SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
mylittleplanet
mylittleplanet is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 vue xe 4cyl oil blowby

My Saturn uses about a quart of oil a week, it isn't leaking but I've noticed there is a lot of blowby on the motor. I also have a creamy white substance on the inside of the oil cap, when I got my oil changed last time they said it was due to condensation. I'm not missing any coolant, it doesn't smoke at all and there is no milky oil on the dipstick....so I'm hoping it isn't a blown head gasket. It's never gotten hot that I'm aware of....seems to drive ok. From my understanding there is no pcv valve? Can someone help me out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mylittleplanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mylittleplanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mylittleplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2008 vue xe 4cyl oil blowby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittleplanet View Post
My Saturn uses about a quart of oil a week, it isn't leaking but I've noticed there is a lot of blowby on the motor. I also have a creamy white substance on the inside of the oil cap, when I got my oil changed last time they said it was due to condensation. I'm not missing any coolant, it doesn't smoke at all and there is no milky oil on the dipstick....so I'm hoping it isn't a blown head gasket. It's never gotten hot that I'm aware of....seems to drive ok. From my understanding there is no pcv valve? Can someone help me out...
Creamy white substance on the inside of the oil cap isn't a cause for alarm and isn't related to head gasket failure. A milk shake in your oil sump however would be and you said your oil is clean. Custard inside your oil cap is indeed condensation and aggravated by temperature extremes. If you don't run your motor for a long enough period, water can build up in your oil pan because the condensation doesn't burn itself out of the engine. This is why short jaunts only in the winter time can be problematic to an engine.

If you don't do sustained runs on the freeway to burn the moisture out of your engine, in the winter in particular, you must change the oil more often. Learn to change the oil yourself...stock up on oil filters and oil. Medium price oil is fine.

A couple more things:
Your 4 cyl Vue likely has a PCV valve, but as in the case of the 6 cyl car, it may not. The 6 cyl version that I have doesn't have a PCV valve. But no PCV doesn't mean their isn't crankcase ventilation. The EPA mandates that there is. You have hoses that route the blow by of the valve cover back into the intake. So, check the crankcase ventilation hoses to ensure they aren't sludged or plugged. Adherance to computer oil change intervals at higher mileage can be quite problematic to sludging. If you have a PCV valve, change it.

Change your air filter. A plugged air filter can adversely affect the vacuum through the crankcase ventilation and in the case of 6 cyl cars actually draw oil into the air filter housing and excessively contaminate the throttle body.

In summary:
The more extreme the temperature and driving conditions, change the oil more.

Make sure your PCV track is clear and not blocked

Change your air filter

Also, if you want the best life out of your head gasket, change your Dexcool every 2-3 years max. Combustion over time wicks contaminants into your cooling system with attacks your head gasket and even water pump bearing seal over time...and degrades hoses faster etc as well.

A car will age more gracefully with clean fluids throughout...from engine to trans to cooling system, to steering and brake reservoirs etc.

Hope that helps.

Preventative maintenance is key for the best longevity.

Last edited by gm7; 02-08-2015 at 06:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2008 vue xe 4cyl oil blowby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittleplanet View Post
How many miles do you drive each week and how many total miles on engine?

I've attached a few FSM extracts: (1) explains the CVS, (2) describes test to check for proper system operation, and (3) is general discussion for increased oil use.

The manometer can be replaced with an accurate vacuum gauge - you need to attach a gauge to dipstick tube to read low vacuum levels.

You may want to pull sparkplugs to check for crusty black deposits - evidence of increased oil consumption.

And - if it were mine - I'd probably do a cylinder compression check.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2.4 PCV System D & O.pdf (48.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue-2.4 PVC System Test.pdf (10.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf 2.4 Oil Consumption Diagnosis.pdf (10.7 KB, 10 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote