SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
tsukaska
tsukaska is on a distinguished road

Attention Misfire, rough idle, dies, you'll be impressed with how stubborn this car is!

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion 2, 2.2L. My wife was driving it not long after I replaced the fuel filter and that's when things went downhill. She went to shift into fourth gear and it felt like she shifted into second gear. She attempted to reshift, but it was in the correct fourth gear. The car then decided to die. The OBD wasn't communicating so I went about the research, guess, replace and check method. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, knock sensor, mass airflow sensor, timing chain and balance shaft chain and associated sprockets, spark plugs, ignition coil pack, ignition control module. I've even cleaned out the fuel injectors and none of the valves for them seem to be stuck in an open or close position.

I finally called a mechanic to my house and he was stumped. He did manage to get the OBD working (the cigarette lighter fuse was blown and the OBD uses that same fuse/relay. It was switched out with a working one and it started talking). A P0300 multiple misfire code was brought up and a P0604 Control Module RAM fault code was displayed.

I gave up and took it into the dealer to have them look at it. I replaced the battery before I took it in because the old one was no good. They said I installed the timing chain incorrectly. Apparently I lined up the intake/exhaust markings while the top dead center (TDC) for valve 1 was in the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke. I towed it home and did the fix on it, but it still has lots of misfiring and will only idle for a few seconds. Sometimes I can get the RPMs up to around 2K but it still dies. Hitting the gas pedal doesn't seem to do much to keep the car running. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe the powertrain control module (PCM) was bad (because of the RAM fault code) but that code was erased from the OBD memory after the battery change-out. Sometimes the electronics would do weird things, like the headlights coming on when I pulled the e-brake. Could these electrical anomalies be related to this?

Before I changed the timing chain, I was able to get the car to run, it took several minutes of cranking and the car moved like a slug down the road. It ran though. Now it doesn't. All the recall services have been performed (ignition lock cylinder, ignition switch, power steering motor).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tsukaska's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tsukaska reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tsukaska is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Misfire, rough idle, dies, you'll be impressed with how stubborn this car is!

Was the timing chain and balance shaft chain and sprockets and tensioner hard to replace in that 2.2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Misfire, rough idle, dies, you'll be impressed with how stubborn this car is!

sounds like my fiancÚs civic. no matter what work you do, still wont run right lol

anywho, in regards to the P0604 code, check all the connections on the PCM to make sure they are clean, plugged in properly, and make sure none of the wires look damaged (open or shorted).
from what im reading about the PCM, is that when in the process of starting up, it performs a self test, and if it fails the self test, itll prevent the car from starting, and throw the code.

heres my source: http://engine-codes.com/p0604_saturn.html

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote