SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
chancefelling
chancefelling has a spectacular aura aboutchancefelling has a spectacular aura about

Default Turns over but won't start

2001 Saturn SC2 Series turns over and over but won't start. Son came in and said car won't start and I went to garage and it "barely" started (turnover over and over and over and took enough hits to start). I drove it 5 miles or so and thought it was fine. Now it won't start again ....does same thing...... turns over and over and over and acts like it is going to start off and on and then doesn't.

Crankcase position sensor?

Water in gas?

I replaced the plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter.

Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chancefelling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chancefelling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chancefelling is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: Turns over but won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancefelling View Post
2001 Saturn SC2 Series turns over and over but won't start. Son came in and said car won't start and I went to garage and it "barely" started (turnover over and over and over and took enough hits to start). I drove it 5 miles or so and thought it was fine. Now it won't start again ....does same thing...... turns over and over and over and acts like it is going to start off and on and then doesn't.

Crankcase position sensor?

Water in gas?

I replaced the plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter.

Any help would be appreciated.
What brand fuel filter did you install on the car? Also have you inspected the coolant temp sensor and its connector for cracks and coolant contamination? A failed coolant sensor will drown the engine in gas.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
chancefelling
chancefelling has a spectacular aura aboutchancefelling has a spectacular aura about

Thanks a bunch. Will check ECTS -- cooling system is new, I replaced everything about 6 months ago. This SC2 coupe has 300,000 and going (was going) strong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chancefelling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #4
billcuff
billcuff has a spectacular aura aboutbillcuff has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2

I would check the ignition coils and the ignition coil module. The JY is the best place to get one. I keep an extra based on a recommendation from OLDNUC. Just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago after wasting money of a new fuel filter and crank sensor based on the "diagnosis" from my mechanic and his fancy test equipment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billcuff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billcuff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billcuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
chancefelling

Thanks. Are there two coils on it ? an actual coil and then a module.....in other words, when / if I purchase these are there two of them? (if I replace any part of the coil system, I'm replacing the whole thing -- module and all).

THanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Two ignition coils and a separate ignition control module, a three piece set. Before you troll the junk yards for good ignition parts, did you try a spark test first? After noting firing order, remove plug wires and have someone crank the engine while you observe for spark. Maybe the ignition system needs cleaning. At 300k miles, nothing lasts forever.

The fuel pump is a wear item so the least you can do is put a fuel pressure gauge on to measure pressures. Expect 40-55 psi when ignition is turned on. The pump only runs for 2 seconds, long enough to build pressure and hold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
chancefelling

THanks again. I am checking for spark tonight -- was going to do it last night but ran out of time. One note -- whenever we have went to the two local junkyards (Indianapolis) we have never found anything. Even the guys at the counter say, "for a Saturn? u aren't going to find that, but you can try -- all of our Saturns are in J12 area" And then we go there and there is about 4 Saturns and they are stripped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have to replace ignition system parts, members here found used ones cheaper and just as reliable as new expensive ones. If you don't find them in your local junk yards, ebay/used parts online? Ads here may help too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
chancefelling

I have great spark............now I don't know what to do.

Will keep trying......it almost starts every time but won't. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

If you have spark, a good check is to spray a quick blast of starting-fluid into the intake, see if it fires (even briefly) that way. If it does fire, then we move on to checking things in the fuel system. But, if it doesn't fire, then it is time to pull the spark plugs to check condition, make sure the cylinders aren't flooded with fuel, and take compression readings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancefelling View Post
I have great spark............now I don't know what to do.

Will keep trying......it almost starts every time but won't. Thanks.
I mentioned two things to check in post #6 - spark and fuel. The pump runs only for 2 seconds at ign ON, long enough to pressurize the fuel rail. Either connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel test valve or depress the valve stem - expect fuel to spray out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!