SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
1posimoto
1posimoto is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Roll Eyes Sayin Hey from SoCal

New member here. Trying to figure out if I am doing this right or not. I have a 97 SL1 that I have for my long commute. I got 307,000 plus miles on 1st motor & tranny. The timing worked out that my best bud had bought a Saturn for his 16 yr old & the motor promptly went kaboom. A mechanic friend of his put in another motor and then the kid went right out and got in an accident. Poof, I had another motor & transmission with about 85,000 miles on it for $500. Sweet! So my problem. We don't know what year of car the motor came out of. It was assumed a 98. Unfortunately after putting about 20,000 miles on it the head is now cracked and I need another one. Not sure how it happened. Did not over heat. How can I be sure to get correct head? I think a lot of stuff from 96-98 are similar? The motor is a 1.9L DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1posimoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1posimoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1posimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Sayin Hey from SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1posimoto View Post
New member here. Trying to figure out if I am doing this right or not. I have a 97 SL1 that I have for my long commute. I got 307,000 plus miles on 1st motor & tranny. The timing worked out that my best bud had bought a Saturn for his 16 yr old & the motor promptly went kaboom. A mechanic friend of his put in another motor and then the kid went right out and got in an accident. Poof, I had another motor & transmission with about 85,000 miles on it for $500. Sweet! So my problem. We don't know what year of car the motor came out of. It was assumed a 98. Unfortunately after putting about 20,000 miles on it the head is now cracked and I need another one. Not sure how it happened. Did not over heat. How can I be sure to get correct head? I think a lot of stuff from 96-98 are similar? The motor is a 1.9L DOHC
Greetings and welcome to SaturnFans from another SoCaler! Look for casting numbers or any kind of UPC tag on the engine. If found, you should be able to contact GM and provide them with that number to find out what year that engine was produced. Go to the sight below and use the online chat feature. That is likely to be the quickest way for you to get your answer from them. The page below is found through GM.com.

https://www.saturn.com/toolbar/contact_us.html

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
1posimoto

1997 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: Sayin Hey from SoCal

Thanks pierrot, I will check!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1posimoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
1posimoto

1997 SL1

Ha, they were of no assistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Whatever known good head head that lasted the longest- match it up at a JY- tell them what you do know/assume and show them the head to match/give VIN# off the motor.
also
VIN decoder thread- thanks OldNuc
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153845
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...in_decode.html

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well, that's pathetic. The next thing that I'd suggest is contacting an engine rebuilder. Due to the nature of their work they must have answers to questions like yours. This I recall from my days as an autoparts counterman and dealing with an engine rebuilder whose engines we sold. There have been various companies in SoCal so if you look one up online or in a phone book you should find something.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Dusten
Dusten is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Welcome

1997 Saturn SL2 | 2001 Ford Lightning | 1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009 | 1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194 | 1968 Ford Mustang | 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ | 2015 Hyundai Sonota | 2008 Ford F-250

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dusten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dusten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dusten is offline   Reply With Quote