SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Hayley
Hayley is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Radio has power but no sound/Amp problem?

Hi All,

Apologies for my lack of car knowledge but I am in need of some advice;

I bought a used Saturn Vue 2006 3.5L V6 (has OnStar option) in 2012 and the radio worked fine, after a year it would go in and out when I hit the brakes and then after a couple months it stopped working totally. The lights on the radio work and it shows me what's playing but no sound comes out. I took it to a mechanic and they said it wasn't an electrical problem so I went to Best Buy to get a new radio installed. The Best Buy employees said the factory amplifier was broken and that I should buy a replacement. I called a dealership and asked for a replacement and they said it would be $430 which is way too much money for a default amp. I really don't want to get a new amp with all new speakers so I'm wondering what I should do?

After some reading on Saturn Vue radio problems it seems like a lot of them have to do with a blown fuse, would the mechanic or Best Buy guys have known and checked for this? Or is my amp definitely broken?

Thank you so much for any help!

-Hayley

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hayley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hayley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Radio has power but no sound/Amp problem?

Does your Vue have the sub in the back? If so, then it has a factory amp. If not then it is just the head unit.

Since it would go in and out when you hit the brakes, I would tend to say it is an electrical problem. Maybe someone here could help identify if/where the wiring for the stero crosses the breaks and you could look for chaffing/breakage around there. It sounds to me like something shorted between the two systems and the radio/amp lost the fight. If it is just the amp, then you may be able to bypass it and just lose the sub.

The solution may be to replace/repair the damaged wires or a new stereo (don't forget to get the GMOS-LAN-06 to retain your OnStar and chime functionality, http://amzn.com/B000UV6JI6 ). I don't know that I would trust the Best Buy folks to find this though. Probably best looking for a higher end car stereo or custom car shop if you don't want to invest in a GM dealership.

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote