SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 1995 SC2 Timing Problem

Pulling a single plug wire is very hard on coil insulation and NOT recommended. Grounding a single wire is fine though.

The exhaust leak also causes a fouled up mixture which does not help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #22
zmarrott
zmarrott is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

OldNuc, the exhaust ends after the CAT and isnt the issue. its run like that many times without issue. and ive been getting the code since the exhaust was still stock. it came as a result of the cold air. going to check compression in a bit after i go get the gauge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zmarrott's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zmarrott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zmarrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #23
zmarrott

1995 SC2

just to check: from left to right the cylinder numbers go 4 1 2 3 correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (161.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by zmarrott; 03-02-2015 at 07:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zmarrott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #24
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarrott View Post
just to check: from left to right the cylinder numbers go 4 1 2 3 correct?
Yes 4 1 2 3 . Also is your CAI a true cold air intake? I was considering putting a warm air intake but definitely don't want to be popping SES lights..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #25
zmarrott

1995 SC2

it was a true cold air, untill the original filter broke from being too close to the ground. so i took off the lower half of it and now it functions as more of a ram air than a cold air. i presume ram air is what you meant by warm air intake. ram air is a short pipe with usually a pod filter, but it pulling air from the engine bay instead of being routed outside the engine bay. the duct tape is cuz a hole got worn through it from the original battery bracket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (143.3 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #26
zmarrott

1995 SC2

and to be honest the ses light is probably cuz of what i did with the intake temp sensor. its not actually in the intake, just dangling in the front corner of the car somewhere

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #27
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Are you asking about cylinder order, or firing order? Cylinder #1 is on the passenger-side, cylinder #4 is only the driver-side; 1-2-3-4 left-to-right standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay. I am not talking about firing order here, just actual cylinder locations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #28
zmarrott

1995 SC2

going off of the coil packs its 4 1 2 3. ive never seen an inline 4 actually be 1 2 3 4. firing order is probably something like 2 4 1 3. i know how they the basics of how they work, but i need to check when it comes to specific vehicles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #29
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

As usual, this has become quite confused.

This is how you hook it all up.

Ignition wire routing as seen when looking at the engine and coils from the front, hood open, your left to right.

Engine
1-2-3-4

4-1-2-3
coil towers

Connect the matching numbers with a plug wire.

NOTE:
Your left when standing in the front of the car looking at the engine is your left, the car's right. The passenger side is always the right side when referencing the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #30
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

LOL obviously your SES is on with the Intake sensor dangling. Alright now I'm not as worried lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #31
zmarrott

1995 SC2

ok so now that cylinder location is cleared up, thank you oldnuc, if theres a burned valve would i hear anything if i place a stethescope to the top of the headders for each cylinder? havent gotten to the compression check cuz im waiting for my friend to help me with that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #32
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Pull the PCM B fuse to shut off fuel and spark and get someone to crank the engine while you listen at he tail pipe. If it is reasonably functional you will hear 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 repetitively with the same time spacing and if you have a bad exhaust valve 1 pulse in each group of 4 will be flat. Can not miss it. If it was the 3rd one you would hear 1,2,phht,4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #33
zmarrott

1995 SC2

will definitely test that when my friend gets here. and pulling that fuse will be much easier than unplugging each plug and injector for the compression test

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #34
zmarrott

1995 SC2

so got the compression ressults. cylinders 1 and 2 are pushing about 30 psi and cylinders 3 and 4 are pushing 150-180. thats just confusing to me. i tested from left to right and after getting to cylinder 4 i went back to double check cylinders 1 and 2 and still read 30

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #35
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Need to pull the head and look. #1 and #2 are mechanically 180 degrees apart. Be sure to check both head and block for warpage as the engine has been run low on coolant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #36
zmarrott

1995 SC2

coolant is fine at the moment, and if it is leaking to the cylinders, i havent lost much. i havent driven it since saturday. ive only ran it low on coolant once about 3 months ago when the water pump was leaking, but after repairing that it ran fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #37
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarrott View Post
so got the compression ressults. cylinders 1 and 2 are pushing about 30 psi and cylinders 3 and 4 are pushing 150-180. thats just confusing to me. i tested from left to right and after getting to cylinder 4 i went back to double check cylinders 1 and 2 and still read 30
I would do a leak down test on both cylinders to see where the leakage is happening, The gasket if blown between the two cylinder will show up.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #38
zmarrott

1995 SC2

so instead of doing a leak down teat due to how expensive they are, i just pulled cylinder 1 and 2 spark plugs and disconnected their fuel injectors on the hunch that my head gasket break was between the two cylinders and after accidentally leaving all electrical systems on for a day and getting the battery charged at autozone for 2 1/2 hours and a 20 minute jump start, it ran quite well considering the condition the engine is in. cylinders 1 and 2 are bypassed entirely with the exception of their weight. wouldnt idle below 1800 rpm, but kinda cant expect much better on half an engine. went for a drive and no overheat issue at all just minimal power. so thats the status of the car now. so does anyone know of or can find a forum on replacing the head gasket on the DOHC engine? im at work currently and dont have time to search the site yet

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #39
OldNuc

1998 SC2

How about a link to a head replacement which includes the gasket?
Head replacement and chain remove-replace
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168496

Pictures of the entire overhaul process.
DOHC (1995)
https://picasaweb.google.com/1159762...L6UoammvrKEsAE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!