SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
htown860
htown860 is on a distinguished road

Default My P0017 experience...

I purchased my 2008 Saturn Outlook XR from a private party last Tuesday with 105,000 miles on it. We test drove it for about an hour and a half, all seemed well. The following Friday (three days after purchase), the Check Engine Light came on. I called Onstar to diagnose, they said code P0017 - Cam Position Sensor.

So I did some research, most likely the timing chains - estimated $2000-$3000 repair. There is a special coverage for premature wear of the timing chains on the 2007 and 2009 models, but not the 2008. Called GM Customer Service, they were unwilling to help since I was the second owner of the car and didn't have all of the maintenance records. Also, due to the fact that THIS model year did not have the aforementioned special coverage on it (seems senseless that the model year before and after would, but not mine)

So, we took it to the Fowlerville, Michigan dealer Tuesday morning. A couple hours later they called and confirmed it was the timing chains, like I had thought. Also recommended a coolant flush, waveplate for the transmission, 100k tune up, full synthetic oil and water pump (they were able to get covered by GM, since special coverage on that), I agreed to all. Late Wednesday afternoon (yesterday) they called and said it was all done. Picked it up this morning and seems all is well as of now.

My all in cost for everything that they did was $1980 and some change out the door. I feel like that is quite reasonable based on others' experiences. However, I still feel some reimbursement from GM should be in order, as both the timing chains and the waveplate are known issues.

There are so many negative comments about GM Dealer Service centers, and not enough positive. This was hands down the best experience I've had with any auto repair shop. Communication was perfect all the way, price came in lower than what I expected with extra things being done, and they were just very nice people to work with. I would recommend this shop to anyone.

Last edited by htown860; 02-12-2015 at 09:48 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to htown860's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help htown860 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
htown860 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: My P0017 experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown860 View Post
So, we took it to the Fowlerville, Michigan GM Dealer Service centers, and positive ,hands down the best experience I've had with any auto repair shop. Communication was perfect all the way, price came in lower than what I expected with extra things being done, and they were just very nice people to work with. I would recommend this shop to anyone.
And they even are working through the POlar Vortex! ANd you were able to get your Outlook there-IN THE POlar VOrtex! It must be AWD or you're a great driver

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
htown860

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
And they even are working through the POlar Vortex! ANd you were able to get your Outlook there-IN THE POlar VOrtex! It must be AWD or you're a great driver
We definitely got the AWD version lol. We've got about a foot on the ground right now (roads are clear though). Supposed to be getting more this weekend accompanied with some -13 degree weather, so I hear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help htown860 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

that sounds like a great price (1980 bucks) and you should be in good shape for a long time now. they are very nice vehicles just had these problems. gm is alot less likly too help when you arnt gms own customer and bought it used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
htown860

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
that sounds like a great price (1980 bucks) and you should be in good shape for a long time now. they are very nice vehicles just had these problems. gm is alot less likly too help when you arnt gms own customer and bought it used.
yeah that's kinda what i figured, the dealer tried to get them to pay for some of it, and they said they refused.

I am pleased with the overall cost, especially having the extra cost of the wave plate added in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

REfresh that fluid every 25000 miles ,or sooner if you tow, as well as fluid in transfer and rear differential.

100 K mile maintenance interval on these trans's is a joke.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #7
TSC1969
TSC1969 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Yes, it is nice to hear of a positive experience with a shop these days. It doesn't happen as often as it should. Thanks for sharing.
Tim C.

2008 Outlook XR AWD
Silver Pearl - Black Leather
Advanced Audio w/DVD - Sunroof
Touring Pkg. - Chrome Running Boards
Trailering Pkg. - Convenience Pkg.
Enhanced Convenience Pkg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TSC1969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TSC1969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TSC1969 is offline   Reply With Quote