SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Moon
Moon is on a distinguished road

Attention 1997 SL Starting Issues / Replaced Ignition Control Module

Hi everyone. I'm having a problem I've read about here from other S-Series owners; car starts fine first time (i.e. 'cold') then after engine gets warmed up, like after a few errands that require parking, walking away briefly and returning to the vehicle, it acts like it almost won't start and in fact it cuts out if the accelerator is not tapped at least a little. I've had a fuel-pressure test performed which shows the fuel system is not the problem and I replaced what's called in Saturn jargon the DIS Module, a.k.a. the Ignition Control Module with a brand new one but I am still having the same problem. I should note that the car runs great otherwise, whether while moving or even idling at traffic stops... no problems. There is not even a check engine light either. This is strictly a warm-starting issue that I assume will get worse so I'd like to figure this out soon. Thanks for any help. (Let me add that withing the last year, car has had new plugs, wires and even a new coil pack installed plus I purchased a very expensive Odyssey battery for it six months ago)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: 1997 SL Starting Issues / Replaced Ignition Control Module

Can you expand on the fuel pressure testing done? 97 models have a defective fuel pump which does not hold pressure in the system once the car is shut off. To see if this might be the cause of your issue, get in the habit of turning the key to run, waiting 3 seconds, and then turning the key to start. This gives the pump time to prime the system.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
Can you expand on the fuel pressure testing done? 97 models have a defective fuel pump which does not hold pressure in the system once the car is shut off. To see if this might be the cause of your issue, get in the habit of turning the key to run, waiting 3 seconds, and then turning the key to start. This gives the pump time to prime the system.
+1

Well known for leaking down, and a delay primes the system properly again.

Other possible causes can be EGR related (easy to block and test), CPS (spark test followed by resistance test can usually nail this), vacuum and/or exhaust leaks that manifest into trim problems at idle, and sometimes a lazy O2 sensor.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Let's not forget the ever-popular ECT sensor. That may be "stuck" cold, giving a rich mixture that is good for a cold-start, but too rich for hot starting. If "too rich", you would have to give it a bit of throttle to help it start... sound familiar?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Moon

Thanks for the advice so far... I'll ask my mechanic exactly what the fuel pressure test results were. I may just go ahead and get a new fuel pump too. Should I also get new injector & regulator? By the way... Engine Coolant Temperature sensor was replaced 9 months ago and also replaced main O2 sensor 6 months ago. This car only has 160K on her and I really want to get it running perfect again soon since otherwise everyhting else has sorted itself out. One minor problem is I can't seem to just not use it for more than one week or it drains the battery even though car was tested at electronics place and no drain detected and it has a super-powerful Odyssey battery which at least charges right back up in ten minutes or so, but still hate to take away from the projected six to eight years of life on that thing. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback so far and all future as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Moon

Okay, I am going to take on some further expensive replacement strategies to try and get this car back to perfect; new pump, regulator, fuel filter and injector (already did the Ignition Control Module replacement last month and that wasn't cheap eiter!). If anyone thinks one or more of the things I just mentioned wouldn't be necessary to replace please let me know so I don't have to hurt my credit card too badly. Thanks for any feedback!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moon's Reputation
Old 01-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Rather than throw (any more) parts at it, why not hook it up to a laptop via an ELM327 link and log live-data; see what changes from the OK cold start to the bad hot start modes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Moon

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the feedback. Here's what I did: new Spectra pump, new fuel pressure regulator and a new fuel filter. The result: it starts every time now but still only feels about 90% perfect compared to before everything started getting weird. I'm seriously considering a new fuel injector out of curiosity that it will beome perfect again. Naive question here... is it true I'll have to buy four new fuel injectors rather than just one? Also, should I also get a new crankshaft sensor? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moon's Reputation