine and gets up to speed, the catcon is probably find but eventually will wear out. Hopefully this is corroded wiring connections otherwise a worn out O2 sensor is likely.

Both error codes are explained in service manuals as cycling slower than normal (output cycling between 0.4v-0.8v DC) several times per second and detected by on board diagnostics monitoring emissions circuits constantly. Any change from programmed parameters not matched by sensors outputting within a range of values triggers error codes. Physical inspection of the sensor and associated wiring/connections is first followed by other checks before determining replacement. No one guarantees replacement O2 sensors beyond a set time period or mileage beyond approximately 80k kms/50k miles so it can be presumed yours, if original, has lasted well beyond a reasonable time/mileage. The exceptions are USA mandates for emissions parts to last 8 yrs/100k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

Update: drove twice today about 15 minutes of highway speeds, both cold starts (about 6 hrs apart) no Service (wrench) lights or low coolant flashing lights. Will check O2 this weekend anyway.

Regarding catalytic converter, engine runs great, lots of acceleration (for a 1.9L) and no rough idle or stalls.

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

Last edited by robb_sc2; 03-13-2015 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: driving interval

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

Attachments are a pain... had to resize, and export... anyway, here is the O2 sensor, looks like the tip is in decent condition. The wiring goes from connector to a shared loom with the fan power, which looks to have melted at some point in the past. Although insulation seems intact, the plastic snap-wrap and some of the foam on the A/C line is melted.

Maybe there's a better way, but I used a 22mm crow-foot wrench to get this out, there's not much room for a straight wrench in there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99SC2_O2.jpg (192.0 KB, 12 views)

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
robb_sc2

1999 SC2

15 minute time limit to edit messages...

Sensor has markings 987 ND 065500-6410 1 U

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That sensor looks like any other part stuck in the exhaust stream, enduring high temperature heat. There's one way to measure sensor output, crudely; a propane torch and multimeter measuring the output voltage between 0.1-0.9 vdc as the tip is heated and cooled. YouTube videos available for show and tell for a general test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!