SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
mikeheather
mikeheather has a spectacular aura aboutmikeheather has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
Default 94 SL2 Idle RPM Drop and Periodic Miss?

Hello:

I have a 94 SL2 that I received for pretty much free. I've gone through and pretty well fixed it up; however, I still have one problem left. Here are symptoms:
  • When idling, RPM will drop from 800 to about 200. Sometimes it will die sometimes it won't. The symptom is there pretty much if the engine is cold or warm, but more common when warm. Seems to be getting worse over time. I would almost now classify it as a rough idle because the idling does not hold at 800 very well.
  • When driving at speed, sometimes there is the feeling of a miss (not sure how to best describe it).

As indicated, I have things pretty well fixed up. Here is a list of related items that have been replaced:
  • Engine cooling temperature sensor and connector
  • Transmission temperature sensor and connector
  • Air intake temperature sensor
  • Transmission valve body pan gasket
  • Idle Air Control Valve
  • EGR Valve & Gasket
  • Thermostat
  • Spark plugs (NGK Standard Copper) and wires
  • PCV Valve
  • Water pump
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Fuel pump
  • Crank position sensor
  • Ignition coils
  • Ignition control module
  • O2 sensor
  • Cleaned the throttle body

I have gone through the forums and haven't much that I haven't already done.

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikeheather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikeheather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikeheather is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 94 SL2 Idle RPM Drop and Periodic Miss?

Mileage? Fuel pressure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
mikeheather
mikeheather has a spectacular aura aboutmikeheather has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Mileage? Fuel pressure?
The odometer stopped working around 137K. I have no idea how many miles since then.

Two things I haven't done is:
  • Fuel pressure
  • Engine compression

One other symptom I left out is that it takes extended number of cranks for warm starts. Cold starts, it fires up immediately.

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mikeheather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

The compression test and fuel pressure test might be the next course of action. Being you've replaced a lot already, hard to tell what could be left.

You might want to also check out the fuel pressure regulator if it's original. Usually the sniff test is a start, then you can test function if/when you do the pressure tests.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
mikeheather

1994 SL2

Bit more of an update. While I was driving the car around the block to warm up the engine for the compression test, the engine light came on. Code is 45 - O2 sensor indicates rich condition. Now I did have this prior to replacing the O2 sensor, so it appears that the O2 sensor is just the messenger of something else. Thoughts?

Also, I went ahead and check the compression numbers: 170, 130, 155, 130. Thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Without explaining exactly how you got those compression numbers they have minimal value, see below.

The rich condition could be a leaking exhaust system, see below.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT inlet with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

Compression testing
Crank the engine until the gauge quits increasing and compare both the final pressure and number of compression strokes to reach the max pressure, cylinder to cylinder. Any other method has no value for comparison in a forum setting. You can do this test either cold or hot or warm just mention it when stating results. For example if you find all cylinders produce a final reading of 200psi but the compression cycles are as follows: 1-8, 2-6, 3-8, 4-14 then it should be obvious that cylinder #4 has a serious problem with leakage past either the valves or compression rings.

To prevent washing the cylinders down with fuel remove the PCM B fuse to shut off the fuel pump, injectors, and ignition before starting the test. Remove all spark plugs and block the throttle open. Use a low charge rate battery charger to fully charge the battery before conducting the test.

FSM states the MINIMUM number of compression cycles is 10 and a Fully charged battery is required to obtain the full 250RPM cranking speed. The FSM also does not mention counting the compression cycles and recording them. This is because the high tech recording tester counts them for you and even a blind mechanic can see the differences on the chart. As most of us are doing this with a simple pressure gauge you have to count them yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
mikeheather

1994 SL2

On the compression test I followed what was indicated in the Richpin video.
  • Warmed the engine
  • Removed the fuel pump fuse and let the car die
  • Clamped open the throttle-body air intake
  • Unplugged the ICM
  • Removed all spark plugs
  • With the compress gauge attached, I would crank until the needle would no longer go any higher. This was upwards of 20 cranks.
Hope this helps to that regard.

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If you overtighten the tester into the engine it will leak and give low readings. The numbers you have posted would indicate that the engine should probably not even start let alone run. The tester is screwed into the head until the o-ring just contacts the head, do not squash. It will be much easier to just pull the PCM B fuse and block the throttle open. Be absolutely sure the battery is actually fully charged as well.

I have no idea exactly what went wrong but if those numbers are valid you need a new engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
mikeheather

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you overtighten the tester into the engine it will leak and give low readings. The numbers you have posted would indicate that the engine should probably not even start let alone run. The tester is screwed into the head until the o-ring just contacts the head, do not squash. It will be much easier to just pull the PCM B fuse and block the throttle open. Be absolutely sure the battery is actually fully charged as well.

I have no idea exactly what went wrong but if those numbers are valid you need a new engine.
Okay, so let me put the compression activity aside for the moment. Would an exhaust leak explain the symptoms I'm experiencing?

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It can be part of the problem. It is a free item to test and there are several gaskets in that exhaust system that may easily fail.

I would go to a parts store and have the battery and alternator load tested as low voltage will do this. The ignition system is incredibly sensitive to minor low voltage conditions.

Other items in no specific order are:
ECTS
Thermostat
Dirty Throttle body
shot plugs or incorrect type
defective plug wires
failing ICM
failing TPS

Thee are some more possibilities but they are a much lower probablility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
mikeheather

1994 SL2

I'm getting closer. Took the car to the parts store and had the load test done on the battery and alternator. Battery is good. The output on the alternator failed sometimes and passed sometimes. Seems like the failure lined up when the engine/idle was struggling. So the guy told me to go through and check all the grounds, before ripping out the alternator.

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
mikeheather

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheather View Post
So the guy told me to go through and check all the grounds, before ripping out the alternator.
So any particular ground connections I should be looking for? The obvious ones seem good (battery to engine and chassis.

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Power to the alternator is thru a fusible link wire attached between the alternator post and starter solenoid. The fusible link wire is one of two wires on the starter solenoid - the other wire is from the battery. Be sure this fusible link wire isn't frayed on both ends. Tug each connection and see if the wire pulls apart. It shouldn't. You can measure battery voltage at the alternator. If voltage is good there, alternator ground is its case bolted to the engine block. Engine ground must be clean and free of corrosion to the chassis stud which should be clean and free of corrosion. If grounds and power connections are good, replace the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #14
mikeheather

1994 SL2

Problem solved!!

The solution was the fuel pressure regulator. Once that was replace, the car runs like a champ. Can sit at a stop light forever and the RPMs sit at about 700 and never budge. Can take the car on the tollway and cruise at 70+ MPH and no drops in power.

Seems like I have replaced about everything on the car. Beside what was listed above, the car has all new suspension and front-end as well. Car handles great. Now my two teenagers can drive a reliable car all around town. Only thing I have to worry about is them wrecking it

Cheers,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #15
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

On the plus side, your teenagers should now have a car that has very few sensors and such that aren't new. Make sure they don't tear it up, and make them check the oil a LOT.

If I let my daughter start using the SL1, an oil check log will be a "mandatory or you lose the keys" thing.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote