SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
zmarrott
zmarrott is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default 1995 SC2 Timing Problem

So just today i felt the exhaust note of the car change and have a big reduction of power. ive narrowed it down to a timing issue due to it sounding very similar to my uncles ion that had the timing go bad. is there a way to determine what exactly has broken in the timing before i dig into the engine to fix it? it still starts, runs, and gets me to my destination, but it sounds terrible and has no umph anymore. engine has roughly 100k on it (though no the kindest driving for the past 15k miles since ive owned it) and chassis has 311k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zmarrott's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zmarrott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zmarrott is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: 1995 SC2 Timing Problem

Sounds like you burned one of the exhaust valves for cylinder #3. Whatever the exact cause, start with a compression test. You're looking for 180-210psi in all 4 cylinders, but the engine usually runs decently down to 160psi as long as it's fairly even across all 4 cylinders.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
zmarrott

1995 SC2

how do you get a specific cylinder from a basic description of the problem? i do have a valve tap, but its been there for almost a year and im pretty sure it was an intake valve because i couldnt hear anything with a mechanic stethiscope on the headders. another pre-existing condition is the exhaust ends behind the catylitic converter. welds broke on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zmarrott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Burned valve makes no noise. The #3 exhaust closest to the #4 cylinder is usually the first to go, not always but a very safe bet at this point in the process. Do a compression test. Once the problem is identified the possible causes and fixes can be covered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarrott View Post
how do you get a specific cylinder from a basic description of the problem?
SOHC heads crack around one of the cam journals and DOHC engines burn an exhaust valve on cylinder #3. I got better MPG with 3 injectors plugged in (nearly as high as before the valve burned but still down 3-4mpg) but had the power to move the car down the road with all 4 plugged in (loosing ~10mpg).

If the compression test shows all 4 cylinders within 10psi of each other, the next step is taking the valve cover off to check the rockers and the timing chain. If not...you're looking at a rebuilt head, a couple gaskets and a timing chain set.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No rockers to blow out in the 95 DOHC. Should be pretty simple.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
zmarrott

1995 SC2

would a burned valve happen suddenly? i feel like that would be a slow process. it happened while i was driving, and it started fine, then part way through the drive it suddenly changed. didnt notice the power loss at first cuz i was going down a hill, but felt it big time going back up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yep, almost instantaneous event.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Compression test will certainly tell you if you have a burned exhaust valve, DOHC's are known for this, If you do a lot of wide open throttle and high RPM's this increases the chances of burned valves as the fuel mixture leans out in the higher RPM range.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is not supposed to lean out at WOT. If there is a burned valve then there is a problem to be fixed along with a valve replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
zmarrott

1995 SC2

well i do redline it commonly, so that would make sense. not able to do anything yet on it for probably a few days tho. should it be fine running it to go get parts and tools? im trying to be very careful and dont want to blow the engine, cuz i will not be able to afford that repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Other than being somewhat weak it will run fine with a burned valve. You will also have to fix the fuel delivery system if you want to persist in winding it up like that. Should fix it anyway. Many people have run them for months with known burned valves, nothing broke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Whenever there is an apparent major problem with an engine, like very low power hints at, it is risky to continue operating it any more than necessary to trouble-shoot the problem. Will something get damaged right away, positively-for-sure? Impossible to say, it's your gamble...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
zmarrott

1995 SC2

oh, one more question for the night: if per say it is a timing issue, does anyone know if the dohc engine would make contact between the valves and the pistons on total timing failure? i dont know what its called but i know some engines do and some dont

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
oh, one more question for the night: if per say it is a timing issue, does anyone know if the dohc engine would make contact between the valves and the pistons on total timing failure? i dont know what its called but i know some engines do and some dont
Yes if you break the chain the intakes get bent. It is possible to have the top guide fall apart and then you can jump time but that makes a lot of noise before it happens. Bent valves show up as a rapidly cranking engine with no compression sound from the exhaust while cranking. Most of this can be diagnosed without having a compression tester. Taking the cam cover off will tell you if it is timing. Turn engine clockwise until the pulley outer rim notch is straight up and see where the cam pip marks point, should also be straight up. I f you do not see them turn crank 1 turn clockwise and see where they are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #16
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
So just today i felt the exhaust note of the car change and have a big reduction of power. ive narrowed it down to a timing issue due to it sounding very similar to my uncles ion that had the timing go bad. is there a way to determine what exactly has broken in the timing before i dig into the engine to fix it? it still starts, runs, and gets me to my destination, but it sounds terrible and has no umph anymore. engine has roughly 100k on it (though no the kindest driving for the past 15k miles since ive owned it) and chassis has 311k.
You could easily use the poor mans method and remove the spark plugs, then use equal lenght pencils or similar to watch and see if the pistons go through their strokes properly.

Short of taking the cam cover off, this will let you see if anything is broken that causes piston interference. I would assume if you aren't hearing it this isn't the case.

And personally I'd find a compression tester to use while those plugs are out, as that is the quick way to find out if you burned a valve. But with only part of an exhaust system in place, anything could sound funky, and you might have something unrelated to the valve train, such as a stuck EGR.

Did you get any codes at all?

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 AM   #17
zmarrott

1995 SC2

ive been getting a check engine light constantly ever since i installed my cold air intake over a year ago. its off when i start the car but comes on after about 10 min. dont remember what code cuz something is messed up and nothing can get a response from the computer when plugging it in. i did the manual way to check once and it was some generic code. the computer was replaced same time as the engine about 100k ago. and i know what my car sounds like with half exhaust when it runs correctly (and i think it sounds awesome like that). its been like that for a long time. only recently had to complete it to get it registered where i now live and the weld broke so it went right back. the condition of my exhaust wouldnt case this unless it got plugged

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are going to have to come up with the code number and as you have an OBD-1 car you can pull the code yourself. A hole in the exhaust between the engine and CAT inlet very well could be the cause of that code you are experiencing. You need to run a compression test and possibly pull the cam cover and actually look at the timing chain and timing. If the engine turns over the pistons are moving as designed.

Run a compression test, if all readings are good then the problem is not in the engine. If all are very low take off the cam cover and check timing. If only a single cylinder is very low it is a valve and can be confirmed by air injection and listening for where it leaks out at.

Last edited by OldNuc; 03-02-2015 at 08:08 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
ive been getting a check engine light constantly ever since i installed my cold air intake over a year ago. its off when i start the car but comes on after about 10 min. dont remember what code cuz something is messed up and nothing can get a response from the computer when plugging it in. i did the manual way to check once and it was some generic code. the computer was replaced same time as the engine about 100k ago. and i know what my car sounds like with half exhaust when it runs correctly (and i think it sounds awesome like that). its been like that for a long time. only recently had to complete it to get it registered where i now live and the weld broke so it went right back. the condition of my exhaust wouldnt case this unless it got plugged
Wide open throttle attempts and a cold air intake equals lean fuel mixture, Which causes a burned valve, The timing chain most likely is fine as long as the oil level has been maintained and it has not been run on the add line several times, I would get the code read and report back, The less you drive it the better off right now, You don't want to cause anymore damage then is already there.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is the generic code 12 (3x), done manually with a wire jumper in the diagnostic connector?
There's another way to check on engine compression/burned valve/missing spark/fouled injector; with the engine idling, pull one plug wire at a time and observe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote